Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changing MTU Size

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Changing MTU Size

Old 08-03-2018, 01:44   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Changing MTU Size

Hi Guys, im wondering if anyone can answer a question for me.

Im using Private Internet Access as a VPN and sometimes the speed can be dire even on different servers around the globe. Now looking at the manual for my Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 it states that if u have slow VPN speed to change the MTU size but it doesnt give a clear indication as to what size to try.

I know default is 1500 but can anyone point me in the right direction.

BTW... all ports are routed correctly for the VPN in port forwarding so that isnt the issue.

Thanks.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2018, 02:02   #2
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing MTU Size

Issue could be your route to the vpn is congested ? Has it always been bad or is this a recent thing.. Possibly your route from VM -> their carrier is congested or on a poor link.

1500 is max unless you enable Jumbo framing then it can go to 9k most likely not supported by the vpn

in terms of lower values you could try 1492,1432,1488
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:22   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

You can use ping to test values ;

Quote:
ping -l 1472 -f example.com
if the ping succeeds, you have a good MTU.

If it fails with "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.", then the MTU is too big.

FYI, 1472 works ok on my PC.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:38   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
BTW... all ports are routed correctly for the VPN in port forwarding so that isnt the issue
It is unfortunately and that is why I stopped using PIA a couple of years ago. I can't remember the exact option because I haven't got the client anymore but there were two fields, one for specifying a port number and one for something else. If I left both of those empty (which you can) the vpn would be fine and most people would probably be non the wiser. The problem I had was that when I used torrents they would start off at 1-2MB/sec and after a minute or so my vpn connection would drop and I would have to reconnect again, the torrent would start going again and then a minute later the connection would drop again. The only way I could get round it was to force port forwarding (which connects you to a more limited pool of servers) and whatever the other option is which maintained a stable connection but it would never go above 70k/sec. Once my 1 year subscription was up I left it because it was useless. I don't know what the technical ins and outs are but your speed issues are down to the fact that you are using port forwarding and whatever they are doing their end.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 13:13   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It is unfortunately and that is why I stopped using PIA a couple of years ago. I can't remember the exact option because I haven't got the client anymore but there were two fields, one for specifying a port number and one for something else. If I left both of those empty (which you can) the vpn would be fine and most people would probably be non the wiser. The problem I had was that when I used torrents they would start off at 1-2MB/sec and after a minute or so my vpn connection would drop and I would have to reconnect again, the torrent would start going again and then a minute later the connection would drop again. The only way I could get round it was to force port forwarding (which connects you to a more limited pool of servers) and whatever the other option is which maintained a stable connection but it would never go above 70k/sec. Once my 1 year subscription was up I left it because it was useless. I don't know what the technical ins and outs are but your speed issues are down to the fact that you are using port forwarding and whatever they are doing their end.
What VPN do u use now? My year is up in June.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You can use ping to test values ;

if the ping succeeds, you have a good MTU.

If it fails with "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.", then the MTU is too big.

FYI, 1472 works ok on my PC.
I will try this thanks.
Old 08-03-2018, 17:29   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
What VPN do u use now? My year is up in June
I don't. I wanted a vpn at the time because I was using 2 public trackers but I have switched to a strict private tracker now which is invite only. I am reluctant to try other vpns because PIA was supposed to be the best and if "the best" can't provide a stable connection or reliable speed over the alleged multiple gigabit links then there is not much hope.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 19:30   #7
alanbjames
R.I.P.

I Hear tunnelbear VPN supposed to be good.
Old 08-03-2018, 21:32   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I use VPNArea

https://www.bestvpn.com/vpnarea-review/
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:23   #9
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road

Have they removed the traffic shaping? They used to allocate a fixed chunk of bandwidth to torrents and VPN from memory. I know that used to impact me in the evenings when I was using our company VPN.
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:54   #10
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

A little off topic but I now see that PIA no longer allows you to view IPlayer when you are outside the Uk.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:44   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev445 View Post
Have they removed the traffic shaping? They used to allocate a fixed chunk of bandwidth to torrents and VPN from memory. I know that used to impact me in the evenings when I was using our company VPN.
IIRC traffic management is only on upstream now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
A little off topic but I now see that PIA no longer allows you to view IPlayer when you are outside the Uk.
VPNArea still has a BBC iPlayer server.

Last edited by pip08456; 09-03-2018 at 12:53.
Old 09-03-2018, 13:33   #12
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them
Thumbs down Re: Changing MTU Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
IIRC traffic management is only on upstream now.

VPNArea still has a BBC iPlayer server.
I was told that although the VPN providers rotate there IP addresses the BBC soon recognises them and blocks access!!!
Old 09-03-2018, 14:35   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
I was told that although the VPN providers rotate there IP addresses the BBC soon recognises them and blocks access!!!
Then you continue to believe whoever told you. I have no problem with that.

I do know others that can continue access elsewhere.

THB I have no interest in any BBC content.
Old 09-03-2018, 15:13   #14
Peter729
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Then you continue to believe whoever told you. I have no problem with that.

I do know others that can continue access elsewhere.

THB I have no interest in any BBC content.
I can only relate what I was told by someone who is usually a good source, the explanation appears to be reasonable but I have no way to verify its accuracy or validity so neither believe or disbelieve it. I do know that my PIA VPN no longer allows access to BBC Iplayer when I am overseas.
Old 09-03-2018, 15:32   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
I can only relate what I was told by someone who is usually a good source, the explanation appears to be reasonable but I have no way to verify its accuracy or validity so neither believe or disbelieve it. I do know that my PIA VPN no longer allows access to BBC Iplayer when I am overseas.
Then try a VPN that allows it. VPNArea will refund a one month payment ( as a new customer) if it doesn't deliver what it says on the tin.

OK you have to pay 1 month in advance but if after 7 days it doesn't do what they say and you are unhappy they will happily refund you the (about £8.00) you paid.

If you end up happy you can get a yearly sub at about half the price. What have you got to lose?