Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What uses up data

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What uses up data

Old 10-03-2015, 19:37   #1
Margaret
cf.member

Margaret is on a distinguished roadMargaret is on a distinguished road
What uses up data

I have the £5 month bundle with unlimited texts minutes and 250megabytes web.
Normally I stay well within the limit. my allowances renewed 2 days ago and up to this morning I still had 235 megabytes left.
I have just had a text from virgin to say I only have 35megabytes left. I have been at home all day just connected to my own wifi.
What sort of things could use up this data.
I have looked up some things on the web but only for a few minutes at a time.

Hope somebody can help

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Just had another text to say that all my allowance has been used up.
What sort of apps are using all my data?
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2015, 21:20   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: What uses up data

You'll have to ask your phone. Your phone keeps track of what apps used how much data, we don't.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:22   #3
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Are you sure that you are using the WiFi? I've done that before, thought I was using WiFi and wasn't. Also, do you turn mobile data off when using the WiFi? If not it might explain it. Do you have emails syncing automatically throughout the day, or apps that refresh on their own every now and then? Things like Facebook and Twitter can use a lot of data.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:24   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I'm hopeful someone will be along soon who can provide a useful suggestion.Ah I see they have.
Old 10-03-2015, 22:40   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have a 20GB allowance so I don't worry.

But I know I have set my weather app to update every hour.

My 2 email account I have set up on my phone to about every 10 mins.

Facebook & twitter to receive as sent.

Various app update as they are opened

A little here and there all adds up.
Old 10-03-2015, 23:16   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I'm hopeful someone will be along soon who can provide a useful suggestion.Ah I see they have.
What? The answer I gave is not only the only the most accurate way but also the ONLY reliable way of answering the question...

Unless I'm missing something the only way someone will be along who can provide a better suggestion is if they're psychic AND has remote access to the OP's phone.
Old 10-03-2015, 23:18   #7
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Make sure that you have things set to update only over Wifi - you may think you are in Wifi range, but if the Wifi drops out, then it will eat data.

You can also set the device to limit mobile data usage.

Get a Wifi analyser app and check signal / congestion etc.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wifi.analyzer - the one I use ... has ads.

NB. If ads update over mobile data, that can drip away - especially annoying if you have day rate data - one reason I deserted VM PAYG for Three's 1p/MB flat rate
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:08   #8
Margaret
cf.member

Thanks for the replies.
Just checked my phone and it appears that it is Google+ that has been using all the data.
What is the best way to stop this?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:37   #9
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

I only allow updates by Wi-Fi only Margaret.

Updating apps on Wi-Fi can help lower your mobile data usage on your mobile.
Open the Google Play Store app Google Play Store.
Touch the Menu icon Google Play Store Menu Icon > Settings.
Under "General," select Auto-update apps.
Select Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only.
Hope this helps you
Old 11-03-2015, 11:15   #10
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Also if you don't use Google plus, uninstall all the updates, then disable it.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:50   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Just checked my phone and it appears that it is Google+ that has been using all the data.
What is the best way to stop this?
Google+ incorporates a lot of things, not least of which is auto-backup of your photos and images to Google's servers. This usually only happens on WiFi but as others mentioned it can be changed either deliberately or by accident.
Old 11-03-2015, 13:11   #12
Margaret
cf.member

I do already have it set to only backup over wifi. Hopefully as well I have turned auto backup off.
Still have nearly a month without my free data allowance, how will I get charged?
Thanks for all replies
Old 11-03-2015, 13:17   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I don't know about charging but it sounds like you have an Android phone if you have Google+ on your system. If so you should be able to set a data usage limit and warning to prevent this happening in future - set the limit to lower than your allowance (e.g. 50Mb) each week and increase it manually if needed. This will stop any program gobbling up the entire months' allowance in one go, either deliberately or by accident.
Old 11-03-2015, 14:43   #14
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Hi Margaret. If you exceed the data included in your tariff you will move onto the daily rate for data. I don't have VM Mobile but it looks as though it could cost £1.00 a day.

I think your best bet would be to have a look at the following link.( scan down to the 'Data' section) A live chat box pops up and you could double check to be on the safe side.

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-...l-charges.html
Old 11-03-2015, 15:56   #15
Margaret
cf.member

Thanks to you both.
I have put my limit down to 50mb
I tried the live chat but it was only for new sales and I have to ring them which I will try later