Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Charges for receiving calls from overseas

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Charges for receiving calls from overseas

Old 14-01-2015, 07:06   #1
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road
Charges for receiving calls from overseas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...sten-them.html

I guess if you don't have roaming set up and turn off mobile data and/or wifi, you won't get charged?
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2015, 07:54   #2
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society
Re: Charges for receiving calls from overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...sten-them.html

I guess if you don't have roaming set up and turn off mobile data and/or wifi, you won't get charged?
If people are on O2 they should download TU Go, that way they can use Wi-Fi (Which most hotels should have nowadays) and be able to make and receive calls including voicemail anywhere and it'll count as being in the UK so would use your allowed minutes.

I was advised about it by an O2 CS agent because my signal indoors in my home is terrible and it's a godsend really.

Anyway, nothing really new here, calling voicemail abroad has always charged. Annoying, but a reminder to be careful when using your phone on holiday or business overseas.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 08:16   #3
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road

But I'm on Virgin so that doesn't apply to me. Doesn't really answer my question.
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 08:22   #4
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

I'm really not sure what the Daily Whale is trying to say here. Is it the scenario of an incoming call whilst you're roaming, being busied out to answerphone - you're then paying for both "legs" of that call? If so, Orange certainly got rid of those charges quite a few years back and I'd be extremely surprised if EE for one has brought them back in.

If their "story" is something else, then I hope someone else can explain...
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 08:29   #5
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

I think there is something new here, thanks for pointing it out. I think the answer here is to turn off voicemail before you leave the UK.
In the past when I`ve been on hol in Egypt, if someone left a voicemail, I`d get the message to say I`ve got new voicemail. If I ignored that and didnt listen, then I didnt get charged but it looks like they are now charging even if I dont listen to it.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 08:32   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

What they are saying is, if you are outside the EU, and someone phones you, and they get diverted to your voicemail, as soon as they hear the beep, the meter is running. Your mobile operator charges you as if you were answering the call, for as long as the caller is recording their message.

If you later dial in to your voicemail to listen to the message, then you get charged again for that call. It seems that the only way of avoiding this is to set your voicemail to advisory message only, and prevent anyone leaving you a message while you're outside the EU.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 10:25   #7
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What they are saying is, if you are outside the EU, and someone phones you, and they get diverted to your voicemail, as soon as they hear the beep, the meter is running. Your mobile operator charges you as if you were answering the call, for as long as the caller is recording their message.

If you later dial in to your voicemail to listen to the message, then you get charged again for that call. It seems that the only way of avoiding this is to set your voicemail to advisory message only, and prevent anyone leaving you a message while you're outside the EU.
Ah, that's a bit cheeky. I can avoid calling voicemail while abroad but didn't know that outside the EU that you would be charged for even getting the message in the first place. With my work I only travel in the EU so that didn't cross my mind, apologies to the OP.

Good idea with the voicemail settings too.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 10:38   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

In order for a call to go to voicemail, a call has to be made and not answered. At least during that time there is an international phone connection. What happens in the event of somebody answering the call during any leaving of a voicemail? Is the voicemail interrupted and you can speak to the caller? I don't know how the system works. If so, then during that time the connection to the receivers phone has to be constantly active. That would be a set of valid reasons for this charging. If this is the case then perhaps there needs to be an option of not being able to interrupt an active voicemail, thereby avoiding the extra cost.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 17:02   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
I think there is something new here, thanks for pointing it out. I think the answer here is to turn off voicemail before you leave the UK.
This isn't new. This has been recommended by the networks themselves for over fifteen years.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
In order for a call to go to voicemail, a call has to be made and not answered. At least during that time there is an international phone connection. What happens in the event of somebody answering the call during any leaving of a voicemail? Is the voicemail interrupted and you can speak to the caller? I don't know how the system works.
No. The system does not work that way. The voicemail system has nothing to do with the phone. It's an underlying redirect in the GSM that sends the call to a machine somewhere else. There is no connection to the user's handset. They cannot answer the call during the voicemail being left because the call has already been sent somewhere else.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 17:16   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
This isn't new. This has been recommended by the networks themselves for over fifteen years.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

No. The system does not work that way. The voicemail system has nothing to do with the phone. It's an underlying redirect in the GSM that sends the call to a machine somewhere else. There is no connection to the user's handset. They cannot answer the call during the voicemail being left because the call has already been sent somewhere else.
If the call is not answered it is not sent to the country you are roaming in, it is sent to your voicemail provider which operates in the UK, I cant see how they justify a roaming charge
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 17:21   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
Ah, that's a bit cheeky. I can avoid calling voicemail while abroad but didn't know that outside the EU that you would be charged for even getting the message in the first place. With my work I only travel in the EU so that didn't cross my mind, apologies to the OP.
You don't always get charged, it depends on what you set up and how. In short, you get charged if you originate a divert while abroad, because your mobile operator has to pay for the international call there and back. You do not get charged if the divert originates in the UK.

Firstly, to clarify to those who don't know, 'Voicemail' isn't a special magical black box. Going to voicemail is a normal phone call, handled by the GSM divert system. It is an ordinary phone call, and involves calling an ordinary phone number.

Without going into too much technical nitty gritty detail, the GSM divert system essentially has three modes of operation: Always, Busy/unanswered, and unreachable.

If you set up an 'Always' divert before you leave the UK, you do not get charged. Your home operator sends the call straight to voicemail without it ever going abroad.

If you use a busy/unanswered divert, the call first gets sent abroad to your foreign operator who sends a message to your handset telling it to ring. If you then reject the call, the handset sends a message back to the foreign operator's switchboard, and uses the foreign switchboard to connect the call to your UK voicemail number. This entails a charge because the call is going abroad and you are using the foreign operator's switchboard to set up a call back to your answering machine in the UK. Your network has to pay for this so historically they pass this charge on to the customer. Sometimes, they leave it out as an act of goodwill, or because of more modern interconnects that negate the additional step of sending it abroad and back again.

If you use an 'unreachable' divert, you do not get charged. Your home operator has nowhere to send the call, so it defaults to it going to voicemail, again without going abroad in the first place. Theoretically, if your phone rings, and then you pull out the battery without pressing reject, then the network reverts to this mode of operation. This used to be an interesting way of avoiding certain charges, many years ago...

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
If the call is not answered it is not sent to the country you are roaming in, it is sent to your voicemail provider which operates in the UK, I cant see how they justify a roaming charge
See my above post. If your phone rings, then your call does get sent abroad. If your phone does not ring, your call does not get sent abroad and there is no charge. At least that's how it used to work and how it's supposed to work, but knowing EE's horrifically retarded and buggy billing systems I would not be surprised if it couldn't make the distinction.
Old 14-01-2015, 17:26   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
You don't always get charged, it depends on what you set up and how. In short, you get charged if you originate a divert while abroad, because your mobile operator has to pay for the international call there and back. You do not get charged if the divert originates in the UK.

Firstly, to clarify to those who don't know, 'Voicemail' isn't a special magical black box. Going to voicemail is a normal phone call, handled by the GSM divert system. It is an ordinary phone call, and involves calling an ordinary phone number.

Without going into too much technical nitty gritty detail, the GSM divert system essentially has three modes of operation: Always, Busy/unanswered, and unreachable.

If you set up an 'Always' divert before you leave the UK, you do not get charged. Your home operator sends the call straight to voicemail without it ever going abroad.

If you use a busy/unanswered divert, the call first gets sent abroad to your foreign operator who sends a message to your handset telling it to ring. If you then reject the call, the handset sends a message back to the foreign operator's switchboard, and uses the foreign switchboard to connect the call to your UK voicemail number. This entails a charge because the call is going abroad and you are using the foreign operator's switchboard to set up a call back to your answering machine in the UK. Your network has to pay for this so they pass the charge on to you.

If you use an 'unreachable' divert, you do not get charged. Your home operator has nowhere to send the call, so it defaults to it going to voicemail, again without going abroad in the first place.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

See my above post. If your phone rings, then your call does get sent abroad. If your phone does not ring, your call does not get sent abroad and there is no charge.
If my phone rings and then the person hangs up, I don't get charged as I never answered the call.

When my phone rings and then goes to voicemail, it stops ringing abroad and then gets diverted to my voicemail. If what is actually happening is that the call goes from uk to spain, back to uk again thats a stupid system.

When the call goes to voicemail, EE should terminate the call and then dial directly to my voicemail
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 17:39   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
If my phone rings and then the person hangs up, I don't get charged as I never answered the call.
Correct. As I stated above, when your phone rings, it is simply instructed to ring by your foreign operator who hold the call in an unanswered state - there is never an actual 'connected call' happening.

Quote:
When my phone rings and then goes to voicemail, it stops ringing abroad and then gets diverted to my voicemail. If what is actually happening is that the call goes from uk to spain, back to uk again thats a stupid system.
It's the system that has been allowing you to use your phone and number abroad for the last twenty years. The divert system doesn't work optimally in this scenario as it was never designed to be used in this manner.

Quote:
When the call goes to voicemail, EE should terminate the call and then dial directly to my voicemail
The whole reason roaming works is because the foreign operator 'takes over' a vast majority of the functions of your home network, so your phone can't tell EE anything, it's connected to the foreign network, it can only tell your foreign network to send the call to voicemail.

Believe it or not, with some less-advanced networks your caller even has to then enter your phone number once connected to your voicemail, because your caller ID is dropped on the return leg so the answering machine cannot tell whose phone the incoming message is for.

* The ability to pass through commands from a roaming network to your home operator does vary by network and technology, so some are better than others at this. It's all very inconsistent when you have a smattering of every technology and roaming agreement set up over the last two decades
Old 14-01-2015, 22:47   #14
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
See my above post. If your phone rings, then your call does get sent abroad. If your phone does not ring, your call does not get sent abroad and there is no charge. At least that's how it used to work and how it's supposed to work, but knowing EE's horrifically retarded and buggy billing systems I would not be surprised if it couldn't make the distinction.
Orange changed their call setup procedure quite a while back now, if a call is sent to a foreign roaming network and is "busied" to answerphone, then the call is never actually released from the UK. To put it another way, unless the user actually answers the incoming call - that is the point when incoming call charges start to apply.

This has been "BAU standard procedure" in Orange's core network for as long as I can remember - I would think it has been carried across to EE.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 01:06   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Orange changed their call setup procedure quite a while back now, if a call is sent to a foreign roaming network and is "busied" to answerphone, then the call is never actually released from the UK. To put it another way, unless the user actually answers the incoming call - that is the point when incoming call charges start to apply.

This has been "BAU standard procedure" in Orange's core network for as long as I can remember - I would think it has been carried across to EE.
Yeah I know it's not so arcane on all networks. However most of EE is built on top of T-Mobile's core network with Orange core and edge kit getting discarded.