Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 15-11-2017, 11:46   #3841
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Whilst that is true, I think the trend will be away from pay tv linear broadcast channels and more towards OTT services.

If you no longer pay, say, £60 for your pay tv channels, you will be able to afford 5 or 6 streaming services instead. Plus of course the free on demand services such as the BBC i-Player, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, UKTV Play, the TV Player, and so on.
Oh ok so I'm potentially paying the same or more however receiving less.
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2017, 15:40   #3842
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think well that is different from your stance before when you proclaimed Linear TV to be as dead as a doornail.
I never did say that, Den, and I have reminded you of that more than once.

I said that:

1. The number of traditional linear channels would start to decline from about 5 years' time;

2. The number of traditional linear channels existing in 20 years' time will be very small or non existent, due to the massively increased use of OTT services, which were easier and more convenient to use.

That was about a year ago, so you can take a year off the 5 years and 20 years predictions.

As it happens, I may have been too pessimistic about the speed of change. Two traditional linear channels have already taken the decision to go on demand only (BBC3 and ITV Encore) so things have started moving in that direction four years earlier than I thought at the time.

The posts on here clearly demonstrate a strong trend, both in the US and the UK (as well as Europe) towards OTT services, and yet you continue to bury your head in the sand and tell us this will never happen.

I am still waiting for your explanation as to why you do not agree with this prediction, particularly when the TV industry seems to have come around to this point of view also, and the evidence is building up month by month.

If you are able to provide me with an up to date link that supports your view on this matter, I would be very interested to read it.

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
How do you make that out?

You would have all the terrestrials free of charge, the Sky channels via Now TV and however many streaming services you choose to subscribe to (on monthly contracts as well!).

If you chose Now TV for your Sky and Movie channels and you used an aerial or TV Player for the terrestrials, that would cost you about £18. Add Netflix and Amazon and that's another £16 or thereabouts. So that's £34 compared with £60, leaving you to spend £26 on other streaming services when they come, or alternatively you could save that money.

So why do you think it would be more expensive?
Old 15-11-2017, 17:08   #3843
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

On paper my streaming services are probably already more expensive than a TV sub when taking into account the cost of my VM broadband.
Off the top of my head its £3-£5 a month for Now TV Entertainment depending on what deals I find,
£5-£7 a month for Now TV movies again depending on what deals I find,
£20-£34 a month for Now TV Sports depending on whether I'm on a deal or not (9 months a year I'm probably on the £20 a month offer),
£4 a month for BT Sport,
£10 a month for Netflix,
£80 a year for Amazon Prime,
£130 a year for NFL Gamepass,
£20 a month for ESPN Player for the 5 months of the year of college football.

However I do share the cost of the services that allow more than one connection at once with trusted friends and family and if I was paying a full TV subscription I probably wouldn't be able to subscribe to the services I do that give me the content I want.

In other streaming news Channel 4 is making All 4 accounts mandatory early next year (all in the name of targeted advertising).

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/15/...-targeted-ads/
Old 15-11-2017, 20:59   #3844
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I never did say that, Den, and I have reminded you of that more than once.

I said that:

Quote:
1. The number of traditional linear channels would start to decline from about 5 years' time;
That is a fair change from what your original answer was.

Quote:
2. The number of traditional linear channels existing in 20 years' time will be very small or non existent, due to the massively increased use of OTT services, which were easier and more convenient to use.
Quite a big statement and one that is very unlikely to come true.

Quote:
That was about a year ago, so you can take a year off the 5 years and 20 years predictions.
Like a politician your answer seems to change from day to day.

Quote:
As it happens, I may have been too pessimistic about the speed of change. Two traditional linear channels have already taken the decision to go on demand only (BBC3 and ITV Encore) so things have started moving in that direction four years earlier than I thought at the time.
Both channels always had small audiences and like channels before new ones launch and a few disappear as that has happened in the history of modern TV if you care to search and look.

Quote:
The posts on here clearly demonstrate a strong trend, both in the US and the UK (as well as Europe) towards OTT services, and yet you continue to bury your head in the sand and tell us this will never happen.
The trend that will lead to the streaming giants winning all the major UK football and sporting rights then?.

Quote:
I am still waiting for your explanation as to why you do not agree with this prediction, particularly when the TV industry seems to have come around to this point of view also, and the evidence is building up month by month.

If you are able to provide me with an up to date link that supports your view on this matter, I would be very interested to read it
l have answered this one before but you have chosen to ignore viewpoints that don't suit your own views.

Old 15-11-2017, 23:45   #3845
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
TV Player have just had a shake up of their streaming packages and prices. It's a shocker. Nearly double the price it was for the same content.

https://tvplayer.com/plus
Old 15-11-2017, 23:47   #3846
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
TV Player have just had a shake up of their streaming packages and prices. It's a shocker. Nearly double the price it was for the same content.

https://tvplayer.com/plus
More channels are on way apparantly TCM, Universal, FOX and Syfy are joining tvplayer plus max soon.
Movies 24 is joining lite.
Old 15-11-2017, 23:57   #3847
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Amazon secures UK rights to the US Open
Amazon has taken the UK rights to the US Open, freezing out Eurosport which announced it had secured the tennis Grand Slam in continental Europe.
It follows Amazon’s acquisition of the ATP Tennis tour in the summer, outbidding Sky, which is now in the final year of its contract. Sky has also screened the US Open, taking first pick of matches that were then also made available to its rival.
The move has sparked renewed speculation as to whether Amazon will now go on to make a bid for other sporting rights, including the Premier League.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017...o-the-us-open/
Old 16-11-2017, 00:19   #3848
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
More channels are on way apparantly TCM, Universal, FOX and Syfy are joining tvplayer plus max soon.
Movies 24 is joining lite.
What I would say is TV Player are now offering some of the channels in HD. Boxnation launching on there was a surprise. Still a stand alone subscription at £12 per month. I wonder if that paves the way for other subscription channels like Premier Sports launching on their platform?
Old 16-11-2017, 00:29   #3849
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
What I would say is TV Player are now offering some of the channels in HD. Boxnation launching on there was a surprise. Still a stand alone subscription at £12 per month. I wonder if that paves the way for other subscription channels like Premier Sports launching on their platform?
Yeah boxnation was a surprise one thing is for sure tvplayer aren't messing around and look like they're here to stay.
They also offer the ppv channel itv box office too, be very interesting to see what tvplayer add in the future.
Old 16-11-2017, 10:15   #3850
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yeah boxnation was a surprise one thing is for sure tvplayer aren't messing around and look like they're here to stay.
They also offer the ppv channel itv box office too, be very interesting to see what tvplayer add in the future.
I think TV Player might end up being a major threat to Sky, Virgin Media, BT and Talk Talk. The price will go up with more channels, but it should remain far cheaper than traditional pay tv packages.

A Now TV/TV Player subscription sounds a very attractive proposition.
Old 16-11-2017, 13:30   #3851
theone2k10
Inactive

Very interesting article on the back page of the latest edition of webuser. The writer recons SKY might be dead in 10 years time, he also confirmed what OB has been saying that Amazon are indeed intending to go for football rights in the UK.
His article suggests once SKY lose the football it will be the beginning of the end for SKY tv.
Me personally i don't think it'd be the end of SKY but losing the football will certainly hurt them and they would have to think greatly about their pricing structure.
Old 16-11-2017, 13:39   #3852
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Very interesting article on the back page of the latest edition of webuser. The writer recons SKY might be dead in 10 years time, he also confirmed what OB has been saying that Amazon are indeed intending to go for football rights in the UK.
His article suggests once SKY lose the football it will be the beginning of the end for SKY tv.
Me personally i don't think it'd be the end of SKY but losing the football will certainly hurt them and they would have to think greatly about their pricing structure.
I don't think it'll be the end of them either. They have 11 million TV subscribers but only around 5 million SKY Sports subscribers across all TV platforms. That means the vast majority of their TV customer base are happy to have a sport free subscription. Would they lose subscribers? Of course, probably millions of them but they'd still retain more than enough to make a non sport service viable. They'd still remain the biggest pay TV provider in the UK.... for a while.
Old 16-11-2017, 14:19   #3853
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
I don't think it'll be the end of them either. They have 11 million TV subscribers but only around 5 million SKY Sports subscribers across all TV platforms. That means the vast majority of their TV customer base are happy to have a sport free subscription. Would they lose subscribers? Of course, probably millions of them but they'd still retain more than enough to make a non sport service viable. They'd still remain the biggest pay TV provider in the UK.... for a while.
Agreed i rejoined SKY recently never took sports or movies just joined them for entertainment channels and documentarys got a cracking deal too £15p/m for 18 months.
Old 16-11-2017, 14:46   #3854
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

Chad, 5 million sports subscribers is almost 50% of their total subscribers, so if they lost that many customers it would be a huge financial blow to them, I don't think they would go bust, but you never know.
Old 16-11-2017, 16:51   #3855
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

There's a few answers to that , who says all those 5 million are football viewers ?

Sky currently pays nearly £1.4 billion a year which would be money it could spend elsewhere.

Who says the winning bidder wouldn't want it's content available across other platforms.

Should this happen it's likely Sky will have already been snapped up by a bigger player even if it's not Fox so I'm pretty sure they'll still be here.
Closed Thread