Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated]U.S hold diplomatic Summit with North Korea

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated]U.S hold diplomatic Summit with North Korea

Old 12-03-2018, 10:28   #196
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: North Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Bit suspicious. I don't trust North Korea and this is rather out of character for them. North Korea remain pretty unlikely to be invaded/attacked as long as they don't start anything and are protected by China so why make any concessions? What do they want in return? I also find the idea he wants to meet with Trump dubious too, the Americans should make sure they've already made some steps before agreeing.

Still if it does work out then it's a significant foreign policy achievement for Trump and a relief for everyone else.
Lifting of sanctions? Not exactly rocket science.

The increased sanctions must be affecting them which also shows China playing the game.

Rather than approaching this with suspicion it should be welcomed. Obviously the devil will be in the detail but it's a start and should not be denied.

Any agreement needs a starting point. Talk,talk rather than war,war.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2018, 10:37   #197
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Lifting of sanctions? Not exactly rocket science

The increased sanctions must be affecting them which also shows China playing the game.
Yes obviously lifting of sanctions but to what extent? I don't see them entering the world economy any time soon and they've been under sanctions for so long that you wonder why it sudden bothered them now. It's not as if it has brought domestic pressure onto their leaders or really impacts their leaders in the way the Iranian sanctions did.

Quote:
Rather than approaching this with suspicion it should be welcomed. Obviously the devil will be in the detail but it's a start and should not be denied.
You can do both. I welcome it but it's North Korea so you would have to be pretty naive not to approach it with a lorry load of salt.

Last edited by Damien; 12-03-2018 at 10:42.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48   #198
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yes obviously lifting of sanctions but to what extent? I don't see them entering the world economy any time soon and they've been under sanctions for so long that you wonder why it sudden bothered them now. It's not as if it has brought domestic pressure onto their leaders or really impacts their leaders in the way the Iranian sanctions did.

You can do both. I welcome it but it's North Korea so you would have to be pretty naive not to approach it with a lorry load of salt.
Wow Damien you either super stupid or super intelligent IDK.

They are so suddenly bothered because their long time sponsor (China) has acted.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:49   #199
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Old 12-03-2018, 11:50   #200
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Old 12-03-2018, 13:16   #201
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Wow Damien you either super stupid or super intelligent IDK.

They are so suddenly bothered because their long time sponsor (China) has acted.
Or, they've realised that they can manipulate Trump - they've got him to agree to meet, which no other President would do; what Trump has given them is a massive ego boost, by saying Kim Jong Un has made Trump meet with him by building up his ICBM and nuclear arsenal - tremendous publicity coup.

Kim Jong Un wants to be seen as Donald Trump’s equal, and a meeting would do that - just by sitting down with President Trump, Kim Jong Un would get what he craves the most: legitimacy.

He wants to be treated as an equal by the global superpower, and a photo opportunity with the most powerful leader in the free world would go a long way to helping him achieve that, and this is what his father and his grandfather wanted: to be on the same footing as the world’s greatest power.

One commentator said “A meeting with the American president has for decades been considered the prize at the end of a successful denuclearization process, not an incentive to get the process started, and neither Kim’s father nor grandfather made it to that finish line,” he added. “So I have to grudgingly take my hat off to Kim because he’s played a very poor hand brilliantly to get there.”

by the way, just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't give you the right to be very rude and call them super stupid; it's a very complex subject, not easily resolvable.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 12-03-2018 at 13:30.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 13:23   #202
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Im sure i read somewhere that China has become more and more distant from North Korea over the past few years. Phaps China has told Kim where to go basically.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 13:52   #203
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or, they've realised that they can manipulate Trump - they've got him to agree to meet, which no other President would do; what Trump has given them is a massive ego boost, by saying Kim Jong Un has made Trump meet with him by building up his ICBM and nuclear arsenal - tremendous publicity coup.

Kim Jong Un wants to be seen as Donald Trump’s equal, and a meeting would do that - just by sitting down with President Trump, Kim Jong Un would get what he craves the most: legitimacy.

He wants to be treated as an equal by the global superpower, and a photo opportunity with the most powerful leader in the free world would go a long way to helping him achieve that, and this is what his father and his grandfather wanted: to be on the same footing as the world’s greatest power.

It's a positive development if the North Koreans are interesting in talking but we should be careful as to what their intentions are. Too many people taking them at face value which is naive for a country that has been unpredictable for decades.

As much as I don't like Trump I still don't want to see a President 'played' by North Korea. I really don't like North Korea. The threat to their neighbours and the horrors they've inflicted on their own population isn't to be underestimated.

If Trump gets real concessions then that will be quite the success however.
Old 12-03-2018, 14:29   #204
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

One commentator said “A meeting with the American president has for decades been considered the prize at the end of a successful denuclearization process, not an incentive to get the process started, and neither Kim’s father nor grandfather made it to that finish line,” he added. “So I have to grudgingly take my hat off to Kim because he’s played a very poor hand brilliantly to get there.”

by the way, just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't give you the right to be very rude and call them super stupid; it's a very complex subject, not easily resolvable.
How predictable , that I would expect you to come up with this, that no other President would meet with Kim Jong Un, give him what he wants, it’s as if you have been watching low ratings & Fake News CNN. Because they’ve been saying the same nonsense.

No, no other president wouldn’t and didn’t, because they would not get the opportunity and didn’t even try, with the laidback super soft approach they had.. too busy caring what other world leaders would think of them, if they went in super heavy, threatening to totally obliterate them which is exactly what Trump did and Mattis. Trump does not give a shit, what other world leaders think of him, that’s one of the personal traits that got him elected.

The North Korea threat has been ignored by all the other former Presidents, for decades. Allowing them to build up their Nuclear capability. Trump is totally spot on, that this should have been sorted decades ago.

It is time to sit down and try resolve this, face to face if necessary or are you saying let’s carry on with how it is now, because you cannot possibly accept that Trump would go down in History has one of the most successful Presidents of all time, for heralding a massive peace keeping treaty and finally securing the safety of the Korean Peninsula?

But for you, let’s keep having North Korea throwing up ICBM with Potential Nuclear capability over Japan.

Trump could never win with the Crooked Hillary fans, they were mocking him for his tough stance, saying he is going to get everyone killed in a nuclear conflict but now Trump is going the diplomatic route, which is the best option out of all of them and he still can’t win. It’s pathetic.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 14:51   #205
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

No need to be rude just because you disagree with me - you may think it’s bollocks, I see it as a different viewpoint.

I have disagreed with you in the past, but never said you speak bollocks.
Old 12-03-2018, 14:53   #206
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
How predictable , that I would expect you to come up with this that no other President would meet with Kim Jong Un, give him what he wants, it’s as if you have been watching low ratings & Fake News CNN. Because they’ve been saying the same nonsense.
Meeting with the President is itself seen as a mark of respect. If you're a hostile nation, i.e Iran, you generally have to make some concession or progress to be granted it.

Obama was cautious with meeting the President of Iran for example. There were backchannel meetings with less senior members of the administrations and eventually a phone call. All whilst the Iranian deal slowly became more likely. He didn't sit down with the President from the get-go. That's what Hugh is getting at.

Quote:
It is time to sit down and try resolve this, face to face if necessary or are you saying let’s carry on with how it is now, because you cannot possibly accept that Trump would go down in History has one of the most successful Presidents of all time, for heralding a massive peace keeping treaty and finally securing the safety of the Korean Peninsula?
Yes but I think Trump should ensure they get something first. The worst case scenario is the meeting happens and Kim Jong-un gets footage if it happening, internal NK broadcasts boast of the historical mark of respect by the 'evil Americans', and no concessions are made.

It's also worth noting that these deals have happened before and fallen though because you cannot trust North Korea. Clinton hasn't gone down in history as one of the most successful Presidents of all time for that because he gave them too much credit. As have South Korea. Under the last leadership it was common for NK to show a willingness to talk and deal before accepting aid and then going back to their old ways.

I agree that if Trump manages to get NK to de-arm and become a greater part of the world then that would be a historical achievement, easily the most successful of his Presidency irrespective of what he then does, but I don't trust NK at all.

Last edited by Damien; 12-03-2018 at 15:09.
Old 12-03-2018, 15:19   #207
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No need to be rude just because you disagree with me - you may think it’s bollocks, I see it as a different viewpoint.

I have disagreed with you in the past, but never said you speak bollocks.
Fair enough, I’ve edited my post accordingly and diplomatically offer my apologies.
Old 12-03-2018, 20:56   #208
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Thanks - very much appreciated.
Old 17-04-2018, 15:47   #209
Mick
Cable Forum Team

BREAKING: North and South Korea set to officially announce the end to War.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/17/nort...r&par=sharebar

Thank you, President Trump.
Old 17-04-2018, 16:11   #210
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Let's see what else that comes with first. They've not actually been at war for decades. Hopefully this comes with NK scaling back their nuclear weapons program for a start.