Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Texts From the USA

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Texts From the USA

Old 10-04-2015, 19:27   #1
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Texts From the USA

If I receive a text from someone on a US network, will I get any sort of charge for it, or are they free to me ?

I know in the past I got charged for texts sent to me from France/Spain, but that was a few years ago now.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2015, 20:48   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Texts From the USA

No its on the sender that will be charged.
Old 10-04-2015, 23:04   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

UK mobiles, as a rule, basically never get charged for receiving any texts from anyone anywhere, with the exception of premium-rate/reverse charge texts which you cannot send from normal phones.

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I know in the past I got charged for texts sent to me from France/Spain, but that was a few years ago now.
That shouldn't be possible. I suspect you're mistaken. You get charged for sending texts from your phone to France/Spain, never the other way round.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:45   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The only other time you may of got charged for receiving texts and calls is of you are away from your home network (i.e..roaming), not sure if that still happens but it was common with most networks.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 17:40   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
That shouldn't be possible. I suspect you're mistaken. You get charged for sending texts from your phone to France/Spain, never the other way round.
I am not mistaken, they were from a friend of mine and I did get charged.

It may well not be possible now, but like I said, this was a few years ago (about 2007). I dont think I was on Virgin back then either.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 19:08   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The only other time you may of got charged for receiving texts and calls is of you are away from your home network (i.e..roaming), not sure if that still happens but it was common with most networks.
No networks have charged for receiving text messages while roaming since at least 2000, again exception being "special" satellite networks that cost £6 a minute anyway...

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Quote:

It may well not be possible now, but like I said, this was a few years ago (about 2007). I dont think I was on Virgin back then either.
As above, it's not happened for at least 15 years, possibly longer, at least on all the main networks including Virgin.
Old 11-04-2015, 19:23   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

A euroSMS is fixed so yes you will not get charged and it has been that way for a bit but if an SMS is received outside of Europe or originated from outside Europe then a company can still charge you without problems from ofcom

Less than 5 years ago some UK companies were charging about 25cents to receive a text but these days it's rare to be charged.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 21:58   #8
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Several years ago while in Tenerife my son fell ill and was taken into hospital on the 2nd day of the holiday. At the time me and my wife were on Virgin pay as you go and I remember recieving a message from them about roaming charges which stated that there were extra charges for sending and recieving texts and calls. we spent over £100 on phone top-ups in a week keeping in touch. This was back in 2009.
djmagnifique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:10   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:

Many years when I got my first PAYG phone a Nokia 1620, I was charged to send and receive texts when I was in Northern Europe, but it was around 10p each.

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
No networks have charged for receiving text messages while roaming since at least 2000, again exception being "special" satellite networks that cost £6 a minute anyway...

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

As above, it's not happened for at least 15 years, possibly longer, at least on all the main networks including Virgin.
Well I was charged and this happened within the last 15 years.
Old 14-04-2015, 14:12   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
A euroSMS is fixed so yes you will not get charged and it has been that way for a bit but if an SMS is received outside of Europe or originated from outside Europe then a company can still charge you without problems from ofcom
They can, but don't. None of the major providers have done so since at least 2000.

Quote:
Less than 5 years ago some UK companies were charging about 25cents to receive a text but these days it's rare to be charged.
Name one? Orange, Vodafone, O2, T-Mobile, 3, and Virgin Mobile have had no charges to receive texts practically anywhere in the world except satellite networks (and even then most were free).

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
Several years ago while in Tenerife my son fell ill and was taken into hospital on the 2nd day of the holiday. At the time me and my wife were on Virgin pay as you go and I remember recieving a message from them about roaming charges which stated that there were extra charges for sending and recieving texts and calls. we spent over £100 on phone top-ups in a week keeping in touch. This was back in 2009.
There have always been charges for making and receiving calls and sending texts. There were no charges on any network for receiving texts in Tenerife in 2009.

Virgin's PAYG roaming charges as of 25th December 2008 are listed here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081225...ymentPlan=PAYG

showing that receiving texts anywhere in the world was completely free at end of 2008.

Virgin's PAYG roaming charges as of 9th July 2010 are listed here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100709...=PAYG&x=17&y=3

Showing that receiving texts anywhere in the world was still free in 2010.

In fact, they've been free since 2001:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...le/RD_fWhHpHRw

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Quote:

I suspect you're mistaken.

O2 had no charges for receiving text messages in any country in 2007:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070212...d/textmessages

3 had no charges for receiving text messages in any country in 2007:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070315...l_charging.omp

Orange had no charges for receiving text messages in any country in 2007:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080416...=1144404029946

Virgin had no charges for receiving text messages in any country in 2007:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071010...ymentPlan=PAYG

Vodafone & T-Mobile had no charges for receiving text messages in 2007 but their websites either only quote charges for sending (because there is no charge for receiving) or are just too retarded to navigate via archive.org.

Anyway, if you think about it it's obvious. The underlying reason no major network charges for receiving text messages are abroad is because you have absolutely no control over it at all. You can reject or block calls, turn off data, disable MMS retrieval and choose not to send messages. It is impossible to not receive text messages besides turning off your phone. There is no mechanism in the GSM standard to bar, forward, reject, or disable receiving text messages as can be done with calls. Your phone can ignore them once they're received, or decline reception during transmission for various reasons but only once the tower actively tries to deliver the message to your handset - by which time it has already been transmitted over the foreign network.

If it were chargeable, anybody with a grudge or spammy marketers can easily run up hundreds your bill or drain your credit without your consent with their unlimited free messages allowance, and there would be nothing you can do about it.

Which obviously doesn't happen.