Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | do virgin block p2p programmes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

do virgin block p2p programmes?

Old 05-08-2007, 17:35   #1
ginge51
Permanently Banned

Services: I'm on vm 10 meg
ginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to all
do virgin block p2p programmes?

hi all

i use sopcast,ppstream etc alot but lately nothing will buffer at all any1 know if vm blocks these programes from working please?

thx
ginge51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2007, 17:43   #2
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Re: do virgin block p2p programmees?

Nope, SopCast is working fine for me but PPMate isn't connecting.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 17:52   #3
vmtech
Inactive

Services: 20Mb broadband Sky tv
vmtech is an unknown quantity at this point

nope virgin dont block anything on them never used they programs but use p2p on mine many a times
vmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 18:22   #4
thechojin
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media,TV XL,Phone,20Mb BBi Sky+,BT
thechojin is an unknown quantity at this point

I got no issue with TVants and PPstream
thechojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 18:27   #5
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

If all the p2p was blocked mabey we could all get that 20Mb after all eh>joke<

I`ll keep my ktorrent and wibbly wobbly bb connection me thinks.
I`m certainly not paying more for decent newsgroup access thats for sure!

Not if my connection sorts itself out once the new modem comes anyway, although i may well consider it with the continued savings i`ll be making IF they are`nt sorted out.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 18:27   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Most problems with P2P relate to the required ports not functioning correctly.

You may also find various trackers, especially private ones, only allow certain torrent clients.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 20:39   #7
Agent47
Permanently Banned

Agent47 has ruffled too many feathersAgent47 has ruffled too many feathersAgent47 has ruffled too many feathersAgent47 has ruffled too many feathersAgent47 has ruffled too many feathersAgent47 has ruffled too many feathersAgent47 has ruffled too many feathers

i wish they would as Im fed up with pikeys using the bandwidth
Agent47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 21:08   #8
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
If they ban p2p, then no one would be able to use Skype and similar programs that use p2p technology

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 21:13   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
What have 'pikeys' got to do with anything?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 21:45   #10
susan
cf.member

susan is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess we are all pikey's,i would'nt have the internet if p2p world stopped.
susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 21:38   #11
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

I don't think you can get cable internet to a caravan...afaik VM will only install at fixed addresses.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 21:45   #12
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I don't think you can get cable internet to a caravan...afaik VM will only install at fixed addresses.
I doubt the travelers would be too worried about having their very own VM installations......would`nt they just be using the local good folks unsecured wireless connections after all?
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 20:35   #13
steve4571
Inactive

steve4571 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Yes they do!!!!! And they are going to get worse. I have had Virgin for 3 months and it has been that bad for me, I am payin £120 to get rid of it. I have spoken to the engineers and they inform me this is about to get a lot worse.
steve4571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:00   #14
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Funny that, cos I torrent most nights and it downloads and uploads a lot while I'm doing it. If I go to bed about midnight, I can expect by the time I wake up about 8am, to have uploaded a gig or more, and downloaded more than that if I'm on a particular downloading spree.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:42   #15
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4571 View Post
Oh Yes they do!!!!! And they are going to get worse. I have had Virgin for 3 months and it has been that bad for me, I am payin £120 to get rid of it. I have spoken to the engineers and they inform me this is about to get a lot worse.
They don't. They will be implementing application based throttling at some point, but it's not running at the moment.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote