Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ryanair Censured

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

IMF needs a sub ,and Britain obliges

Old 20-04-2012, 19:59   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
IMF needs a sub ,and Britain obliges

Quote:
Britain is to commit a further £10bn to the International Monetary Fund's bailout war chest.
George Osborne has confirmed the UK will give the extra cash in the face of fresh fears about a new economic and financial crisis in Europe.
Although the loan is sizeable, the Chancellor will not have to seek Parliamentary approval because it narrowly falls within the headroom he already has to provide to the Fund.
It means that Britain's exposure to the IMF, which is deeply involved with the euro bail-outs, will rise from just under £30bn currently to around £40bn.

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16212857

I thought we where skint .Should we be exposing ourselves further to other countries debt and risking what little financial stability we have on other countries defaulting on the loans that we have given out
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2012, 20:12   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: IMF needs a sub ,and Britain obliges

No!
Old 20-04-2012, 20:42   #3
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Where's Bono when you need him? can't he arrange a celebrity tax avoid... cough sorry whip-round?
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 21:04   #4
RizzyKing

When i first saw this i thought it was a joke seriously many people in this country are hurting in many ways because of austerity but it seems we have the money when it suits us or can look good am i the only one thats confused. George osbourne really is turning out to be quite the prat this after his debacle of a budget and a string of ineffective at best policys methinks it's time for a change at no11. Won't hold my breath on that though as he is such a close pal of dave's it is going to take something staggeringly bad to get him out of there.
Old 20-04-2012, 21:09   #5
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Let's not forget this amounts to a loan, our only concern should be whether or not we get it back at some point...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 21:18   #6
RizzyKing

"get it back" once it is given it is gone.
Old 20-04-2012, 21:22   #7
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
When i first saw this i thought it was a joke seriously many people in this country are hurting in many ways because of austerity but it seems we have the money when it suits us or can look good am i the only one thats confused. George osbourne really is turning out to be quite the prat this after his debacle of a budget and a string of ineffective at best policys methinks it's time for a change at no11. Won't hold my breath on that though as he is such a close pal of dave's it is going to take something staggeringly bad to get him out of there.
I don't know about a prat mate ,but i think he's bloody magician or a liar .Did he honestly think that being able to all of a sudden magic up £10billion after telling us a few weeks ago that we where skint and couldn't afford this and that ,that this would sneak by without being noticed .
Who's going to bail us out when one of the countries defaults on their loans and sends our already faultering economy down the toilet and around the u bend

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Let's not forget this amounts to a loan, our only concern should be whether or not we get it back at some point...
that's exactly what's worrying me Osem ,is it sensible to be lending countries who have possibly already gotten massive funding from the IMF even more increasing the chances of defaulting
Old 20-04-2012, 21:27   #8
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I don't know about a prat mate ,but i think he's bloody magician or a liar .Did he honestly think that being able to all of a sudden magic up £10billion after telling us a few weeks ago that we where skint and couldn't afford this and that ,that this would sneak by without being noticed .
Who's going to bail us out when one of the countries defaults on their loans and sends our already faultering economy down the toilet and around the u bend

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

that's exactly what's worrying me Osem ,is it sensible to be lending countries who have possibly already gotten massive funding from the IMF even more increasing the chances of defaulting
Who knows but it may be us who's needing an IMF bailout at somepoint. We're in uncharted waters...
Old 20-04-2012, 21:31   #9
RizzyKing

If we stopped giving out money we wouldn't be so bad off in times like this i don't think it is unreasonable to reign in the money given out be it to the imf or the eu and conserve as much money as you can to take care of your national population. What bothers me with all this bailout business is it has to be paid for sometime and i can just see us in the future squandering more of the UK's cash to be the one to help pay for it and i no longer have any faith in any politician and their promises of this and that.

Loan has become a byword for blowing the cash in relation to some countries and the countries doing the loaning will be lucky to see any substantial amount of it back i just don't want the UK to be one of those countries.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:00   #10
martyh

Is it coincidence that the amount (£10billion) committed is identical to the amount he can commit without seeking parliamentary approval ,I think not .He knew full well that he would not get approval, so he tried to sneak this through raising as little fuss as possible .I would like to know how much the IMF really asked for.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:50   #11
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm puzzled: We don't have any money so we'd need to loan it from somebody else to be able to loan it to the IMF. So why don't the IMF go to that somebody else and leave us out of the circuit?

Or is this about posing on the world stage like with foriegn aid?
It's all about safeguarding jobs ......aparently.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Quote:
The UK Treasury pointed out that no country has ever lost money lending to the IMF in its 67-year history
is that correct ?and if so how much do we make from lending money .

Quote:
It says its contribution to the IMF is not public spending. All UK loans to the IMF are financed from the UK's Official Reserves, remain UK assets and do not contribute to public sector net debt.
Hold on minute .We have £10billion ,probably much more ,sitting around doing nothing for the country ,a "war chest" if you will .Surely such a fund is for emergencies and bad times ......like now ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17790831
Old 21-04-2012, 13:17   #12
Osem
Inactive

No surprise to me - the Bank of England's been printing money like it was going out of fashion for quite some time. £10biliion? Simples.....
Old 21-04-2012, 13:19   #13
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
No surprise to me - the Bank of England's been printing money like it was going out of fashion for quite some time. £10biliion? Simples.....
surely that devalues it though doesn't it ?
Old 21-04-2012, 13:32   #14
Osem
Inactive

Yep.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/34...-the-currency/
Old 21-04-2012, 13:57   #15
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm puzzled: We don't have any money so we'd need to loan it from somebody else to be able to loan it to the IMF. So why don't the IMF go to that somebody else and leave us out of the circuit?

Or is this about posing on the world stage like with foriegn aid?
Exactly but we should add "at the expense of Grannies and Pasty manufacturers and to the detriment of the infirm and disabled."
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote