Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telephone Extension Points

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

0845 phone calls on Virgin. Excessive charge

Old 09-01-2012, 17:25   #1
Mark Up
Inactive

Mark Up is an unknown quantity at this point
0845 phone calls on Virgin. Excessive charge

How can Virgin Media justify the cost of calls to 0845 numbers. They are advertised as low cost numbers yet Virgin charge more than any other network for calls to these numbers. Virgin like BT calls to 0870 numbers are now free why not to 0845 numbers. Are there any plans afoot to change their current high charge policy to the 0845 numbers.
Mark Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2012, 18:54   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 0845 phone calls on Virgin. Excessive charge

If you do make lots of calls to 08 numbers Virgin do have plans that will cover these calls - you can have your usage reviewed via Customer Services who can then offer the best option for you
Old 09-01-2012, 19:19   #3
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

From what I've heard, the 'Talk 08' add-on has been the most common 'tickle' Virgin have been giving their phone customers lately.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 20:02   #4
Pipster
Inactive

Pipster is an unknown quantity at this point

The 08 thing is only for 0845 numbers and gives 250 minutes per month. Ive got it and have been told that by the CEO office. I was originally told that the 08 number thing was to 0870 numbers too and had rang around £60 worth. Virgin waived them after complaining but going forward its only 0845 numbers that are covered.

I don't like these tickle things, why should I pay £2 a month for that when people get it for nothing? Same witht he broadband. I pay for 50mb and yet for the same price people are getting 100mb.
Pipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 21:34   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There are two Talk 08 plans. The £2 a month one only covers 0845, however there is another one for £5 that covers all 08 numbers
Old 09-01-2012, 21:42   #6
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

So what would I pay for both when I got the £2 one for free (not on a tickle)?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 21:50   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

You'd pay £5 as one would replace the other
Old 09-01-2012, 23:04   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There are two Talk 08 plans. The £2 a month one only covers 0845, however there is another one for £5 that covers all 08 numbers
So this is out of date a month after I recieved it ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08 Tickle.jpg (70.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-01-2012, 23:12   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

No it's not out of date
Old 10-01-2012, 00:58   #10
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

0845 numbers used to be advertised as local rate, didn't they?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28   #11
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Started out as Local Rate, until they wanted to fiddle with the prices. Then it suddenly became Lo-Call rate.

Work it out for yourself !
Old 10-01-2012, 16:33   #12
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Actually businesses are not really meant to advertise 0845 as local rate or lo-call rate and 0870 as national rate numbers.

Telewest was the first to abolish seperate local and national rate calls and BT followed them making calls from 020 london area to Manchester no different to calling someone next door.

Then ofcom allowed BT to set its landline line rental as well as allowing long term contracts to whatever it likes, so if BT wanted wanted to charge £19.99 for line rental alone before any calls package or call charges it can, and before you only had to stay with BT for 3 months before leaving to another phone company or cancelling your phone service, now they have 12 and 18 month contracts!

That allows Virgin Media an excuse to bump up its landline line rental to the same as BT's or just slightly behind

1997:

Cable London line rental: £6.99 per month
BT Line Rental: £9.99 per month

2002:

Telewest line rental: £10 per month
BT line rental: £9.99 per month

2005: Free weekend calls introduced by the companies(the excuse for the increase) Not excusing the increase to the daytime call rates.

Telewest line rental: £10.50 per month
BT line rental: £11.49

2011:

Virgin Media: £13.90
BT: £14.60

So you tell me what they have done for us to put up the prices to that much and then have call connection fees as high as 9p to 14p per call and calls to landlines at 9.76p per minute! it is crazy, so for a 20 second call to next door it would be nearly 22p

There excuse is free calls to Virgin Mobiles,free calls at the weekends to landlines and BT's is free calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.

It doesn't cost them anything anyway! Furthermore, termination rates to mobiles have dropped a lot and rather than BT and Virgin Media drop the cost, they increase prices.

Why do they get away with it?

1. Nobody complains
2. Oftel is now defunct and Ofcom is too over run plus no individual complaints
3. People continue paying such high fees like it's some kind of tax.

If you subscribe to Talk 08, you're giving in to them and I would suggest you use saynoto0870.com

Soon, there will be a talk 0800 and talk 0207 and a talk 150 and last but not least Talk 999

If they could they would make you pay 10p everytime you lift the handset before even making any calls.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:46   #13
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Started out as Local Rate, until they wanted to fiddle with the prices. Then it suddenly became Lo-Call rate.

Work it out for yourself !
Ahh, not they old wording change to mislead people ploy? And I thought it was just retailers who did that. Don't OFCOM have anything to say about that?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:32   #14
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Yeah they do, it's banned! I'm sure they are not allowed to call them lo-call rate anymore since the introduction of 03 numbers, just to let you know that 0844 and 0843 from BT landlines cost less than 0845 and 0870 numbers outside call allowances.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 11:00   #15
More Than A pret
Inactive

More Than A pret is an unknown quantity at this point

I fully agree the cost 0845 on Virgin Media is ridiculous. It seems to me to be plain profitiring. Surely they can at least reduce the price to compete with other providers. An addition charge to get this service free is not the answer in our view!!
More Than A pret is offline   Reply With Quote