Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stay with GiffGaff or save £8 to change to Virgin?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Stay with GiffGaff or save £8 to change to Virgin?

Old 22-05-2022, 18:16   #1
kered10
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Big Kahuna with TiVo
kered10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stay with GiffGaff or save £8 to change to Virgin?

I was recently cold-called by Virgin to discuss my expiring BB/TV/landline discount. I asked enough questions to feel happy it wasn't scam, and ended up keeping Maxit TV, Anytime calls, and upgrading to 500Mb BB for £90/month for 18 months. There was some mention of a SIM, but I said I was happy with GiffGaff, who I pay £8/month to, for 3GB data, unlimited calls/texts.
Now that the dust has settled, I've looked at my new contract with VM, which is for £83/month, and they've sent me a SIM card for Virgin Mobile that will be £7/month for 10GB, unlimited calls/texts, whether I use it or not.
Virgin Mobile get less good reviews for customer service than GiffGaff, but then, I've not had to use customer service with a mobile operator for years.
The obvious thing is to get my PAC code and change and save the £8.
Does anyone have any supporting or opposing experience or opinion?
Thanks in advance,
Derek
kered10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2022, 18:25   #2
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Stay with GiffGaff or save £8 to change to Virgin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kered10 View Post
I was recently cold-called by Virgin to discuss my expiring BB/TV/landline discount. I asked enough questions to feel happy it wasn't scam, and ended up keeping Maxit TV, Anytime calls, and upgrading to 500Mb BB for £90/month for 18 months. There was some mention of a SIM, but I said I was happy with GiffGaff, who I pay £8/month to, for 3GB data, unlimited calls/texts.
Now that the dust has settled, I've looked at my new contract with VM, which is for £83/month, and they've sent me a SIM card for Virgin Mobile that will be £7/month for 10GB, unlimited calls/texts, whether I use it or not.
Virgin Mobile get less good reviews for customer service than GiffGaff, but then, I've not had to use customer service with a mobile operator for years.
The obvious thing is to get my PAC code and change and save the £8.
Does anyone have any supporting or opposing experience or opinion?
Thanks in advance,
Derek
I don't think GiffGaff have any proper customer service, just a forum to air problems. However if it's good customer service with VM you're after you may want to look elsewhere. Others may disagree but when I had a phone with them it wasn't plain sailing.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 18:28   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I switched from GiffGaff to Virgin due to them giving it me for free for 18 months but the 5GB sim. Had no issues although the signal appear slightly weaker in my area. Will switch it back to GiffGaff when it runs out unless they offer me another stonking deal

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I don't think GiffGaff have any proper customer service, just a forum to air problems. However if it's good customer service with VM you're after you may want to look elsewhere. Others may disagree but when I had a phone with them it wasn't plain sailing.
They have Agents now for questions the community can not answer
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 18:37   #4
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

So it's £90 per month whether you use it or not , guess it's £98 with Giffgaff or £90 using virgin ,do you get volt ? Might settle your dilemma , have you checked if you have a price increase on sim in April ? That could be as high as 13% give the raising cpi and the fixed 3.9% . Who knows what it will end up at ?
Old 23-05-2022, 09:36   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Are you sure its a virgin sim and not o2?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 11:40   #6
kered10
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Big Kahuna with TiVo
kered10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the helpful replies. It is definitely a Virgin SIM, not sure if I'm getting Volt but given I've gone from 100Mb to 500Mb, that's plenty. I think I'll probably go for it. I might leave it until next week when I've more spare time if there are any hitches to resolve!
kered10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 18:32   #7
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Fair enough I worry about the price rise with no option to cancel . Know it's 3.9% +