Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 29-10-2017, 20:40   #511
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit discussion

It is true that many Brexiters seem to positively joyful about the thought of the EU failing. See the salivating posts in our very own ' the Eurozone will collapse thread'. Don't think it will btw, it's doing quite well compared to the UK. If it did collapse it would be disaster for the UK whether we are inside or outside of the EU. They'll still be our main trading partner.

Last edited by Mr K; 29-10-2017 at 20:57.
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2017, 13:36   #512
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
No it doesn't and no they aren't two different things at all.
A person's level of education is not necessarily a good indicator of how intelligent they are. I work in a Uni and I deal with people with all kinds of qualifications, from students who have just left school with GCSEs and A levels up to doctors (not medical) and professors.

I've known people at all levels who it could be argued are stupid, and people at all levels who could be considered extremely intelligent. That said, the people who get to professor level tend to focus on their subject of expertise so tightly that everything else becomes irrelevant, which is often why they appear stupid in other areas. I've also known a few people who got a good education because they went to a good school, but are till stupid.
Old 31-10-2017, 10:06   #513
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41803604
Quote:
The Bank of England believes that up to 75,000 jobs could be lost in financial services following Britain's departure from the European Union.
Is this still Project Fear, or now Project Reality ?
Old 31-10-2017, 10:24   #514
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

Project Fake News. Just like it was when there was going to be a recession, There was going to be a war, just after the referendum vote.
Old 31-10-2017, 10:25   #515
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

Neither, it's Project We Don't Really Have A Clue But This Is What We Think Could Happen If The EU Does This Or That.

The reality is no-one knows, no-one will know until after we have left.
Old 31-10-2017, 10:29   #516
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

I have been away from the forum over the last week on holiday but have followed the news about an MP wanting lists of educators teaching about Brexit and the frankly disturbing rhetoric from the Mail about universities. It is an interesting point about the correlation between level of education and how people voted in the referendum and why this might be.

Certainly as I went through my education many moons ago, there was a definite trend from memorising to reasoning. At 'O'/GCSE level, a regurgitation of facts was enough to get by. By the time I got to degree level we had to assess facts and propose our theories on what these facts meant. At postgraduate level, I was desigining my own experiments to test hypotheses. I think the education system teaches people not just how to learn but also how to reason and there is an evolution from learning to reasoning as you go further. Of course, it isn't 100% learning at GCSE and 100% reasoning at degree level and the newer style of education at GCSE level is excellent at reviewing evidence for example (I feel that Micheal Gove trying to wind this back when he was education minister was a retrograde step)

There were comments about the difference between intelligence and education and this is right - you can have highly intelligent people who are not educated for whatever reason. However, I would suggest that the demands on intelligence become higher as you go through your education so you might have intelligent uneducated people but you are less likely to see unintelligent educated people. Here is a study backing this up - http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iq.htm

So why is there a correlation between education levels and voting to remain? I can think of two reasons;
  • Further and higher education gives a student the tools to assess evidence, think critically and independently produce hypotheses
  • Further and higher education establishments are hotbeds of trotskyites hell bent on destroying western civilisation
Old 31-10-2017, 11:02   #517
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I have been away from the forum over the last week on holiday but have followed the news about an MP wanting lists of educators teaching about Brexit and the frankly disturbing rhetoric from the Mail about universities. It is an interesting point about the correlation between level of education and how people voted in the referendum and why this might be.

Certainly as I went through my education many moons ago, there was a definite trend from memorising to reasoning. At 'O'/GCSE level, a regurgitation of facts was enough to get by. By the time I got to degree level we had to assess facts and propose our theories on what these facts meant. At postgraduate level, I was desigining my own experiments to test hypotheses. I think the education system teaches people not just how to learn but also how to reason and there is an evolution from learning to reasoning as you go further. Of course, it isn't 100% learning at GCSE and 100% reasoning at degree level and the newer style of education at GCSE level is excellent at reviewing evidence for example (I feel that Micheal Gove trying to wind this back when he was education minister was a retrograde step)

There were comments about the difference between intelligence and education and this is right - you can have highly intelligent people who are not educated for whatever reason. However, I would suggest that the demands on intelligence become higher as you go through your education so you might have intelligent uneducated people but you are less likely to see unintelligent educated people. Here is a study backing this up - http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iq.htm

So why is there a correlation between education levels and voting to remain? I can think of two reasons;
  • Further and higher education gives a student the tools to assess evidence, think critically and independently produce hypotheses
  • Further and higher education establishments are hotbeds of trotskyites hell bent on destroying western civilisation
I think it's simply that people who've got University educations are more likely to work in the service, white-collar, professions which have done well out of globalisation and the EU.

Those who left school, went right to work, and learnt their trade in something like manufacturing have been impacted negatively from globalisation. Manufacturing has declined, service sectors have increased. In some areas immigration is also perceived to have undercut the local workforce whereas this isn't the case for service workers
Old 31-10-2017, 11:13   #518
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Project Fake News. Just like it was when there was going to be a recession, There was going to be a war, just after the referendum vote.
You do realise Brexit has not actually happened yet? No one said the vote would cause a recession. They said that Brexit may well cause a recession.

It may do, it may not. However, in the absence of any hard information on what is going to happen, I would argue it is prudent to expect the worst, but hope to get the best. Certainly better than expecting the best, then finding out that is not going to happen whatever you do.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:27   #519
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
You do realise Brexit has not actually happened yet? No one said the vote would cause a recession. They said that Brexit may well cause a recession.

It may do, it may not. However, in the absence of any hard information on what is going to happen, I would argue it is prudent to expect the worst, but hope to get the best. Certainly better than expecting the best, then finding out that is not going to happen whatever you do.
No Stuart that is just not accurate. It was said by a few on the Remain side that if leave won, there would be a recession and job losses, right after the vote.

Quote:
“He [Mark Carney] warned that there would be a technical recession, but that is a recession … he said that, he was completely wrong, the Treasury was worse, it said there would be between 500,000 and 800,000 jobs lost purely on a vote to leave, not actually anything happening, just on the vote”

Jacob Rees-Mogg, 26 October 2017
Old 31-10-2017, 11:33   #520
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

Osborne told us there'd need to be an emergency budget if we voted to leave - not when we left. Clearly he wasn't suggesting there'd be a boom.

Quote:
George Osborne will warn that he would have to fill the £30bn black hole in public finances triggered by a vote to leave the European Union by hiking income tax, alcohol and petrol duties and making massive cuts to the NHS, schools and defence.

In a sign of the panic gripping the remain campaign, the chancellor plans to say that the hit to the economy will be so large that he will have little choice but to tear apart Conservative manifesto promises in an emergency budget delivered within weeks of an out vote.
Quote:
“Far from freeing up money to spend on public services as the leave campaign would like you to believe, quitting the EU would mean less money,” Osborne will say. “Billions less. It’s a lose-lose situation for British families and we shouldn’t risk it.”

The chancellor will spell out his concerns at an event where he will be joined by his predecessor, Alistair Darling. The Labour politician will say he is more worried now than he was during the 2008 financial crisis, arguing that a Brexit vote will result in not just one emergency budget but “one after another”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...es-to-leave-eu
Old 31-10-2017, 18:02   #521
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
No Stuart that is just not accurate. It was said by a few on the Remain side that if leave won, there would be a recession and job losses, right after the vote.

Quote:
“He [Mark Carney] warned that there would be a technical recession, but that is a recession … he said that, he was completely wrong, the Treasury was worse, it said there would be between 500,000 and 800,000 jobs lost purely on a vote to leave, not actually anything happening, just on the vote”

Jacob Rees-Mogg, 26 October 2017
https://fullfact.org/bbcqt/2017/Oct/27

What Mark Carney actually said was
Quote:
In May 2016, Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of England, said: “we would expect a “material slowing in growth, a notable rise in inflation, a challenging trade-off” in the case of a Brexit vote. He added, “of course there’s a range of possible scenarios around those directions, which could possibly include a technical recession”.
Mr Rees-Mogg was selective/misleading with his quotation...

"could possibly include" is completely different from "would be"
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 31-10-2017, 18:59   #522
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
https://fullfact.org/bbcqt/2017/Oct/27

What Mark Carney actually said was Mr Rees-Mogg was selective/misleading with his quotation...

"could possibly include" is completely different from "would be"
You're on fire at the moment with your fact-checking, Hugh! Keep up the good work!
Old 31-10-2017, 20:57   #523
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think it's simply that people who've got University educations are more likely to work in the service, white-collar, professions which have done well out of globalisation and the EU.

Those who left school, went right to work, and learnt their trade in something like manufacturing have been impacted negatively from globalisation. Manufacturing has declined, service sectors have increased. In some areas immigration is also perceived to have undercut the local workforce whereas this isn't the case for service workers
I agree that globalisation and its effects have impacted our manufacturing base negatively but will Brexit reverse globalisation for the UK? Considering the UK government vetoed EU anti dumping tariffs for chinese steel and has hired china and france to invest and build our new nuclear power stations, I would suggest that there is no interest in minimising the effects by the government.

If we went super protectionist with high import tariffs, that would help hold up UK manufacturing as home made goods would be cheaper but at the cost of exports as any high tariffs would most likely be reciprocal under any trade agreement.

On the immigration front, I was surprised to find the amount of wage suppression was quite small (0.6% for the lowest 5% of wage earners, most other groups do better - source - http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.a...f-immigration/) Considering this is the case, why is there a perception of much greater effects? Is it the media, politicians or something else?

As an aside, this whole discussion about Brexit has taught me a lot about economics, trade and politics, it's been fascinating!
Old 31-10-2017, 21:14   #524
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
As an aside, this whole discussion about Brexit has taught me a lot about economics, trade and politics, it's been fascinating!
Agreed.
Yet, still the Government feels that we shouldn't be told the facts and is witholding the impact studies on industries from us. I'd rather have these facts than exaggereated studies from Brextremists and lobbysits alike.

Key details of Brexit impact reports on 58 industries to stay secret

The Standard today made a great case as to why this information should be released to the public.
Quote:
One of the persistent myths about the Brexit talks is that they resemble a commercial negotiation. So the Government claims, like a company, that it must “play its cards close to its chest” and keep its “bottom line secret”.
This is the excuse it has used to withhold publication of the 58 impact studies the Civil Service has done on the consequence for different economic sectors of leaving the EU. But the EU negotiations are not commercial; they are political and they touch the lives of every business and community in the country.
When a business deal fails, the two firms walk away and never have to work together again. Britain and the EU are going to remain stuck in the room with each other whatever the outcome — the facts of geography mean our futures are inextricably bound together.
The Evening Standard predicts that the Government’s attempt to keep the assessments secret won’t hold because it is unworkable, unrealistic and undemocratic.
https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...-a3672481.html
Old 31-10-2017, 21:16   #525
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

While on the subject of actual facts, have we seen this - https://visual.ons.gov.uk/the-uk-con...the-eu-budget/

It certainly puts paid to the lie about £350m per week...

How are we all planning to spend our 39p per day?
Closed Thread