Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What type of aerial socket/connector is this?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What type of aerial socket/connector is this?

Old 16-09-2013, 12:24   #1
rdck
Inactive

rdck is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face What type of aerial socket/connector is this?

Hi folks,

I have just moved into a new property, and there's an aerial coming from outside the house to the inside. I have yet to check where it's coming from (at work right now) but I took a photo of the aerial socket/connector.

I am looking for a standard coaxial connector for my Freeview box, but this is something else.

1. Does anyone know what it is (it states VISION on the side)
2. Can I use this in any way as a standard coaxial aerial?

Many thanks,
R

rdck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2013, 12:26   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: What type of aerial socket/connector is this?

It's an f-type connector (a.k.a. "an f-plug"), the type used by cable TV and satellite TV. Highly unlikely to be connected to a terrestrial aerial. If it is coming straight through an external wall without any kind of box mounted on the inside or outside of the wall, then it most probably is or was connected to a satellite dish.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 13:21   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Depends entirely on what's connected to the other end!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 13:32   #4
rdck
Inactive

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Much appreciated.

At the other side of the livingroom window there is also these two (joined together) coming out. Look similar yeah? I guess there's perhaps no aerial installed and only satellite?

Thanks,
R

Old 16-09-2013, 13:43   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

That twin cable isn't used for cable TV installs, your house has, or has had, a satellite install at some point. Is there still a dish attached to the outside of the house? If there is, all three cables will almost certainly route back to it.
Old 16-09-2013, 19:24   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

You really need to find what is connected the other end. As the type of connector is no real guide. Many aerial contractors now prefer to use F-type connectors on anything that doesn't connect directly to a piece of reception equipment (splitters etc).
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 19:37   #7
rdck
Inactive

Hi all, many thanks for the help.
Okay, had a look today and it turns out it is connected to a large terrestrial aerial on top of the house. So I went out and bought a coax adapter, stripped it back and added the new end with the single copper wire. However, I'm not getting any signal from it. I tried tuning my freeview humax box and no channels found. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 19-09-2013, 21:13   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Possibly you did a poor job of replacing the aerial plug (make sure none of the braid is touching the solid copper core) or else the cable appears to connect to the terrestrial aerial, but doesn't. How closely have you been able to inspect it?

Which of the three cable ends you posted above have you chopped off and replaced with an aerial plug?
Old 19-09-2013, 22:34   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Have a close look at that "large" aerial. Is there a box attached to the mast, or close by it? If you are in a poor reception area, large aerials are usually accompanied by masthead amps. These are driven from a base unit down near the TV. It's possible the previous occupant has removed this unit & taken it with him, which may also explain why there is an F-connector on the tail where the TV should sit.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 19:14   #10
rdck
Inactive

Here's a photo of the aerial on top – I'll try and get a photo of the coax I connected this evening and update you guys.

I connected the coax end to the single cable that runs from the aerial on top of the house. The two cables from the other end run to a satellite dish so didn't bother with that. I managed to get in contact with the previous owner and they said when they moved in there was cables everywhere so they got a guy in and they didn't have any satellite –*only aerial to TV. Weird.

Again, cheers for the help and follow ups!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lyL6.jpg (80.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 20-09-2013, 19:25   #11
rdck
Inactive

And also, two images of the cable when I stripped it back and when I added the new coax.

Old 20-09-2013, 19:28   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I suspect nodrogd may be right, the presence of an f-plug on the end of that cable may suggest that there is a powered masthead amplifier up there, and if so, the f-plug (which you have now removed) would need to screw in to a power supply unit located in your living room. You would then connect the TV to the PSU's output.

Such a piece of kit might look like this:

Old 20-09-2013, 19:31   #13
rdck
Inactive

@nodrogd Good point. When we first got the keys, we did a bit of gutting out, and attached to the cable (with the f-connector) was a small little box that sat on the ground near where the TV would go. I believe this had a few outputs too (possibly connections for a coax aerial) so maybe this is what I need to get back? (I threw it out thinking it was a old signal booster)...

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

@Chris... funnily enough... that VISION text is exactly the same text that existed on the f-connector. I think we may have cracked something here...
Old 20-09-2013, 19:42   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdck View Post
@nodrogd Good point. When we first got the keys, we did a bit of gutting out, and attached to the cable (with the f-connector) was a small little box that sat on the ground near where the TV would go. I believe this had a few outputs too (possibly connections for a coax aerial) so maybe this is what I need to get back? (I threw it out thinking it was a old signal booster)...

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

@Chris... funnily enough... that VISION text is exactly the same text that existed on the f-connector. I think we may have cracked something here...
It was a signal booster, but it wasn't old. It was part of the complete aerial installation the previous occupant paid someone to put in for them.

If you'd shared that little nugget of information right at the outset ...

Now, to get your aerial working properly, you need to get back the amplifier power supply you threw out, and put back the f-plug you cut off. Then you need a length of aerial cable with an f-plug on one end, and a standard aerial connector on the other.
Old 20-09-2013, 19:44   #15
rdck
Inactive

I know... I feel like a tool. I guess a trip to Screwfix in the morning it is then.

I'm guessing something like this would do the job too? http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-sc...pply-12v/80459

I have a length of aerial cable here that has two male coax ends. I'll strip one end and add my f connector to it.