Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wii longevity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wii longevity

Old 27-03-2007, 00:03   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Wii longevity

I'm really tempted by the Wii.

So far, my wallet has been saved by no one in town ever having it in stock (apart from in bundles with games I don't want).

I've played on a friend's Wii, & was very impressed with it, bar one thing...

... the apparent lack of anything good apart from Wii Sports.

I did try Zelda, too, but really wasn't impressed. Seems to just be a port of the GameCube one, but with awkward controls. Didn't grab me & draw me in straight away like Ocarina did way back on the N64.

And as Mario & Metroid still haven't got release dates AFAIK, while Red Steel & Far Cry etc. are a bit crap from what I've heard, what else is there to play that's actually worthwhile?

Just Virtual Console games?

Is it really worth getting a Wii just for Wii Sports & the VC games?

Or does the novelty wear off quite quickly?

Does the Wii have any longevity at the moment?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2007, 00:09   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Wii longevity

I dont like any of the other games bar wii sports but im happy with what I paid and would pay it again just for the console and Wii sports if I knew what I know now. I would not have bought any other games and doubt ill buy any other games unless something for 2 players as good as sports come out
Old 27-03-2007, 00:23   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Cheers, Zingle
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 08:59   #4
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I played with the Wii (inc sports) all weekend a little while back and to be honest the nopvelty quickly wore off. I enjoyed bowling and tennis but to be honest you can play both games sitting on the sofa with a quick flick of the wrists, and I just found it all a bit boring. I won't be getting one for myself.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 09:28   #5
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

I'd much rather pay £179 for the WII than £425+ for a glorified dvd player that won't work properly with the TV I have at the moment.
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 09:39   #6
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1rcle View Post
I'd much rather pay £179 for the WII than £425+ for a glorified dvd player that won't work properly with the TV I have at the moment.
Nooooo, please lets not go down the PS3 vs all other consoles route.
Old 27-03-2007, 09:48   #7
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
I played with the Wii (inc sports) all weekend a little while back and to be honest the nopvelty quickly wore off. I enjoyed bowling and tennis but to be honest you can play both games sitting on the sofa with a quick flick of the wrists, and I just found it all a bit boring. I won't be getting one for myself.

bowling maybe but the tennis properly you got no chance mate there is a lot more to it. If you sit on the sofa playing then your not entering the spirit properly and you will not get the most out of it.
Im a dedicated pc gamer but Wii sports have taken a fair amount of my time off the pc but its socialble too and active and the kids love it
Old 27-03-2007, 09:53   #8
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
bowling maybe but the tennis properly you got no chance mate there is a lot more to it. If you sit on the sofa playing then your not entering the spirit properly and you will not get the most out of it.
Im a dedicated pc gamer but Wii sports have taken a fair amount of my time off the pc but its socialble too and active and the kids love it
I know what you're saying about by sitting on the sofa Im not getting into the spirit of things, but by the end of the evening i was playing bowling, baseball, golf and tennis(ur right this does work better standing up) on the sofa as i was bored prancing around in the front room.

I have to agree the kids do love it, and Im seriously contemplating buying one for that reason alone. My daughter is 2 and a half and as soon as there's a few games that she can play on it (hopefully something fun and educational), I will buy one for her.
Old 27-03-2007, 09:55   #9
zing_deleted

fair comment least it will keep them active instead of sat infront of a game has to be worth it for that alone also
Old 27-03-2007, 09:55   #10
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Wii Sports is great, but I'd say that Rayman is worth buying too. Check out the reviews at IGN, it's got good feedback.

Personally, I love Zelda... although I see your point about it being a GC port, because that's exactly what they did to it - although they re-mapped the entire environment to make Link right-handed so that it'd be easier to play with the Wiimote.

Next on my list of games to get is Tiger Woods, as I love playing Wii Sports Golf, which will be followed by SSX Blur.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 10:21   #11
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

I'd like to see how tiger woods golf plays on the Wii. Would be nice to be able to play with a proper golf club, maybe i could stick a controller to the head of a nine iron (assuming I have a wii by then)
Old 27-03-2007, 10:46   #12
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Red Steel is total crap, and TBH put me off the Wii. I'll never say never, i'll think long and hard about it in future.

Wii sports is fun, but in the limited-ish time I played it (over a few days) my interest in it already started to wane, so that wouldn't last forever.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 11:08   #13
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan

I bought my Wii on launch day. Since then, I've owned:

- WiiSports
- WiiPlay
- Zelda Twilight Princess
- Red Steel
- Rayman
- Sonic

Of those 6 titles, I now only have the first three. The last three in the list I bought, and quickly took back or exchanged for 360 games.

The Wii is having a bit of a drought, and its been going on since release day really. New games that have come out are either rubbish, or more mini game madness.

At this present moment in time, there is nothing really enticing for the single player. The Wii is all about multiplayer gaming at the moment.

I bought an Xbox 360 in February and since then, my Wii hasn't really seen the light of day. Only time I really use my Wii is when I have friends over, for a bit of WiiSports, otherwise my 360 is getting a hammering.

Purchasing the PS3 in May so there will be even more distraction.

Some good games need to come out on the Wii real soon, because at the moment, its just not geting the usage it should be.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 12:18   #14
Gareth
cf.mega poster

People over at OCUK have been talking about Godfather and saying it is great, so might think about getting that... although my son would be miffed as it's his console but he's too young to play it
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 12:31   #15
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan

From what I've seen, read and heard, Godfather for Wii is great IF you haven't played the game before. Because its essentially the same game but with Wii controls.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote