Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Malden (Again!)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New Malden (Again!)

Old 21-10-2020, 19:47   #1
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
New Malden (Again!)

As some of you are aware I've been noticing different issues on and off since the great cable break of last year.

Last week it was Cloudflare timing out, and this morning I've had another issue that has occurred a few times before.

I woke up at 4am to find that the net was inaccessible, I logged into the modem and everything seemed ok, connected to the WAN, GRE tunnel was up and I could ping to the first device outside my network, after which I had 100% packet loss.

Everything looked like it should be working. Checked twitter and sure enough there had been an outage at 1:30 that people were reporting, although that seemed to have been cleared - but I still had no net.

So, I went through the modem gui and rebooted it, after a couple of minutes the network came back up and was fine.

As I said, this is something I've seen a few times recently, something seems unstable somewhere, the fact that the router thought everything was OK but I had no internet is a bit annoying because if I was out and needed access to the network I would have no way of bringing the thing back up without physically being there.

It seems a "recent" problem (yes, I know vague) but the fact it keeps happening and that I don't recall it happening before recent times makes me wonder what is going on.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2020, 16:51   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: New Malden (Again!)

I am also on the New Malden node with a VM Business/static IP address service. I did experience full packet loss this week overnight, which was fixed by a reboot of the Hitron
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 20:07   #3
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

Got an email from them about planned work.

This planned work is required to complete Layer 3 optical swapout work at New Malden.

Any ideas on what this is relating to?
Old 29-10-2020, 21:10   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Interestingly also fed from new Malden and didn't get that - so maybe affecting only some areas fed from new Malden. I do however have a notice of planned work for 6th November which states "This planned work is required to complete the CBR8 code upgrade in multiple sites."
Old 29-10-2020, 21:48   #5
fizzyade
cf.addict

Planned Work Ref C01156286
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 13/11/2020 09:00
Planned Work End (Local UK): 13/11/2020 21:00

Impact: There will be a loss of service at some point during the timeframe stated above whilst we complete the maintenance work.

The service outage should only last for up to 2 hour; however a 12 hour timeframe has been given in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

This planned work is required to complete Layer 3 optical swapout work at New Malden.
Old 29-10-2020, 23:40   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyade View Post
Any ideas on what this is relating to?
It's a capacity upgrade. Some customers are being moved to a new CMTS to spread the load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Interestingly also fed from new Malden and didn't get that - so maybe affecting only some areas fed from new Malden.
Yes, it's very localised. Just one CMTS card is affected.

Quote:
I do however have a notice of planned work for 6th November which states "This planned work is required to complete the CBR8 code upgrade in multiple sites."
You are on different CMTSs. Fizzyade's is getting that upgrade tonight.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 00:10   #7
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's a capacity upgrade. Some customers are being moved to a new CMTS to spread the load.
Things have not been great since the great cable rip up of last year, I've had periods of terrible service since then (before it was fine), although whether that's purely a placebo effect I don't know. I wonder if a load of customers all got shifted around and lumped together causing me capacity issues that I didn't appear to have before.

Quote:
I guess this is for the docsis 3.1 upgrade going forward?

I wonder when 1G is going to be available on VOOM?
Old 30-10-2020, 00:11   #8
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Interesting - thank you. is this related to DOCSIS3.1 in any way?
Old 30-10-2020, 10:03   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Interesting - thank you. is this related to DOCSIS3.1 in any way?
Sorry, I don't have any info on what that update does.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 15:43   #10
fizzyade
cf.addict

Whatever they did the other day has brought my connection back up to where it was previously before the cable got pulled out of the ground.
Old 04-11-2020, 22:03   #11
fizzyade
cf.addict

And again, same thing happened an hour or so back.

WAN IP
GRE Tunnel UP

No access to the internet.

Reboot modem, everything comes up again.

This is getting a bit annoying now.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:50   #12
fizzyade
cf.addict

And again. GRE tunnel was down, rebooted the Hitron and it came back up.
Old 08-12-2020, 22:29   #13
ccarmock
cf.geek

Also fed from New Malden. No issues last night

Had a loss of sync the night before but everything came back up, including GRE tunnel with no intervention:-

12/07/20 05:53:47 84000500 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync
Old 09-12-2020, 21:29   #14
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Also fed from New Malden. No issues last night

Had a loss of sync the night before but everything came back up, including GRE tunnel with no intervention:-

12/07/20 05:53:47 84000500 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync
Mine went about 3am, I rebooted about 5 after realising it was the same old problem.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:47   #15
fizzyade
cf.addict

It happened again last night, around midnight.

GRE tunnel dropped a few times, then eventually came back up with no internet access. Rebooting the hitron solved the issue.