Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wii longevity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wii longevity

Old 30-03-2007, 11:48   #31
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan
Re: Wii longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Different kettle of fish, though, mate.

At Xmas, we took our Wii over to my sister's place where we were all celebrating, eating, drinking, etc... She had a 360 that she'd just bought but nobody was interested in that - everyone wanted to play the Wii instead. It's a much more sociable console than the 360.

Admittedly, the 360 has vastly better graphics, a much better catalogue of games, XBox Live, etc... but when it comes down to it, these are only more important when you're playing alone. It's no fun for other people to sit and watch someone play Gears of War, but if you've got people over, then watching them do the boxing or play tennis in Wii Sports, or do cow tossing in Rayman, etc... is a much better experience, imo.

In an ideal world, the 360 (or PS3) and a Wii is a perfect combination as you cover both bases
Oh I don't disagree mate. Only time my Wii gets used lately is when I have mates over. But other then that, it just sits there gathering dust.

For single player experience, 360 definitely gets my vote.

For 'online' multi player experience, 360 still gets my vote.

But for 'offline' multi player experience, then its the Wii all the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
@ logan -

Already have a 360, & wouldn't be without it* , but want something more, & the Wii seems to offer that "something different" to your normal 360/PS3. I was disappointed by the Cube, but I've always liked Nintendo.

*[Well, apart from at the moment, while MS are "fixing" it ]
Good man Get yourself a Wii soon as then, because Wii60 owners have all the fun!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2007, 23:52   #32
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

IN STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!

(well, briefly, earlier)

I've had www.wiipreorder.co.uk/Wii-Stock-Alerts.aspx & www.wii-consoles.co.uk/wii_console_realtime.asp both up throughout the day.

Just before 10pm, both suddenly updated with "IN STOCK NOW AT AMAZON!".

Shot over to Amazon (forgetting to go via Nectar.com for the points, oops), & quickly ordered one.

Standard Wii + Wii Sports pack, rather than some stupid unnecessary & expensive Game/Gamestation style bundle full of crap games I don't want.

First class postage, to my work address. With luck, it'll arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Now need to get hold of the Component cable, & another Wiimote.

Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 00:25   #33
skyblueheroes
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & Pipex 8mb ADSL
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to skyblueheroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
IN STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!

(well, briefly, earlier)

I've had www.wiipreorder.co.uk/Wii-Stock-Alerts.aspx & www.wii-consoles.co.uk/wii_console_realtime.asp both up throughout the day.

Just before 10pm, both suddenly updated with "IN STOCK NOW AT AMAZON!".

Shot over to Amazon (forgetting to go via Nectar.com for the points, oops), & quickly ordered one.

Standard Wii + Wii Sports pack, rather than some stupid unnecessary & expensive Game/Gamestation style bundle full of crap games I don't want.

First class postage, to my work address. With luck, it'll arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Now need to get hold of the Component cable, & another Wiimote.

Yay. Well done dude.
skyblueheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 01:01   #34
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Yep.

A Wii around the start of the week, while hopefully my 360 will be fixed & returned next week too (an MS auto email today claimed it had been shipped back...), so next week should be "Wii60" week
Old 31-03-2007, 11:40   #35
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan

Nice one dude

Heatseeker hit the shelves yesterday too, so double whammy (if you like combat fighter games). Can't wait to give Heatseeker ago with the controls.

Get yourself a decent set of component cables though. Official if you can, otherwise I can reccomend the Blaze ones which I bought from Virigin Megastore. Come with a price tag though, £19.99. Steer clear of Mad Catz, heard some bad reviews of them ones.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 15:46   #36
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Heh, did anyone else see that Lego Batman is coming to the Wii...?

Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:03   #37
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

@ Logan -

Yeah, Heatseeker doesn't look too bad.

Couldn't find any official component cables in stock, so got 3rd party. Can't remember the brand, but wasn't Mad Catz. Seem pretty decent, so far. Certainly better than the godawful composite cable.

@ Gareth -

Lego Batman? Cool

Star Wars Lego was great.

------------------------

So, my Wii came on Monday 2nd April. [same day my 360 was returned by MS ]

Sent by Amazon by "Standard 1st Class Delivery" (which turned out to actually be Parcelforce 24) - pretty good, seeing as it was ordered the night of Friday 30th March.

I ordered various accessories (component cable, a 2nd Wiimote, a classic controller, SD card, Wii points card) separately to the console [didn't want to waste valuable time adding them to the basket when I ordered the Wii itself, or it may have been sold out by the time I got to the checkout]. Had them sent by "Express Delivery - next business day", to make sure I didn't end up getting them later than I got the Wii itself. But, of course, that actually made it take longer, as they didn't get shipped (via RM Special Delivery) 'till Monday & so arrived on Tuesday.

Had a play on Wii Sports - great fun!

Love the tennis, & the bowling is good fun. Haven't tried the golf or boxing yet. Have tried the baseball - thought it was pretty crap (well, it is baseball!).

Have since bought & downloaded Super Mario Bros (NES), Super Mario World (SNES), Mario 64 (N64), Mario Kart 64 (N64), & Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (N64) for the Virtual Console via the Wii Shopping Channel. Considering getting Donkey Kong Country & Super Probotector, & maybe also Sonic.

Ally has actually played on it!

And enjoyed it!

And wants to play on it again!

"Show me the Wii!", "Let's play tennis!", "Ooh, bowling!", etc. Never had anything like that with the 360, lol.

I've now added Zelda: Twilight Princess to my small collection of Wii games, thanks to Gareth's heads up about Argos selling it for half price.

The next Wii game I'm considering is SSX Blur (had a very good review in gamesTM), & perhaps also Excite Truck, & maybe The Godfather.

And then a long wait for Super Paper Mario (already out in US/Japan, usual long NOE delay for us.........), Mario Galaxy, & Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Mario Strikers looks pretty good...

The Virtual Console is great. I wish Microsoft gave the XBL Arcade as many regular releases as the VC gets. Although it's a pity there's no demo feature.

The News, Forecast, & Everybody Votes channels are interesting, yet ultimately pointless, for me at least. I haven't tried the "Internet Channel" yet, but, well, I've got a PC, so why bother.

I think I'll hunt down some old GameCube games too, & a Cube controller (preferably a Wavebird). Be nice to play Mario Sunshine again, & maybe Mario Kart Double Dash (not the best of the series, but still fun). Resident Evil 4 would also be good, although there is actually a Wii-specific version on the way so I may wait for that.

Anyway, overall, I give the Wii a big
Old 09-04-2007, 01:24   #38
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Nice one, Matt

If your missus is anything like mine, grab a copy of Donkey Konga and 2 sets of bongos - she'll love it.

ps - here's a list of European Q2 releases. No sign of Super Paper Mario though However, Mario Strikers is released on May 25th and will be online, so definitely gonna grab this.

pps - talking of Super Paper Mario, have you seen the 30 minute video of it? http://wii.advancedmn.com/media.php?...1564&medtype=2
Old 10-04-2007, 22:21   #39
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I got up yesterday to find Ally playing Mario Kart 64 on the VC, lol. Then she played tennis & bowling for a while.

Great video for Super Paper Mario!

Why the wait though

Why oh why does Nintendo still hate Europe

Over 20 years, & we're still treated like crap.

At least Strikers is out soon.

Some deals:

Excite Truck, £24.99 at Gamestation -

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/product...01279128574277

SSX Blur, £29.98 at Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-A...6238271&sr=8-1
Old 15-04-2007, 20:00   #40
johnojohn
Inactive

johnojohn is an unknown quantity at this point

dont be tempted by a Wii, at the min it sounds moderatly ok, but after 6months u will probly sell the obsolete piece of crap, motion sensors aint new, the ds has it and its hardly used, the DS is more revolutionary then the Wii, the games are pretty rubbish too, apart from zelda, get ur self a Ps3, with a new laptop HDD (any sata laptop hdd will work in the ps3) and install linux fedora core 5, u cant go wrong.
johnojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 20:52   #41
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Already got a Wii, & think it's great.

PS3? No thanks, not until a) it's not so obscenely expensive, & b) it actually has more than one decent exclusive game worth playing (Motorstorm). Not wasting money on a PS3, just to play games I've been playing on my 360 since last year. I know people on other forums who've already got bored with their shiny new PS3s, now the initial "new toy" novelty has worn off. Anyway, that's for the PlayStation 3 thread, not here.
Old 15-04-2007, 21:01   #42
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnojohn View Post
dont be tempted by a Wii, at the min it sounds moderatly ok, but after 6months u will probly sell the obsolete piece of crap, motion sensors aint new, the ds has it and its hardly used, the DS is more revolutionary then the Wii, the games are pretty rubbish too, apart from zelda, get ur self a Ps3, with a new laptop HDD (any sata laptop hdd will work in the ps3) and install linux fedora core 5, u cant go wrong.
The DS doesnt have motion sensors. Also the way it is used is new and it works well in games like Zelda and SSX once you get used to the controls. Anyway, In 6 months the console will start receiving the good games which will help it more. Also Obsolete is hardly a fair statement. Its outselling the PS3 and the 360.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 23:30   #43
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Obsolete...? Bwahahaha, yeah right

I saw earlier that Nintendo has now sold 2 million Wiis in Japan alone - not a bad figure considering the console has only been available for 19 weeks. In fact, the only console to have bettered this figure is the PS2 which sold 2M units in 15 weeks (and we all know that the PS2 isn't obsolete - even today).

I'm enjoying Zelda, Wii Sports (still!), Rayman and Excite Truck... next on my list to get is SSX Blur, Tiger Woods, Godfather, Prince of Persia and Super Paper Mario, and still to be released are Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, etc...

Hardly what I'd consider obsolete.