Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart meter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Smart meter

Old 19-01-2021, 18:35   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Smart meter

Any one really know how these work contacted my supplier to to ask why my bill said it was estimated .told that it doesn't send readings and I need to read the meters myself . However the meters don't show any reading , it's completely blank! Not impressed
Old 19-01-2021, 19:31   #2
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads
Re: Smart meter

The display unit has to be within a given distance from the smart meter.
Moving out of range (on ours @4metre range) display blanks.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 19:33   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Or, there are buttons you press on the Smart Meter to show the readings
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 19:51   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

There's A and B buttons on the front of the unit. These scroll through various menus that are poorly documented. You're looking for "Total import KWhr"

Ignore anything that says "reactive" or "KVA"

I have the same problem that the so called smart meter cannot be remotely read.
Old 19-01-2021, 19:53   #5
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
The display unit has to be within a given distance from the smart meter.
Moving out of range (on ours @4metre range) display blanks.
It's displays usage etc . Cost per day. However I can't see how to get a reading
Old 19-01-2021, 20:02   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Remote display unit is a complete POS. Ours never kept the same reading for more than 1/2 an hour before displaying something totally unrelated or resetting.

Dumped in the cupboard where the meter is a couple of years ago.

If it was mine I would have used my 2lb lump hammer to reduce it to the smallest indivisible parts. Then microwaved them to ensure it will never work again.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:25   #7
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
It's displays usage etc . Cost per day. However I can't see how to get a reading
That device is only a display which is 'supposed' to make it easier to understand how much you're using. It most likely won't show the actual meter reading (some do). The readings that you're billed to will be on the meter itself - which will most likely be installed where your old meters were. There should be a display on there that shows various readings. You may need to press a button to get the reading. On the electric, as has already been mentioned, you're looking for Total Import kwh (or if you're on Economy 7 heating or something similar, R1 and R2).

The gas meter will likely be blank until you press a button to wake it up.

If your supplier can't get a reading remotely, it could be because you've changed supplier since the meter was installed. The first generation of meters could only talk to the supplier that installed it. Those meters should be getting a firmware upgrade this year that will allow any supplier to talk to it. Hang on in there and they should start working again.

If your current supplier is the one that installed it, they should be able to talk to it.

If it was installed in the last 12 months or so, it should be 2nd generation meter and any supplier should be able to talk to it.
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 18:32   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali View Post
If your current supplier is the one that installed it, they should be able to talk to it.

If it was installed in the last 12 months or so, it should be 2nd generation meter and any supplier should be able to talk to it.
They've never been able to read it since it was installed. I think it's a dud.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:38   #9
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

In that case, I believe that they should be able to fix it.

You could tell them you're not able to read it. Do they know your age? You could ask to be put on the 'vulnerable' register. I'm not sure if there's a minimum age, but they should offer a service where they read your meter. Or try telling them it's their responsibility to either fix the meter or read it.

That's all I can offer I'm afraid.
Old 20-01-2021, 19:59   #10
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali View Post
That device is only a display which is 'supposed' to make it easier to understand how much you're using. It most likely won't show the actual meter reading (some do). The readings that you're billed to will be on the meter itself - which will most likely be installed where your old meters were. There should be a display on there that shows various readings. You may need to press a button to get the reading. On the electric, as has already been mentioned, you're looking for Total Import kwh (or if you're on Economy 7 heating or something similar, R1 and R2).

The gas meter will likely be blank until you press a button to wake it up.

If your supplier can't get a reading remotely, it could be because you've changed supplier since the meter was installed. The first generation of meters could only talk to the supplier that installed it. Those meters should be getting a firmware upgrade this year that will allow any supplier to talk to it. Hang on in there and they should start working again.

1) it's the same supplier that fitted it. 2) it is showing that since 1st Jan I have just used 4p on gas ! Central heating and cooking ,hot water all gas. Both meters are blank and definitely no screen showing total used in quarter on it .Think could be that it was set to send reading once a month ,changed to half hour will see !
Old 26-01-2021, 14:54   #11
Tali
cf.addict

Quote:
Think could be that it was set to send reading once a month ,changed to half hour will see !
It's likely that the meter will still only be read once per month. The meter will store the half hourly data until the download is requested by your supplier.

You could try turning the display off and on again to see if it reconnects to your meters. That might resolve the 4p issue and show a more up to date value.

But, I would suggest contacting your supplier and telling them that you think the meters are faulty because of the blank display. If the display is blank, how can you read it? If you can't read it, how can you get accurate bills?

Good luck.
Old 27-01-2021, 13:31   #12
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I hate our smart meter. Since installed our electricity bills are 70% higher. It's been replaced once (10% high reading to monitored). The techie checking meter blames our solar PV inverter saying it's drawing lots of current. A solar PV company we called (installer of ours when out of business) says that's nonsense as inverter will use DC from panels. Our system is still working well (over 100% according to BG) but something is odd.
We have daily readings since 2012 so can see the jump from when smart meter installed. I think I need to get Which? involved as trying myself is going in circles.

(Of course it's possible the previous meter was reading low or supply up to inverter didn't go via meter so if it is drawing wouldn't get monitored but even then it shouldn't draw that much surely.)
Old 27-01-2021, 17:58   #13
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The inverter takes DC from the panels and then adds it to the house supply as needed. It should never draw any mains AC power.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 11:37   #14
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The inverter takes DC from the panels and then adds it to the house supply as needed. It should never draw any mains AC power.
That's what the solar guys said. So letter to Which?, we pay for it and the legal stuff too.
Old 29-01-2021, 10:44   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Terms and conditions for my supplier (Orbit Energy) have changed.

Quote:
If we need to replace your meter, we will replace it with a smart meter unless it is an emergency and a smart meter cannot be installed
Quote:
If you lose or damage your Smart Meter In-Home Display, we can replace it, but you will be responsible for paying for a replacement device.
Quote:
If you repeatedly refuse to allow us to install a Smart Meter, you may not be eligible for our full range of products and services
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote