Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Password managers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Password managers
Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2021, 12:01   #31
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Password managers

2FA doesn't always mean password plus device.

Essentially think of security as
something you know (password)
something you have (hardware)
something you are (e.g. fingerprint)

2FA means you need 2 of one of those to authenticate. So you could have a hardware dongle that unlocks with your finger print connected to you PC and that could provide 2FA. But normally it is password plus some other factor.

My issue is more what that other things is. I don't have a mobile phone of my own and don't always have my work one with me. So text message does me no good. I have used Google Authenticator and that's OK if my tablet is with me. You can't seem to set up the same "Authenticator" on multiple devices.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:03   #32
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You should be a salesman.

You can post long arguments all day if you want, but you wont change my opinion.

Its an unnecessary pain I dont need, and a waste of my time, having to dig out a bloody phone everytime I wont to login to something (and just to rub it in, get timed out after a few minutes).

You are obviously one of those who thinks everyone lives their life tied to a smart phone.

I dont (nor do I even have one).

Im not going to waste any more time on it, you think its great, I dont.

This topic is about Password Managers, so back to the subject.
My biggest concern was that you may not have understood what 2FA offers, how it works or why it is important. Your comment about smartphones has goes quite a way in reinforcing that for you. You do not need a smartphone at all for 2FA. You can install 2FA authentication applications on any computer. Obviously, installing it on the same computer you user your auto-fill password manager on is not advisable, but it certainly is possible and workable to do so. Just don't let your machine get stolen. Perhaps build a 20ft wall around your home or something.

Last edited by idi banashapan; 25-01-2021 at 12:11.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:12   #33
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
My biggest concern was that you may not have understood what 2FA offers, how it works or why it is important. Your comment about smartphones has goes quite a way in reinforcing that for you. You do not need a smartphone at all for 2FA. You can install 2FA authentication applications on any computer. Obviously, installing it on the same computer you user your auto-fill password manager on is not advisable, but it certainly is possible and workable to do so. Just don't let your machine get stolen. Perhaps build a 20ft wall around your home or something.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 25-01-2021, 12:31   #34
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
My issue is more what that other things is. I don't have a mobile phone of my own and don't always have my work one with me. So text message does me no good.
IIRC these days if a text is sent to a standard phone it is intercepted, the system calls that line and "reads" the text to you.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:38   #35
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

2FA can be a pain in the rear to.

When it asks u for example to choose all pics that has a bus in them it doesnt always work especially if ur using a VPN it all goes to pot.
Old 25-01-2021, 13:50   #36
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
2FA can be a pain in the rear to.

When it asks u for example to choose all pics that has a bus in them it doesnt always work especially if ur using a VPN it all goes to pot.
That isn't 2fa i don't think.
Old 25-01-2021, 14:02   #37
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

i always thought it was a sort of 2FA.
Old 25-01-2021, 20:49   #38
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
You can install 2FA authentication applications on any computer. Obviously, installing it on the same computer you user your auto-fill password manager on is not advisable, but it certainly is possible and workable to do so. Just don't let your machine get stolen. Perhaps build a 20ft wall around your home or something.
Being a smartass doesnt make your point any better.

I look forward to hearing how my bank will send their SMS codes to my PC.

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
i always thought it was a sort of 2FA.
Not really.

However, the memorable word I need for most banks is already a kind of 2FA, knowing the password alone would not get you far.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 25-01-2021, 22:09   #39
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Being a smartass doesnt make your point any better.
it does make people giggle though I mean, you can't blame me - you practically fed me the opportunity! lol. It would have been ruder to let it pass me by.

Last edited by Paul; 25-01-2021 at 23:06. Reason: More smart ass comments removed. Dont bother responding again if you cant be less ignorant.
Old 25-01-2021, 22:11   #40
alanbjames
R.I.P.

If your bank is the same as mine which is Lloyds u need a username, password and then choose 3 characters from a memorable word so the longer the word the better the security mine is 12 Characters long.
Closed Thread