Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 03-08-2020, 11:48   #3031
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Laughable response. Name a single policy any other party in Scotland have proposed in the last decade? I bet you don’t run out of fingers on one hand when it comes to counting them up.

No vision, no positive vision, no clue. Which is why the SNP could be bang average and still win an election in a Scotland. All that’s propping unionism up is the Orange vote and that won’t last.

Do you live in Scotland? If not what the **** would you know? Without Westminster handing out billions due to the covid crisis where would sturgeon and her cohorts have got the funds from to help people when furloughed? I wish they had a policy on, say, education, for instance, its a mess, so give me some clues on where we are with that on policies as you seem to think you know it all, As for your comment on the orange vote, are you serious or on drugs, wtf has that got to do with the vote, laughable and typical response from Mr Knowall...
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2020, 11:53   #3032
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Do you live in Scotland? If not what the **** would you know? Without Westminster handing out billions due to the covid crisis where would sturgeon and her cohorts have got the funds from to help people when furloughed? I wish they had a policy on, say, education, for instance, its a mess, so give me some clues on where we are with that on policies as you seem to think you know it all, As for your comment on the orange vote, are you serious or on drugs, wtf has that got to do with the vote, laughable and typical response from Mr Knowall...
No need to resort to swearing, it drags the debate into the gutter.

Orange voters are more likely to vote for a Unionist Party. Surely as someone with his finger on the pulse of Scottish politics you’d find that observably true and it simply weakens what little other arguments you have to vociferously contest it.

Where I am permanently resident is of no relevance. We don’t restrict discussions on this forum by geography as far as I am aware.

I too wish that the Unionist parties had policies on education in Scotland, on social security, on reviving the rural economy, reviving the high street and dealing with the day to day issues people in Scotland face.

Have you run out of fingers counting those policies yet?

Last edited by jfman; 03-08-2020 at 12:02.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:06   #3033
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
No need to resort to swearing, it drags the debate into the gutter.

Orange voters are more likely to vote for a Unionist Party. Surely as someone with his finger on the pulse of Scottish politics you’d find that observably true and it simply weakens what little other arguments you have.

Where I am permanently resident is of no relevance. We don’t restrict discussions on this forum by geography as far as I am aware.

I too wish that the Unionist parties had policies on education in Scotland, on social security, on reviving the rural economy, reviving the high street and dealing with the day to day issues people in Scotland face.

Have you run out of fingers counting those policies yet?
Policies come from being in Govt, you can't tell me that the other parties do not have any policies designed to meet the necessary requirements to run a country?
13 years in, the performance of schools and the management of hospital projects are, in particular, giving cause for concern, so there's two failures straight away in their so called policies for a better Scotland, as for your continued comments about the "orange" vote, where are you coming from with that comment? Are you trying to bring religion into this? I'm pretty sure all of the Scottish voters who voted No in the last referendum were not "orange" lol....
Old 03-08-2020, 12:10   #3034
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Laughable response. Name a single policy any other party in Scotland have proposed in the last decade? I bet you don’t run out of fingers on one hand when it comes to counting them up.

No vision, no positive vision, no clue. Which is why the SNP could be bang average and still win an election in a Scotland. All that’s propping unionism up is the Orange vote and that won’t last. The opposition should learn from the late Dr. Paisley that shouting “No! No! No!” is not a long term viable strategy.
Er ... It was the highly revered Maggie that said ‘No! No! No!

The unjustly criticised Paisley shouted ‘Never! Never! Never!’

As for the Scots, as I’ve said before if they are hell bent on losing our subsidy and eventually coming under EU sovereignty, then sod ‘em.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:13   #3035
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Er ... It was the highly revered Maggie that said ‘No! No! No!

The unjustly criticised Paisley shouted ‘Never! Never! Never!’

As for the Scots, as I’ve said before if they are hell bent on losing our subsidy and eventually coming under EU sovereignty, then sod ‘em.

Spot on mate, and they never politicise the covid crisis either, yeah right.

The SNP is facing accusations of hypocrisy and poor taste for selling face masks in support of the party and independence in the week Nicola Sturgeon accused Boris Johnson of politicising the pandemic.

Last week the first minster castigated Johnson when he said the UK government’s response to the Covid crisis underlined the economic benefits of Scotland remaining in the Union.

Sturgeon said: “I don’t think any of us should be trying to use Covid and the pandemic and the crisis situation we continue to face as some kind of political campaigning tool.”

It emerged yesterday that her party is fundraising with SNP-branded face coverings, costing £8 to £14. The range includes a mask with a “Yes” logo, signifying support for independence..
Old 03-08-2020, 12:16   #3036
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Policies come from being in Govt, you can't tell me that the other parties do not have any policies designed to meet the necessary requirements to run a country?
I’m sincerely unaware of any policy put forward by the other parties in Scotland. All they trot out is “get on with the day job” yet, in their day jobs, offer no alternative vision.

Quote:
13 years in, the performance of schools and the management of hospital projects are, in particular, giving cause for concern, so there's two failures straight away in their so called policies for a better Scotland, as for your continued comments about the "orange" vote, where are you coming from with that comment? Are you trying to bring religion into this? I'm pretty sure all of the Scottish voters who voted No in the last referendum were not "orange" lol....
I’m not trying to bring religion into it, however it’s important to consider demographic trends when considering the direction of travel.

Scottish Labour and the Scottish Conservatives fighting over the same voter base by waving their Union Flags the hardest is fundamentally no different from two bald men fighting over a comb.

You’ve claimed two sets of failures yet none of the opposition parties are able to lay a glove on the SNP on the basis of either of them. They’ve no proposals to fix these claimed issues. There’s just the same old tired rhetoric that has lost the last 3 Holyrood elections and will likely lose the next one.

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Quote:
Spot on mate, and they never politicise the covid crisis either, yeah right.

The SNP is facing accusations of hypocrisy and poor taste for selling face masks in support of the party and independence in the week Nicola Sturgeon accused Boris Johnson of politicising the pandemic.

Last week the first minster castigated Johnson when he said the UK government’s response to the Covid crisis underlined the economic benefits of Scotland remaining in the Union.

Sturgeon said: “I don’t think any of us should be trying to use Covid and the pandemic and the crisis situation we continue to face as some kind of political campaigning tool.”

It emerged yesterday that her party is fundraising with SNP-branded face coverings, costing £8 to £14. The range includes a mask with a “Yes” logo, signifying support for independence..
Political party sells tat for fundraising. It’s not new, or unique to the SNP. If that’s the worst you have on them then I look forward to them steamrollering through next year.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:24   #3037
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Well if Scotland is going to leave the UK it's not going to happen under the SNP,maybe it's time for other nationalist parties to have a go as nothing has moved since the SNP came to power.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:27   #3038
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Well if Scotland is going to leave the UK it's not going to happen under the SNP,maybe it's time for other nationalist parties to have a go as nothing has moved since the SNP came to power.
I wouldn’t wish to tell the roughly 50% of Scots who support independence how to vote, although I know who they won’t vote for next year if they don’t have any kind of positive vision or any better ideas that putting Ruth Davidson in a Union Flag draped tank.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:33   #3039
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I wouldn’t wish to tell the roughly 50% of Scots who support independence how to vote, although I know who they won’t vote for next year if they don’t have any kind of positive vision or any better ideas that putting Ruth Davidson in a Union Flag draped tank.
Lol, a serious question to you, do you want Scotland to be an independent country, and if so, why?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:39   #3040
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Lol, a serious question to you, do you want Scotland to be an independent country, and if so, why?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35301298

I don’t know why you chose to bold the section of that sentence you did, it happened.

My opinion is unimportant - I’m “Mr Knowall”. You put it best yourself a mere few posts ago:

Quote:
Do you live in Scotland? If not what the **** would you know
I’ve made points about the lack of a compelling offer from the Unionist parties, which you’ve been unable to contest and for that reason my response to the thread title as given is “yes” Scotland will leave the UK. Whether I want it to or not isn’t the question posed.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:43   #3041
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Here's how well the snp are doing with these policies.

Two-thirds of the Scottish population live in Health Board areas which are in special measures, targets in our NHS are routinely missed or dodged, there is a crisis in homelessness, and a care sector on the brink of collapse. School attainment is falling, working-class school-leavers in Scotland are less likely to go to university than anywhere else in the UK, and the FE sector has been decimated losing 160,000 places in recent years.

The SNP have presided over all of this, with the First Minister being the longest-serving Health Secretary in Scottish history until she took the helm – and asked to be judged by her record on education.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:47   #3042
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Yet those Health Boards routinely outperform those in England?

I don’t think anyone gives any credibility or meaning to the numbers going into further education. Teflon Tony’s 50% target was always just a means of getting numbers off the dole. We don’t need more social sciences or media studies students racking up tens of thousands of debt that will never be paid back.

Where are the opposition proposals?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:52   #3043
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

They also imposed higher taxes on the Scottish working people, so i'm still wondering why you are so keen on this party?

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Quote:

I don’t think anyone gives any credibility or meaning to the numbers going into further education. Teflon Tony’s 50% target was always just a means of getting numbers off the dole. We don’t need more social sciences or media studies students racking up tens of thousands of debt that will never be paid back.

Do they?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:55   #3044
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Yes.

Higher tax (which actually most people don’t pay) isn’t a bad thing if the state is providing better value (or perceived better value) to citizens. Free personal care for the elderly, no tuition fees, etc.

I’m wondering why they get you so angry if they’re so incompetent surely they will lose in 2021?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:56   #3045
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:

I would assume those would come to light if they were voted into power, you cannot tell me that a party voted into governing a country has no proposals? Labour used to be the strongest party in Scotland and somehow lost its way, the Tories were never getting into power neither were the Liberals, I just do not see the benefit of an independent Scotland, imo we are far better off being part of the UK, only my opinion of course and that of many others in Scotand.