Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Whatever Happened to Virgin IPTV?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Whatever Happened to Virgin IPTV?

Old 29-05-2018, 23:26   #1
iSteve
Inactive

Services: Freeview + TUTV, BT Broadband 1MB
iSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud of
Whatever Happened to Virgin IPTV?

Gosh, has it really been 11 years since I popped by and posted here? Has the forum really been going that long? Last time I posted I believe the forum was still called nthellworld, and I was working for them (NTL).

Anyhoo. Hey All!

One of the gizmos I still remember most fondly using is the TiVo PVR v1 (Thomson). I acquired one whilst working for NTL, and I remember a lot of fans of the technology worked in the technical divisions of NTL. I was pleased to see that NTL's successor did what Sky failed to do, and breathed new life into this cool technology, by embracing it for use in their network in a way Sky never truly did, despite partnering with TiVo for UK exclusive rights (shame on them!)

However, less pleasant is the fact this means that I -- now living in an offnet area -- cannot ever again experience the joys of using TiVo to help me manage my TV viewing habits.

But what's this I see... articles about Virgin Media branching out, expanding their network into offnet areas by utilising the broadband network via something called IPTV? What a brilliant idea! I can see it now..

The Virgin FourPlay Offering:
1. Telephone
2. Mobile
3. High speed fibre to the home/cabinet broadband.
4. Offnet Virgin Cable via IPTV with TiVo

I see an article from 2007 .. but then another announcing roll out has been delayed until 2009. Then another article saying they're beginning trials of the technology in Cornwall. Then ... NOTHING.

What happened? Did the trials take place? What did people think of the service? Did they dismiss the idea as unworkable or did Virgin really completely forget about it for the next 9 years?

I really, really want my TiVo and I'd love a multi-channel alternative to Sky. With everything and eveyone now seemingly moving to streaming services, why oh why isn't Virgin moving in this area?

Virgin doesn't appear to be offering any offnet services at all now. A search on my postcode informs me there are NO services in my area. Have Virgin really retreated to their limited cable footprint, and thrown in the towel and given up on the rest of the country altogether? It doesn't seem a very sensible strategy for growth!

I'd love to hear your thoughts and insights on this issue!

Oh, and greetings to anyone who was actually a member of this forum back in 2006 and is still here now!

Last edited by iSteve; 29-05-2018 at 23:29.
iSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2018, 23:36   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Whatever Happened to Virgin IPTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve View Post
Virgin doesn't appear to be offering any offnet services at all now. A search on my postcode informs me there are NO services in my area. Have Virgin really retreated to their limited cable footprint, and thrown in the towel and given up on the rest of the country altogether? It doesn't seem a very sensible strategy for growth!
Virgin are concentrating on building new network areas where they can deploy their cable service, rather than run a Virgin Media branded service over Openreach lines.

The quoted cost of this network expansion is £3bn.
Old 29-05-2018, 23:37   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Welcome back ! What I really want to know is how you remembered you password after 11 years ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 00:39   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But what's this I see... articles about Virgin Media branching out, expanding their network into offnet areas by utilising the broadband network via something called IPTV? What a brilliant idea! I can see it now..

The Virgin FourPlay Offering:
1. Telephone
2. Mobile
3. High speed fibre to the home/cabinet broadband.
4. Offnet Virgin Cable via IPTV with TiVo

I see an article from 2007 .. but then another announcing roll out has been delayed until 2009. Then another article saying they're beginning trials of the technology in Cornwall. Then ... NOTHING.

What happened? Did the trials take place?
Yes, they did. Twice, in fact. Though it was before the TiVo days. The boxes used a newer version of the Liberate middleware. I think in the end it was decided there wasn't enough money to be made by carrying TV over other people's networks.

Though it wasn't all in vain. The cable TV distribution network was also switched to IP back in 2009, and so it remains. It works very well.

Quote:
Oh, and greetings to anyone who was actually a member of this forum back in 2006 and is still here now!
There's plenty of us
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 15:47   #5
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Sky are looking to launch this soon, which could be a real game changer.

It means getting to customers in flats or buildings where Sats cannot be installed.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:39   #6
rssfed23
cf.member

rssfed23 is an unknown quantity at this point

So; based on this survey I did for VM they're seriously considering creating Apple TV IPTV support. Seems like in some cases they'd use an apple TV instead of a v6 box. The questions were asking us about that!
Screenshot 2018-06-22 at 00.17.35.png
rssfed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 22:44   #7
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssfed23 View Post
So; based on this survey I did for VM they're seriously considering creating Apple TV IPTV support. Seems like in some cases they'd use an apple TV instead of a v6 box. The questions were asking us about that!
Attachment 27457

I think Virgin are realising the public are becoming cord cutters and would be willing to pay to stream through Apple TV than being forced to hire a clunky cable box.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 19:20   #8
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

But the thing is you still need some kind of "cord" to access the streaming services whether it be a wired or wireless internet connection.

As I've said before, this age of "apps" is a backward step in my opinion. the dream of having all tv services packaged up by the cable company in a nice easy to use interface was never fully realised. Now we have to use separate apps each with their own interfaces. I don't call that progress at all.
Old 23-06-2018, 19:48   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But the thing is you still need some kind of "cord" to access the streaming services whether it be a wired or wireless internet connection.

As I've said before, this age of "apps" is a backward step in my opinion. the dream of having all tv services packaged up by the cable company in a nice easy to use interface was never fully realised. Now we have to use separate apps each with their own interfaces. I don't call that progress at all.
Except, of course, that you can bookmark Netflix shows so they appear in ‘My Shows’. Being able to access all content with one box is the way to go. Just waiting for Amazon now!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote