Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 2ac vs Hub 3 modem mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 2ac vs Hub 3 modem mode

Old 25-06-2018, 13:56   #1
Morgrin
cf.member

Morgrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hub 2ac vs Hub 3 modem mode

I currently have a 2ac Hub which I run in modem mode. I have a Hub 3 in a box (from when I had V6 installed, but opted out of installing), would I see any benefit from installing the Hub 3, also in modem mode?

The reason I ask is that this year my broadband speed has been VERY hit & miss due to oversubscription down from 200mb/12mb to 50mb/4mb at peak times. Virgin CS have been no help whatsoever.
Morgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2018, 14:08   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Hub 2ac vs Hub 3 modem mode

Wifi range and stability dropped significantly when I tried the Hub3. So I swapped back to the SHUB2ac.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 14:46   #3
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

If you're normally affected by congestion, the Hub3 might help - As it can spread the load across many more channels...

Hearing good things about the new firmware revisions on the Hub3, so perhaps worth a go.

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 00:17   #4
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
If you're normally affected by congestion, the Hub3 might help - As it can spread the load across many more channels...

Hearing good things about the new firmware revisions on the Hub3, so perhaps worth a go.

Tom
Not that I had an issue with online gaming, however its much better!
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 21:02   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgrin View Post
I currently have a 2ac Hub which I run in modem mode.......would I see any benefit from installing the Hub 3, also in modem mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Wifi range and stability dropped significantly when I tried the Hub3. So I swapped back to the SHUB2ac.

Anyways, you will be better off swapping to the shub3. The only real major difference with the shub 3 and the one that in this case also applies to you is that it load balances across (up to) 24 downstream channels vs the 8 which shub2 and shub1 are limited to. The firmware update doesn't do any miracles for the shub3 and fudges the latency graph to make it look better and also add some reporting features which you will already have in shub2. That being said, despite numerous outpours on the VM forum there aren't any issues with gaming and latency. I have only played first person shooters and I put many hours in every week and I have never had any problems at all and believe me if there was a problem affecting my performance I would be the first one to moan.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 21:47   #6
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't if I were you!, just check the official forums for the amount of unhappy people ... https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...unityHubForums

I've had nothing but problems since I installed the SHUB3 back in March ... constantly dropping out, sometimes for hours on end, gaming is impossible (doesn't bother me so much but the lad cannot use his xbox!)

I'm seriously looking at other providers now ...
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 22:20   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
I wouldn't if I were you!, just check the official forums for the amount of unhappy people ... https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...unityHubForums

I've had nothing but problems since I installed the SHUB3 back in March ... constantly dropping out, sometimes for hours on end, gaming is impossible (doesn't bother me so much but the lad cannot use his xbox!)

I'm seriously looking at other providers now ...

I have had a HUB 3 for some while, in fact I was on the HUB3 trials which was well over a year ago and I am happy with.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 14:00   #8
Morgrin
cf.member

Morgrin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies .. they do reflect what I have read all over the internet; some have better, some worse results.

Can I just switch the Hubs or do I have to call Virgin CS to activate?
Morgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 14:36   #9
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgrin View Post
Thanks for all the replies .. they do reflect what I have read all over the internet; some have better, some worse results.

Can I just switch the Hubs or do I have to call Virgin CS to activate?

I think that you will need to call VM to Activate.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote