Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best TV streamers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

Best TV streamers

Old 13-01-2018, 14:36   #16
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Best TV streamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Very good question. To me, a VPN adds extra cost that could be spent on content.
From a bargain basement angle, if you have Netflix and Now TV, what would a VPN provide that those two don't?
My friend uses a VPN to access the US version of Netflix which provides significantly more content than the UK version. His account still seems to work OK. It just means he can't get some UK orientated content unless he reverts back to UK settings.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2018, 10:28   #17
CassieJ
Inactive

CassieJ is on a distinguished roadCassieJ is on a distinguished road

I'm using Zattoo if we're talking about Internet TV. It's an app so you can install on any device, including your Android. One tip, try the free version first to see if you like it before committing the premium. I used to use the TV app on iPhone but it doesn't provide good content as Zattoo, besides it has to link to many other apps in order to watch just one news or movie. So I don't like it as much.
I also have Amazon Prime account to stream movies, even though all my friends suggest me to change to Netflix cause' there are more interesting series. Let's see, I'll decide when my subscription finishes.
CassieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 14:38   #18
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieJ View Post
I'm using Zattoo if we're talking about Internet TV. It's an app so you can install on any device, including your Android. One tip, try the free version first to see if you like it before committing the premium. I used to use the TV app on iPhone but it doesn't provide good content as Zattoo, besides it has to link to many other apps in order to watch just one news or movie. So I don't like it as much.
I also have Amazon Prime account to stream movies, even though all my friends suggest me to change to Netflix cause' there are more interesting series. Let's see, I'll decide when my subscription finishes.
Yes, both Amazon and Netflix are excellent, although I do think Netflix currently have the better choice of good original TV series.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 15:10   #19
CassieJ
Inactive

CassieJ is on a distinguished roadCassieJ is on a distinguished road

Yeah I'm watching few series on Amazon but I think you can also get those series on Netflix, Stranger Things for example.
CassieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 18:23   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieJ View Post
Yeah I'm watching few series on Amazon but I think you can also get those series on Netflix, Stranger Things for example.
Yes, Stranger Things and Stranger Things 2 are both free on Netflix.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:19   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I thought everything was free after you'd paid your subscription
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 08:45   #22
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I thought everything was free after you'd paid your subscription
It is free on Netflix once you've paid your subscription. However, that is not always the case with Amazon, which charges for those programmes and films for which it has not acquired the rights.
Old 23-04-2018, 19:35   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

So who is the free Netflix content aimed at? Non subscribers to temp them to sign up?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 19:53   #24
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So who is the free Netflix content aimed at? Non subscribers to temp them to sign up?
I'm not sure if you understood me.

If you subscribe to Netflix by paying the subscription, everything you watch on it comes with no further cost.

If you subscribe to Amazon by paying the subscription, you can watch Amazon Originals and a selection of other content for which they have secured the rights without further cost. However, you can also watch films and TV series for which Amazon don't have the rights on a PPV basis.
Old 23-04-2018, 23:53   #25
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Free is a poor term to describe Netflix's service. It is an all-inclusive service or all-you-can-eat service.
By contrast, Ratuken is a PAYG service and Amazon is a combination of both.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 17:49   #26
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

DRM can raise it's ugly head when it comes to choosing streaming hardware.
Android has Googles Widevine DRM and some official media apps will only work if the box is certified to a certain level thanks to the media cartels insistence. Same reason you can't use the Sky or Virgin streaming app on a rooted phone. Spotify just goes to a blank screen when run on a box without the right DRM level.

At the same time Google are not interested in certifying people unless they are a huge player, even if the manufacturer sells millions of devices. It's all about control.

While the Nvidia shield is certified and will play back Netflix 4K, Youtube HD and Amazon Prime, another similar spec android box won't. Amazon might not stream at all and Netflix will be stuck at standard def on that box. So if official apps are important, consider that when looking for a box.

The Amazon firestick was popular because it was a cheap android stick with the drm so it would run all the official apps, despite there being much better hardware out there for a cheaper price.

I have seen the DRM come back to bite them though and people stung by DRM on their android box just pirate instead of paying for the service like they intended. Wanted to pay but instead ended up using Kodi addons, tv streaming apk's or something similar.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote