Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 09-01-2018, 17:58   #346
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

I've had an issue with Netflix on three separate occasions on the V6 now. Trying to play a show, it buffers to 24% and doesn't get any further. Stop doesn't work and trying to return to guide or TV results in a black screen. Only option is to pull the power on the box at this point. Once rebooted the "problem" title plays with no issue.
Old 09-01-2018, 18:08   #347
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

My fix for that was to put a v6 in, gutted it's now happening to v6
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 18:10   #348
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The Netflix buffering issue seems to be a random issue across different devices on different ISPs.

The only common factor I have found is 'Netflix'.

Here is the BT stb on BT broadband - https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-...5/td-p/1505987
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22   #349
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The Netflix buffering issue seems to be a random issue across different devices on different ISPs.

The only common factor I have found is 'Netflix'.

Here is the BT stb on BT broadband - https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-...5/td-p/1505987
It seems to be a very recent issue, I've had the two v6 boxes since just after release and haven't had it on either until the last couple weeks. Fair enough the buffering issue could be a Netflix fault, but surely it shouldn't require the plug to be pulled in order to exit the app...
Old 10-01-2018, 13:27   #350
qwakuk
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Oomph, 3 V6 boxes, M600 BB
qwakuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
I've had an issue with Netflix on three separate occasions on the V6 now. Trying to play a show, it buffers to 24% and doesn't get any further. Stop doesn't work and trying to return to guide or TV results in a black screen. Only option is to pull the power on the box at this point. Once rebooted the "problem" title plays with no issue.
Also seen this, annoying but easy fix

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

New issue yesterday, had watched a program and went back to my shows, selected another and just got a blank screen. Tried pulling HDMI cables and reseating, powering down amp, tv, V6. Only way to get a pcitre was to pull the power on the V6 box.

It was actually very hot to the touch so assume heat was the cause
qwakuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 21:33   #351
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

These boxes were built without a fan to keep costs down.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 21:46   #352
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm pretty sure there is a fan in the V6 box
Old 10-01-2018, 22:47   #353
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'm 100% positive there is, anyway fans are not expensive
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 22:55   #354
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Indeed there is.

Though it's unlikely it was overheating. If it was, it would shut down with a message on the screen like this

qwakuk: Call VM if it happens again.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If a box needs a fan, it gets a fan. An unreliable box would cost VM a lot more than a fan would.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 22:57   #355
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Fans are cheap as chips you only have to look at case fans on Amazon, so I cannot see that being a factor.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:27   #356
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Fans are cheap as chips you only have to look at case fans on Amazon, so I cannot see that being a factor.
I'd rather not have fans in STBs, but not because of the cost. They can be noisy and unreliable things. But if they are needed, they are needed.

Incidentally, the V6 has 11 temperature sensors. Not exactly cost-cutting!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:42   #357
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

I've never heard any noise coming from my V6 box and I'm normally the one nearest the TV. However my 500GB regular TiVo often makes rumbling noises which can get quite loud and from what I've read that doesn't have a fan. I don't think it has ever forgiven me when I moved it to a different room.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:07   #358
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
I've never heard any noise coming from my V6 box and I'm normally the one nearest the TV. However my 500GB regular TiVo often makes rumbling noises which can get quite loud and from what I've read that doesn't have a fan. I don't think it has ever forgiven me when I moved it to a different room.
I think that's down to the hard drives used.

My understanding is that the older TiVo uses 3.5" desktop hard drives, and the V6 boxes use 2.5" laptop drives.

So Laptop drives are almost always quieter than desktop drives.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:29   #359
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
So I just got Virgin installed again today, after quite the ordeal. It came with a V6 box, except it doesn't seem to work with my setup.

I have an AMP between it and my TV, if I connect to the AMP I get a HDCP 2.2 error. From looking around, this appears to be a known issue - the issue isn't the AMP (Which is 2.2 compliant) but actually the TV, which isn't. Stupidly, if I plug directly into the TV it does work but I don't get my nice surround.

I've done some Googling and it seems this is a known issue and in fact by design as per the HDMI spec - no downgrades to older HDCP versions, either everything is the same version or nothing is. So far the ONLY solution I've seen for this is to use a box to strip the HDCP protection back to 1.4, but this also means you lose Dolby/DTS unless you also connect via optical. That seems like a frustrating and poor workaround to me.

Is my above information correct? Is there anything I could have missed? If there's a way of getting this to work properly, as in just one HDMI cable from the V6 to my amp then I'm all ears, otherwise I'll be requesting they remove the V6 box entirely as I'm not faffing about with multiple inputs for some basic TV.
I had the very same problem with my Yamaha amp, in the end I had to get this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still get DD5.1 via the V6 box, so all good in the end.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:55   #360
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
It might just be the surface on which the TiVo rests. You might like to think about putting some sort of padding underneath the box to dampen the noise.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote