Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 28-10-2012, 21:01   #196
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
exactly Den cant see many going from sky to bt if any
Look at the big picture Dave , Rome wasn't built in a day. I think I'm right in saying that andy m has commented that BT's service would currently be of no use to him as his area has no BT fibre , that's pretty much the same scenario I'm in however don't forget their fibre footprint will continue to grow as will their content acquisitions.

BT's problem is that for a long time it's just been a Freeview service with pay On Demand content , in my opinion this will change over time and we'll see them change into a more traditional pay TV service lets not forget there's nothing stopping them bidding for movie content or starting their own Entrtainment channels up , it will certainly be interesting to watch how they progress.

For me competition from a third pay TV operator is long overdue and very welcome.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2012, 21:15   #197
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

I'm very interested to see how Virgin react if ESPN pulls out of the UK, and essentially out of the XL package. Since 2007 XL customers have enjoyed "free" sport from Setanta then ESPN. If Virgin can't agree a deal with BT, for BT sports to be added to the XL package, there's going to be some unhappy XL customers. Virgin customers have long memories and won't let Virgin forget their previous declarations of adding value and going the extra mile for sports fans.

20th July 2007 - Setanta Sports deal (Virgin press release)

"The combination of great content and unbeatable value will help make Virgin Media's XL package the UK's best quality TV offer. This package is not a “one-off” promotional or introductory offer and will form part of Virgin Media's TV offer on an ongoing basis. Customers of any other Virgin Media TV service who want to add these Setanta channels to their service will be able to do so for just ÂŁ8 a month."

29th July 2007 - ESPN deal (Virgin press release)

"Mark Schweitzer, chief commercial officer of Virgin Media, said: “This agreement solidifies Virgin Media’s place as the home of TV entertainment and is unquestionably the best value TV deal for sports fanatics. We’ve got all the sports content you’d expect and adding the new ESPN channels to our line-up will mean our customers can watch all the football action they want. Mr Schweitzer added: “We’re always looking for ways to go the extra mile for our customers and we think this market beating offer does this in spades as well as providing a sweetener for the start of the football season."
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 21:17   #198
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Look at the big picture Dave , Rome wasn't built in a day. I think I'm right in saying that andy m has commented that BT's service would currently be of no use to him as his area has no BT fibre , that's pretty much the same scenario I'm in however don't forget their fibre footprint will continue to grow as will their content acquisitions.

BT's problem is that for a long time it's just been a Freeview service with pay On Demand content , in my opinion this will change over time and we'll see them change into a more traditional pay TV service lets not forget there's nothing stopping them bidding for movie content or starting their own Entrtainment channels up , it will certainly be interesting to watch how they progress.

For me competition from a third pay TV operator is long overdue and very welcome.
so long as theres no exclusivity on provider platforms meaning Sky and BT will say you cant have this and that to broadcast on your platform blah blah like now with the Sky VM crap.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 13:39   #199
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Throwing a lot of money around is one thing but making a impact is another and we shall see what transpires in the coming next year or two.
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/162024.html#

I am rather confused as to how ESPN can have new three year deals for European leagues as signed in above story and BT can have the rights too.....
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 13:56   #200
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

BT official press release:

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/S...4-A703DE91345D

BT has signed the rights to show live top tier football matches from Italy, France, Brazil and the US, as it strengthens its new channel BT Sport.

The live matches from Serie A in Italy, Ligue 1 in France, Brasileiro in Brazil and the Major League Soccer (MLS) in the USA will feature some of the greatest players and some of the top clubs in the world.

The footage was previously shown on ESPN. BT has bought the live games to bolster its new sports channel, which will be founded upon 38 live games a season from the Barclays Premier League, 18 of which will be the best quality ‘first pick’ games featuring the top six teams. When BT won those rights for three years from 2013, it was the first time anyone other than Sky had won rights to show any of the ‘first pick’ games in the history of the Barclays Premier League.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:22   #201
Jameseh

I wonder if BT did buy ESPN (which at this point seems likely), if they would have to honour the existing deals, like free on XL and on Sky Go. Anyone got a law degree?
Old 29-10-2012, 14:28   #202
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
So it looks like ESPN has gone along with one of VM's biggest selling points on the TV side if true.
not if VM can get the bt sports channel to replace it
Dave42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:45   #203
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
I wonder if BT did buy ESPN (which at this point seems likely), if they would have to honour the existing deals, like free on XL and on Sky Go. Anyone got a law degree?
There not buying ESPN just their content by the looks of it.
Quote:
I'd be amazed if that was included free on any platform other than BT Vision , surely they've splashed all this cash to attract more Vision pay TV/Infinity customers however at this stage it's all guesswork.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:48   #204
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Indeed that would be very nice.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:
There not buying ESPN just their content by the looks of it.

I'd be amazed if that was included free on any platform other than BT Vision , surely they've splashed all this cash to attract more Vision pay TV/Infinity customers.
Well lets see MM what the future brings before we come to any quick conclusions.
Old 29-10-2012, 16:27   #205
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well lets see MM what the future brings before we come to any quick conclusions.
I don’t think he is drawing a quick conclusion. He’s probably based his opinion on 4 months worth of press reports and press releases from BT, ever since they secured EPL rights.

Everything I’ve seen so far suggests BT will be using the channel to attract new customers. BT has also confirmed people will not have to enter into an expensive TV contract to get access to the channel i.e. an 18 months contract to Virgins XL package.

On a separate issue I was reading an article over the weekend that suggested BT share holders are incredibly worried about “reckless spending” to secure TV rights. It’s understood BT went into the EPL bidding to secure all or nothing. The intent of BT was to grab all of the packages SKY were bidding for. What they’ve ended up with is the middle ground that shareholders are claiming was never BT’s intention. BT is perceived to be making the most of an awkward situation. This matter is high on the agenda for BT’s AGM later this week.
Old 29-10-2012, 19:52   #206
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

BT will have to make an announcement if they are planning to takeover ESPN UKs operations, as they are publicly traded - it shouldn't happen out of the blue.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 20:38   #207
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
BT will have to make an announcement if they are planning to takeover ESPN UKs operations, as they are publicly traded - it shouldn't happen out of the blue.
If BT don't takeover ESPN, they could just as easily buy all there infrastructure as they are there content.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:05   #208
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

so BT are not going to use ITVs equipment etc. and instead build an empire? Hope they know what their doing if they are doing the latter.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:38   #209
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
strange. i swear i heard ESPN brought more rights to Ligue1, Serie A, Budesliga etc. which they were going to focus on. this was said prior to the sell so may be it was a plot to sell ESPN as a whole rather than having plans to carry without the EPL. will they share euro fixtures or is ESPN going to sell it off to BT
I know they signed deals for foreign football leagues for more than one year and Wiki states:

In May 2012, ESPN acquired the rights to broadcast the Campeonato Brasileiro SĂ©rie A from Brazil,[54] followed by a deal in June to broadcast Ligue 1 from France.[55] In July, ESPN announced a renewed multi-season Bundesliga rights deal, lasting until the 2014-15 season, for up to four matches per week (all in high definition).[56] It will also screen action from the DFL-Supercup, as well as a highlights packages and video on-demand footage. In addition, agreements for the Eredivisie and Russian Premier League were also renewed
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 12:13   #210
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

It would appear that Bt set out to be Sky Sports and ended up being ESPN, and its cost them a hell of a lot more than it should have done to get to that position. Like Muppetman said, we're in the realms of guess work at the minute, but I should imagine there is still plenty of scope for Virgin to get this new channel on good terms at this moment in time.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote