Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Two computers online?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Two computers online?

Old 20-10-2007, 19:41   #16
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice
Re: Two computers online?

The difference between a cable and adsl routers is that adsl router sometimes have a built in modem, plus it will say on the box, a Linksys WRT54g is a very good router, I recommend you buy it, it is also very easy to set up, you will be up and running within 10-15 mins.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2007, 19:56   #17
Agent Piltdown
Inactive

Agent Piltdown is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, I'll hunt that down. Looking forward to getting a connection close on to 100mbps.

Thanks alot for your help, guys. You rock!
Agent Piltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 20:17   #18
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

If your not using the wireless you can just turn it off, if you need help doing that tell people here which router you bought and i'm sure someone will talk you through it...

You should get close to 100mbit/s communications between the pcs on the LAN but of course anything to/from the internet will only be as fast as your broadband.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 17:12   #19
Agent Piltdown
Inactive

Agent Piltdown is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, it worked without a hitch. Thank you so much, guys.

Well, some final questions. Are there any possible security threats with using the switch alone for net use? I heard somewhere it opens you up to all kinds of nasty threats.

And will setting a Static IP for optimizing uTorrent cause problems with my Virgin Broadband connection? This is the method I intend to use:

http://paperkingdoms.wordpress.com/2...peed-problems/

Again, thank you so much for your help. It's great to finally get this sorted.
Agent Piltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 22:34   #20
xspeedyx

why you need a static just open the ports on your router/firewall
Old 01-11-2007, 22:41   #21
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
why you need a static just open the ports on your router/firewall
internally?

So you don't have to remap the ports every time you connect to the network.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:40   #22
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Piltdown View Post
And will setting a Static IP for optimizing uTorrent cause problems with my Virgin Broadband connection? This is the method I intend to use:
That shouldn't cause any problems. My home network runs a mix of DHCP and Static IPs. I use uTorrent from a machine with a fixed IP for the same reasons you are considering. All running through a DLink router without any problems at all.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 20:19   #23
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
That shouldn't cause any problems. My home network runs a mix of DHCP and Static IPs. I use uTorrent from a machine with a fixed IP for the same reasons you are considering. All running through a DLink router without any problems at all.
I use DHCP but my router lets me Bind mac addresses to IP addresses, which i've done for most of the devices that are frequently on the network.

This means that it will always give those devices the same Internal IP everytime

My external IP is dynamic and there's not much I can do about that apart from use Dyndns.
Old 02-11-2007, 21:12   #24
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

There's a much simpler way than that about it imo, change the IP range on the router to something like ...2-...100 (after all when are you going to connect 98 devices to the router!?) and then set any statics to be above 100, this would work perfectly unless you constantly changed between 2 routers.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 21:41   #25
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
There's a much simpler way than that about it imo, change the IP range on the router to something like ...2-...100 (after all when are you going to connect 98 devices to the router!?) and then set any statics to be above 100, this would work perfectly unless you constantly changed between 2 routers.
I prefer to allocate them on the router since I don't want to login to umpteen devices and change the settings when I can just copy and paste a mac address from the DHCP clients table into the Reserved ip's table
Old 04-11-2007, 16:18   #26
vivekns007
Inactive

vivekns007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
What i understand is UR ISP is Virgin.. and U Dont have DHCP enabled modem( modem will provide only one IP address), and u got the second Computer , and U Dont want to go WIRELESS..

Its not advised to connect two computers with Ethernet Cable and enable Internet Sharing..Internet Speed will be Low.

The Best thing, instead of going for wireless router, GO FOR WIRED 4 PORT ROUTER.. where u can connect 4 computers wired and can go online..speed will same..no hassles..

Regards
Vivek N

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Piltdown View Post
Alright, got myself a problem here. Basically, I want to get online via a hardline with the current broadband connection supplied by Virgin.

Problem is, I think the service is set up so only the original PC can get online. I just hunkered downstairs the additional Desktop to get online at the connection of the old PC, and it's not having it.

I thought I would simply be able to use an Ethernet switch to get them both online, but is it so that Virgin have assigned it so only a specific IP can get online?

What are my options here then? I'd really rather avoid having to use wireless because it won't be as fast and safe as a hardline. Bridgeing the connections with the old PC isn't really viable as it is a dinosaur, too...

Many thanks!
Hi
What i understand is UR ISP is Virgin.. and U Dont have DHCP enabled modem( modem will provide only one IP address), and u got the second Computer , and U Dont want to go WIRELESS..

Its not advised to connect two computers with Ethernet Cable and enable Internet Sharing..Internet Speed will be Low.

The Best thing, instead of going for wireless router, GO FOR WIRED 4 PORT ROUTER.. where u can connect 4 computers wired and can go online..speed will same..no hassles..

Regards
Vivek N
vivekns007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 16:44   #27
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekns007 View Post

Hi

Regards
Vivek N
Most wireless routers also offer extra wired ports, so why limit your options by buying a wired router?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 17:33   #28
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I`m no too sure about that .....
I`ve never had any issues whatsoever in that department using ics( IP Masquerading) via iptables in Linux.I`ve never used Windows to do the ICS but there is an XP drive on another pc that receives it just fine.

IF(and it`s a big IF) we are getting the full 20Mb through the modem though then every pc/os around the house is quite capable of receicving it too.
I`m not saying dont use a router of course but ICS for us has been great for our particular situation.

We have 2 seperate broadband connections which was really the only reason we never bothered with a router,when it was just the 2 pc`s that is.

I have complete control over both bb connections from right here so i can easily route whatever one i want round the rest of the house(older kids rooms & lounge).
Depending on whos using which pc though everything webside is easily restricted as appropriate....or permitted if appropriate to be more precise.
I`m very conscious of what our young girls do online so being their router/firewall/gateway suits me just fine
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote