Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 4k on VM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

4k on VM

Old 17-07-2018, 12:30   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
4k on VM

Apologies for yet another thread on this subject, but I just want the answers to a few simple questions and I couldn't see them on this sub forum easily.

I have a 4k tv, an older type TiVo and the minimum Virgin Media tv package. So:

1) To get more 4k TV content, do I need a new Tivo 6 box, and how much will that cost?
2) Is it even worth it? i.e. - if there are hardly any 4k channels / content then is there any point? I don't subscribe to Netflix and don't want to.
3) Will I have to upgrade my Virgin TV package to get more 4k content?

Thanks.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2018, 12:42   #2
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
Re: 4k on VM

The older Tivo boxes can only output upto 1080i IIRC.

If you can wrangle a deal where they send you a V6 for nothing on a self install, maybe out of contract(?) then yeah go for it. Even if it's just for the extra tuners

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 12:53   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I don't think you will get a 4K channel on the V6 on the minimum package, but you may get some 4K content on BBC iplayer if your TV is compatible.
Old 17-07-2018, 12:57   #4
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I don't think you will get a 4K channel on the V6 on the minimum package, but you may get some 4K content on BBC iplayer if your TV is compatible.
Hi, I already get some 4k (Wimbledon, World Cup, Beta Testing nature programmes) on the iPlayer smart tv app. so that is good - I just wondered if there was content I could get by upgrading to V6. It doesn't sound like there is much to be had at the moment though.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
The older Tivo boxes can only output upto 1080i IIRC.

If you can wrangle a deal where they send you a V6 for nothing on a self install, maybe out of contract(?) then yeah go for it. Even if it's just for the extra tuners
Thanks. It may be worth trying to get a V6 anyway then
Old 17-07-2018, 13:14   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

BT Sports 4K is coming to VM if you like football, although you will need a higher package for that and a V6, it is worth getting a V6 as it is far faster and a much smaller box.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33706583
Old 17-07-2018, 13:17   #6
smallclone
cf.geek

I find it infuriating that I can't check my contract end date online on MyVirginMedia but that's another story.
Old 17-07-2018, 13:22   #7
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Just be aware there is just a single HDMI output on the V6. Many use the old Tivos scart as an extra output for other TVs/dvd recorder.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 13:24   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I find it infuriating that I can't check my contract end date online on MyVirginMedia but that's another story.

I just checked mine and get this, although i know i am many years out of contract so need to phone thinking of leaving to get a better deal as i have never been on a deal.

Quote:
Unfortunately we don't have a digital copy of your current contract...
If you change your services or renew your offer we will be able to update and place that contract here.
Old 17-07-2018, 13:40   #9
smallclone
cf.geek

Just rung them up and they've got a V6 box on it's way - free of charge (as I'll fit it myself), so hopefully I'll at least have more functionality if not loads more 4k content.

Question though:

1) Can I use the existing VM cable coming into my current TiVo? There's no need to change that right?

2) What's the output from the v6? Is it better than 1080i?
Old 17-07-2018, 14:46   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
1) Can I use the existing VM cable coming into my current TiVo? There's no need to change that right?
It depends which kit they send you. There might be an adaptor to put on the end of the existing cable, or it might be a new cable. But either way, it should be a simple enough task.

Quote:
2) What's the output from the v6? Is it better than 1080i?
You should get 2160p into a 4K TV. The box will upscale HD broadcasts that are 1080i.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 14:54   #11
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It depends which kit they send you. There might be an adaptor to put on the end of the existing cable, or it might be a new cable. But either way, it should be a simple enough task.
Good stuff, as long as I can connect to existing cable connection it should be fine

Quote:
You should get 2160p into a 4K TV. The box will upscale HD broadcasts that are 1080i.
Awesome. That'll help.

The call centre also upgraded my broadband from 150mbs to 200mbs and reduced my monthly bill by a tenner. so a successful day

cheers.
Old 17-07-2018, 15:11   #12
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You can.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 15:14   #13
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
You can.
How?
Old 17-07-2018, 16:05   #14
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Mine is here - https://ebill2.virginmedia.com/ebill2/ViewContract.jsf
Quote:
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 16:07   #15
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
How?
Go into My Virginmedia.
Go to My Bills.
Press View Contract tab.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote