Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 19-07-2017, 20:50   #7231
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Amazon to challenge Sky for live tennis rights?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...rs-rights.html

Last edited by muppetman11; 19-07-2017 at 20:59.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2017, 21:28   #7232
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Amazon to challenge Sky for live tennis rights?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...rs-rights.html
The ATP have a streaming app on Amazon which is not part of the current Amazon Channel offering. Have a feeling there is truth in the story but not as the Mail have interpreted.

Think it's more likely Amazon are pushing to have the ATP streaming app added to their Amazon Channel line up. The app suddenly becomes more attractive if all ATP tournaments outwith the slams are exclusive to the app. It's possible Amazon are prepared to grease the wheels to make this reality.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 22:24   #7233
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Could be right although clearly Amazon want in on Sports Rights.
http://variety.com/2016/digital/news...eo-1201923915/
Since this article they've captured the NFL Networks Thursday Night games from Twitter.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 23:30   #7234
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Can't wait to see the bidding process for the next Premiership football rights!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 23:49   #7235
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
why so they bid higher and we pay more
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 23:54   #7236
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post

Or even worse a 3rd, 4th etc bidder gets involved - spreading the rights across at least 1 other supplier.

End result subscribers have to pay for another subscription to watch all of the broadcast games.

Competition does not work in the subscribers interest - it merely drives up the price.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 00:43   #7237
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Or even worse a 3rd, 4th etc bidder gets involved - spreading the rights across at least 1 other supplier.

End result subscribers have to pay for another subscription to watch all of the broadcast games.

Competition does not work in the subscribers interest - it merely drives up the price.
True however next time the rights are sold the amount of games will go up from the the current 168 to at least 190 as a result of a deal the Premiership struck with Ofcom. There is a suggestion that the total amount of games on offer will actually be over 200.

There is room for a 3rd party other than SKY and BT to come in, win a package or 2, and not decrease the amount of games current being shown on SKY and BT.

In that scenario, if you are a SKY or BT subscribers, you're not actually losing out at all in terms of numbers of games. You will however have the option to watch even more games than before if you're prepared to pay extra to the new 3rd party.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 00:46   #7238
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Competition does work for the consumer if it's genuine competition.

E.g. if I want a mobile phone service, I have the choice of multiple operators all of whom provide a mobile phone service of voice, text and data. Yes, they differ in quality, price, extras, etc, but that is a genuine choice dependant upon what overall package you require from your mobile phone service.

The Premier League rights are sold in exclusive packs so there is no competition. If you want 100+ games your only choice is currently Sky Sports, if you want just 20+ different games your only choice is currently BT Sport and if you want them all you have to have both.

Now if all broadcasters could buy the same packs of Premier League matches, e.g.Sky, BT, Netflix, Amazon, etc, all had the same 120+ matches, that would be true competition as the consumer would be able to watch all the matches on the broadcaster that offered them the best all round package for their needs.

It's unlikely that this true competition will happen in the short-term as losing broadcaster exclusivity would also reduce the price they were willing to pay to line the pockets of the Premier League.
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 06:52   #7239
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why? as the same companies are likely to be involved despite your pie in the sky hopes that it will be big changes ahead..

---------- Post added at 05:52 ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
You have got it in one Dave.
Old 20-07-2017, 09:48   #7240
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Why? as the same companies are likely to be involved despite your pie in the sky hopes that it will be big changes ahead..

---------- Post added at 05:52 ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 ----------

You have got it in one Dave.
As Chad said, the dynamics are changing. Not only are more matches up for grabs, but other players with bigger pockets are circling around sports rights. Higher prices are not inevitable - there are other options available, such as lower prices to bring in bigger audiences, charging other platforms the right to show specific matches at an affordable price, offering lower price subscriptions to bolster other purchases (Amazon is a good example of how this could work), etc.

Yes, if you look at the emerging scenario with tunnel vision, all you will see is increasing prices, because that is what we are used to with Sky. But there are other approaches, as I am sure will be revealed.

Don't underestimate these new global players, who will eventually pose a very serious challenge to Sky on sports and film rights. I am certain that Sky is already working on a revised model for their TV business.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 13:43   #7241
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

anyone had any good offers from vm re sky sports recently ?

my discount ends today so about to give them a call and switch it off before considering my options

also noticed the only channels the rest of the family watch are in the mix package, so (apart from my bt sport watching) full house could also go if it saves a few quid
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 19:11   #7242
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
anyone had any good offers from vm re sky sports recently ?

my discount ends today so about to give them a call and switch it off before considering my options

also noticed the only channels the rest of the family watch are in the mix package, so (apart from my bt sport watching) full house could also go if it saves a few quid
My contract is up in early October mate, I had Sky Sports free for three months and had a previous discount on the sports also, when I enquired yesterday about a better deal I was told that my sports would go up by approx £31 in August, I also asked about the BB as I feel I don't really need the 200Mb speed, I was told that on the 5th August they are bringing back the 50Mb BB offer and you no longer need a telephone landline!
So i'm going to give them 60 days notice on the 5th August as there's no way my bill is going up by £31, if I have to dump the lot I will, he also offered me a free V6 box, so I'm going to tough it out and see what happens.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 19:22   #7243
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

cheers

mine was going up by a similar amount from today so i've just got rid, also dropped from full house to mix tv so no bt sports for now

also tried to drop bb from 200 to 100, he said he could give me 150 for the same price as 100 for some reason

yesterday my monthly bill was around 68, this morning it went up to about 100, its now down to 44

i dont think I like sport on tv that much anymore

see how i feel in a couple of weeks when the football gets going again

Last edited by pengedragon; 24-07-2017 at 21:11.
Old 24-07-2017, 19:29   #7244
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
see how i feel in a couple of weeks when the football gets going again
This is a problem for me mate, I like my football, but sometimes you just need to say "enough is enough" paying £100 plus for the services on offer from Virgin and Sky is a total rip off imo, especially what they are charging for the sports, we, the gullible public, are paying through the nose for overpaid run of the mill football players, it's just not on for me now.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 21:01   #7245
pengedragon
cf.addict

I think more and more people are agreeing with you