Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

Old 26-03-2018, 19:48   #5221
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Thanks weenie as we are all glad she is back home but there will be quite a few changes to make life easier for her in the future.
I remember when I had to make adaptions to my Mum's house and she was totally petrified of losing her independence but once it was explained this was being done so she could keep her independence she soon accepted it, in fact the stair lift was the best thing we bought but unfortunately my Dad and sister sold this when my Mum passed away and I personally think this was a huge error on there part as it would have helped my Father when the time comes as he is 81 years old.

Remember some social work departments can arrange stair lifts free of charge so it may be worth while contacting your local department to see if they offer this service sadly I did not know of this service until after we purchased the stair lift as many local council don't advertise this service

Take care den

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Damn eyesight!!

Just gets worse but am told that its still not bad enough that I would be able to register partially sight/vision Impaired.
I can imagine that this must be very frustrating Stephen as I suspect your just below the border line to be registered as partially sight/vision impaired.

Last edited by weenie; 26-03-2018 at 19:18.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2018, 00:23   #5222
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Trying to find a reasonably priced parking space to hire in Edinburgh 8am- 5pm which so far has been a total nightmare. I'm actually thinking of suggesting car sharing to him.
Old 30-03-2018, 13:10   #5223
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Thanks weenie as we are all glad she is back home but there will be quite a few changes to make life easier for her in the future.
So glad your Mum is home Den, what a wait for this and that, Just received recent post as the Forum was a bit wonky for me I kept getting old posts,
Hope she continues to improve ,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 13:39   #5224
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from weenie:

Trying to find a reasonably priced parking space to hire in Edinburgh 8am- 5pm which so far has been a total nightmare. I'm actually thinking of suggesting car sharing to him.
I know from trying to visit Edinburgh a few years ago and my subsequent email conversation with the tourist board that they operate a "Hate the Motorist" policy. However that might mean there's a reasonably priced park and ride scheme?
Old 30-03-2018, 15:36   #5225
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Managed to get a actual price and what he will be doing is buying a standard season ticket with the cost of £283.10.

His father and I are actually sitting back atm biting our tongue as we know he is excited at going for his 1st interview and being offered the job but we think he should also be still applying for jobs closer to home within a similar pay scale example if he were to get a job in Glasgow he would only be £80.00 monthly for his traveling but anytime we try and tell him these options he just keeps saying no I want this job.

Being a parent is so hard at times especially when you can see through your own experience the pit falls but all you can do is sit back and pray it works out for your kids and they learn from being so head strong on the plus side where my son will be working he will get the opportunity in going up the career ladder as he really could not have been offered a job in a better area, so I suppose like all aspects in life there are always going to be pro's and con's you just need to hope that the cons are worth it in the end.

I think being a parent worrying is just part of the job no matter what age they are!

Last edited by weenie; 30-03-2018 at 16:11.
Old 30-03-2018, 21:28   #5226
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My Niece girlfriend is in her 3rd week of 5 training for cabin crew, today she was in Manchester doing the cabin fire simulator as well as slide and ditching training.

While training she stating at my sisters, and when has money she'll need to get a room or house with other colleges (my sister doesn't want them living togther at this stage in there relationship).

I take her to and from her training as its just around the corner from me.

The other options would be the train but would cost £16 a day, the bus would cost £4 a day but take 1-1/2 hours.
Old 05-04-2018, 18:23   #5227
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

When you have jobs changed on you last minute, with a totally bogus reason. Someone pulled out. Yeah right, when they forget we can access our crew lists for jobs. So I have been swapped for someone.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 20:19   #5228
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
When you have jobs changed on you last minute, with a totally bogus reason. Someone pulled out. Yeah right, when they forget we can access our crew lists for jobs. So I have been swapped for someone.
not nice getting mucked about Mark no matter where that is.
Old 05-04-2018, 21:09   #5229
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
My Niece girlfriend is in her 3rd week of 5 training for cabin crew, today she was in Manchester doing the cabin fire simulator as well as slide and ditching training.

While training she stating at my sisters, and when has money she'll need to get a room or house with other colleges (my sister doesn't want them living togther at this stage in there relationship).

I take her to and from her training as its just around the corner from me.

The other options would be the train but would cost £16 a day, the bus would cost £4 a day but take 1-1/2 hours.
I missed the important bit, she was told before she started training would be paid, but last week she was told it would be for 4 days NOT 15 days.
Old 11-04-2018, 16:48   #5230
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

As you know my son got a new job and starts it at the end of this month and I'm starting to think he regrets taking it due to the traveling £284.10 per month, we did try and tell him that he would be just under £3.500 in traveling expenses at the time of accepting and let's just say we were shot down.

Is it normal to still keep applying for other jobs, will this not look bad should a job offer arise and he say's I have been working here for less than 3 months for example or do all Uni students do this. My son say's that most employers will understand his reason in looking for another job once he explains the daily commute & costs, whereas to me it looks bad to look for jobs when your have only just recently accepted one.

I'm just worried as this was is dream job and yet he is still applying for other jobs it really does not make sense to the likes of me, especially when he knew the costs of traveling.

I'm now worried that his Dad and I may have put him this job by making him aware of his expenses I really do wish we had kept our mouths shut now.

Last edited by weenie; 11-04-2018 at 16:53.
Old 11-04-2018, 17:37   #5231
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

@ weenie. I think you have to take a step back. It's true that employers are more used to employees moving between jobs these days but if they are investing in an employee I can't believe they will look kindly on an employee who leaves before any investment in him has paid a dividend. Future employers may well be a tad shy of offering employment which could end up with them being out of pocket in the same way.

On the other hand he may just be offered a job before he starts this current job in which case there is nothing to lose in seeing what other jobs may be on offer.

Your son now knows the travel costs, it has to be his decision what course he decides to take. All you and D have done is try to give him a look at the hard facts. It's all we as parents can do and the rest, though painful to watch, is up to our children.

<<hugs>> from someone who has been through the mill.
Old 11-04-2018, 18:31   #5232
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

@ Jo excellent advice and it is hard sitting back watching when we can so easily offer help/advise.

I'm just starting out on this journey and I will follow your advice by the letter that I promise.

When D spoke at work about this at his work the feedback was Oh you have one at home also who knows best, at the end of the day all you can do is sit back and be there when needed. Like i say its so blooming hard for both of us as his parent's.

Last edited by weenie; 11-04-2018 at 18:58.
Old 11-04-2018, 19:51   #5233
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
@ Jo excellent advice and it is hard sitting back watching when we can so easily offer help/advise.

I'm just starting out on this journey and I will follow your advice by the letter that I promise.

When D spoke at work about this at his work the feedback was Oh you have one at home also who knows best, at the end of the day all you can do is sit back and be there when needed. Like i say its so blooming hard for both of us as his parent's.
Just to share the pain Not the first time I could have cheerfully throttled our son and certainly not the last time.

Pete was due to start work and had fudged the fact that although he could 'drive' he hadn't actually passed his test. John and I had been teaching him and did feel he was ready but we were furious he hadn't thought through what could result if his employer thought he had a full licence. With only days to spare he managed to get a last minute cancellation test and the night before the test, the Thursday before he was to to start work on the Monday he decided, against my better judgement, that he wanted to have a final test drive.

We got as far as half way off our drive when he managed to catch the passenger side door trim on our gate, The trim was almost ripped off the car and the paintwork badly scratched. At 9pm on a cold dark winter's night John, Pete and I tried to make the damage less obvious. 10am the next day Pete took his test and passed. YAY.

He started work and on the first day he was asked to deliver and install a computer to one of the Directors. As the normal driver was on leave he was asked if he minded going on his own, He had never driven on a motor way, never driven a van and after the darling boy phoned me to let me know he could be late getting home I have never been so scared. I put the stress of his starting his first full time job as the reason I went prematurely grey.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:42   #5234
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

My first solo drive after passing my test was from my parents house near Birmingham back to my grandma near Harrow. At night. OK, I passed when I was 30 so a bit older but still interesting.

Anyhow it is usually easier to get a job if you are in one but I do see that quitting too quickly would not be helpful. I would reckon though that employers are wise to people leaving soon after joining for reasons like commute/travel/conditions so while they want to get new staff upto speed quickly there will be some sort of contingency.
Old 13-04-2018, 09:59   #5235
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Pot holes on our roads, huge deep bloody things and they seem to be everywhere and by the time they get fixed they're 12 inches wide and 5 inches deep! I never remember them being this bad.