Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sudden loss of speed (New Malden)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sudden loss of speed (New Malden)

Old 26-04-2021, 20:39   #1
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Sudden loss of speed (New Malden)

Anybody else on New Malden had a sudden loss of speed on their connection?

I'm now barely hitting 5Mbps.

Image from my samknows whitebox:

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

ok, I've switched to a different IP from my allocation and it's come back to full speed.

DDOS?
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2021, 21:26   #2
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Sudden loss of speed (New Malden)

And today.

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

lol

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

@spiderplant any thoughts on this? It started yesterday.
Old 28-04-2021, 14:35   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Network fault. Hopefully now fixed
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 21:23   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Also on New Malden - wasn't using it much over past couple of days so didn't notice issues. but certainly ok today:-
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 01:41   #5
fizzyade
cf.addict

Yeah, it's fixed, the order has been restored.

Many thanks for spiderplant (again!) for checking things out.

I only noticed because (slightly ironically) I was working on some changes to my project which measures network latency, and on my CI/CD server it was taking 3 minutes to check out the code.

Old 29-04-2021, 05:04   #6
fizzyade
cf.addict

And it's broken again.
Old 29-04-2021, 11:46   #7
fizzyade
cf.addict

I'm lucky if I can pull source from GitHub at more than a couple of hundred kilobytes a second.
Old 30-04-2021, 15:34   #8
fizzyade
cf.addict

Gonna go back to Mosaic browser seeing as my speeds are something from 1990. :d

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

And now the GRE tunnel has done down.
Old 01-05-2021, 14:19   #9
fizzyade
cf.addict

I'm guessing this is a bit of a problem.

Now I don't know whether this is specific to me or related to the issue that occurred last week (when this problem started) that was a low power fault that affected multiple customers which an engineer resolved by reseating a cable somewhere.
Old 01-05-2021, 14:51   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

That looks fine to me. Last week's fibre fault wouldn't cause low levels on your cable, and doesn't appear to have come back again. No more tickets raised since 27/04.

Are you still experiencing slow speeds?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 21:21   #11
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That looks fine to me. Last week's fibre fault wouldn't cause low levels on your cable, and doesn't appear to have come back again. No more tickets raised since 27/04.

Are you still experiencing slow speeds?
I haven't used the computer since this morning, but just ran some SamKnows RealSpeed tests and speedtest.net tests and it appears to be back to normal now. Single-threaded performance though is poor.

I haven't logged into my office machine (RDP over SSH tunnel), I'll try tomorrow to see if the laggyness has gone away if the speeds are still normal.