Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Lives Matter

Old 23-06-2020, 23:54   #736
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The picture isn't really about White and Black, it's about the notions of Light and Dark.
I've heard it said that the consideration of everything white/light as something positive and everything black/dark to be something seen as negative is an example of unconcious bias eg white lie, white witch v blackmail, unlucky black cat etc.

In fact, colour prejudice even extends to cats, black cats are notoriously harder to rehome according to animal shelters!

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Unfortunately, the sneering of people like Fiona Bruce, who seems to prefer cutting him and other Brexiteers off before they have uttered a complete sentence give the game away!

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

And where was the violence in the Floyd case, nomadking? It all came from the police, who compressed his neck for a full 9 minutes. There is no excuse for that, they could have simply handcuffed him. I trust you actually saw the video footage?

It wouldn’t have happened to a pinkskin.

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

You can interpret the Bible however you like. It’s a good weapon that preachers can use against us and it’s an excellent excuse for people doing bad deeds.

I would be more convinced if you had a photo...
After the incident where an American cop was filmed beating up a black man back in the 1990's, she said "I don't like them, but I think that they should be fair with them".

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

Quote:
Black is often associated with bad, evil, satanic, etc because that is the colour of the night. Nothing whatsoever to do with skin colour.
...and the night will have traditionally been seen as dangerous many years ago as that's when predators are about.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2020, 00:21   #737
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I've heard it said that the consideration of everything white/light as something positive and everything black/dark to be something seen as negative is an example of unconcious bias eg white lie, white witch v blackmail, unlucky black cat etc.

In fact, colour prejudice even extends to cats, black cats are notoriously harder to rehome according to animal shelters!

After the incident where an American cop was filmed beating up a black man back in the 1990's, she said "I don't like them, but I think that they should be fair with them".

...and the night will have traditionally been seen as dangerous many years ago as that's when predators are about.
Unconscious bias? What complete and utter nonsense the whole thing is.

The notion of Light=Good and Dark=Bad, has been around for thousands of years, and many parts of the world.
Quote:
Some scholars believe that key concepts of Zoroastrian eschatology and demonology influenced the Abrahamic religions. On the other hand, Zoroastrianism itself inherited ideas from other belief systems and, like other "practiced" religions, accommodates some degree of syncretism, with Zoroastrianism in Sogdia, the Kushan Empire, Armenia, China, and other places incorporating local and foreign practices and deities. Zoroastrian influences on Hungarian, Slavic, Ossetian, Turkic and Mongol mythologies have also been noted, all of which bearing extensive light-dark dualisms and possible sun god theonyms related to Hvare-khshaeta

The phrase "hell is utter darkness" is in Exodus of the Old Testament.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 00:25   #738
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Who exactly? Were polls taken? After every episode of Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, and pretty much every comedy show, are polls taken to make sure the audience understand that it is comedy?

No they are not, the quote from the LA times you posted is 1no. Persons opinion piece. It is not “a lot if people”. I don’t even know what you consider “a lot” to be? Ev3n the author of the post you quoted uses vague terms such as “some” people. Is their “some” equal to your “ a lot”

It’s tripe. And you should know better at your age.

So if I, for example, had an opinion as a white middle aged male, a considered and objective opinion on the matter. That did not fit with the BLM narrative. Then I could express that, no problem, I wouldn’t be attacked, I would be listened to, objectively, and if and were appropriate challenged in a non-violent and threatening way?

Bollocks Hugh and you know it.
Please accept my heartfelt condolences on your oppression, and the suffering and anguish you are having to go through - thoughts and prayers are with you...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 07:29   #739
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Please accept my heartfelt condolences on your oppression, and the suffering and anguish you are having to go through - thoughts and prayers are with you...
Don't worry you can be outraged on his behalf
Old 24-06-2020, 08:02   #740
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Around and around and around we go..and yet no real suggestions to address the situation.

As I see it it's not easy given that white people feel on the defensive but if we could get past that maybe we could come up with some equitable solutions that don't impact unfairly on any ethnic or racial grouping?
Old 24-06-2020, 08:50   #741
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Around and around and around we go..and yet no real suggestions to address the situation.

As I see it it's not easy given that white people feel on the defensive but if we could get past that maybe we could come up with some equitable solutions that don't impact unfairly on any ethnic or racial grouping?
Including the ethnically white population?
Old 24-06-2020, 08:53   #742
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Systemic problems require absolute expert knowledge to address and the advocacy movements have not been making any attempts to educate people. Take Trumps executive order of a police database: I've listened to hours and hours of stuff about the US Police and I didn't even know that was a problem.

And even if we had solutions we are not the "correct" people to offer them in this narrative.

Last edited by downquark1; 24-06-2020 at 10:47.
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 09:07   #743
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Correction of earlier post (it won't let me edit it):

Quote:

After the incident where an American cop was filmed beating up a black man back in the 1990's, an elderly lady once said to me"I don't like them, but I think that they should be fair with them".

RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 09:15   #744
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Correction of earlier post (it won't let me edit it):
You have two hours to edit a post once its posted Richard and after that it cannot be edited.
Old 24-06-2020, 09:47   #745
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Handcuffed doesn't mean you are immobile. You can still thrash around and/or spit on people. One of the 2 non-White officers was kneeling on his chest.
Link

Being handcuffed with your arms behind your back probably also doesn't help. Try it with your own arms behind your back(no need to get out the handcuffs)
If you actually watch the relevant section of the video, you will see that he was not resisting arrest when he was then pinned to the ground for a full 9 minutes. He did not struggle and he told the officers he could not breathe. He was in that position for 9 minutes, for God sake! We all saw it. We heard him pleading for his life, but they did not care. So why are you defending the police? Do you really think that was reasonable behaviour from professional police officers?

You cannot seriously expect to be able to divert attention by referring to the black policeman, who had been with the force for just a couple of weeks and therefore would have been doing as he was ordered to do.

The rest of the civilised world is appalled and disgusted by the behaviour of the police in this case and you should stop trying to defend the indefensible.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 10:08   #746
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
what are you on about? I've never said I'm oppressed, I've got white privilege after all.

But nice little trick there to just type anything you want to try belittle my post, because you haven't actually got any plausible answer to it.

Pah!
Old 24-06-2020, 10:29   #747
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Systemic problems require absolute expert knowledge to address and the advocacy movements have not been making any attempts to education people. Take Trumps executive order of a police database: I've listened to hours and hours of stuff about the US Police and I didn't even know that was a problem..
This is something people have said for a while in the States. That police who are fired can move elsewhere without a problem. Like you, I didn't know it was a problem though. It's much easier to see what the United States should do than what we should do. I am not sure if that's a problem with the movement here being too Americanised, that America's problems are so much more obvious or a combination of those.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 10:45   #748
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Including the ethnically white population?
Really? You took from what I said that I didn't include EVERYBODY including you? So do I have to specifically include you every time?Even though I have already included you..Though do you identify as white or blue these days?
Old 24-06-2020, 10:48   #749
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you actually watch the relevant section of the video, you will see that he was not resisting arrest when he was then pinned to the ground for a full 9 minutes. He did not struggle and he told the officers he could not breathe. He was in that position for 9 minutes, for God sake! We all saw it. We heard him pleading for his life, but they did not care. So why are you defending the police? Do you really think that was reasonable behaviour from professional police officers?

You cannot seriously expect to be able to divert attention by referring to the black policeman, who had been with the force for just a couple of weeks and therefore would have been doing as he was ordered to do.

The rest of the civilised world is appalled and disgusted by the behaviour of the police in this case and you should stop trying to defend the indefensible.
Spot on, Old Boy. Nail on the head!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 11:00   #750
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Really? You took from what I said that I didn't include EVERYBODY including you? So do I have to specifically include you every time?Even though I have already included you..Though do you identify as white or blue these days?
I'd go with olive.