Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Black Lives Matter

Old 18-06-2020, 23:17   #556
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’m officially bored of the BLM Issue, Lisa Nandy and the BBC, with the absolute laughable reaction and reporting Of what Dominic Raab said today about the “taking the knee” action.

I wish Aliens would invade, or Yellowstone erupt or something.

They’re failing to take the country with them.

If you're bored talking about racism, imagine how exhausted the people who are experiencing it must feel.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2020, 23:24   #557
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Reality and truth are strange concepts to some.

To suggest they don't exist is just delusional.

In the Real World.
List of Black Churches on "Operation Black Vote" Website.
Link

Link
As I referred to already, it says:
Quote:
What on earth are Black Majority Churches (BMCs)?
Not 'Black exclusive churches'.

Last edited by BenMcr; 18-06-2020 at 23:37.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 23:36   #558
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

White people stating they are bored of black lives matter is a curious one. As a white, heterosexual, Christian, male there’s a huge vast of equality based rights campaigns that I personally have no affinity to. Would I go out my way to say that lesbian rights bored me? I’d probably wish them well in principle and continue on with my day oblivious.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 23:42   #559
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes it says:

Not 'Black exclusive churches'.
And the other link which refers to "Black churches"?

Any examples of White exclusive churches?
Quote:
Andrew Rogers’ Being Built Together project found 240 black majority churches in Southwark, south London, the greatest concentration of African Christianity in the world outside of Africa it is believed.
Quote:
Dr Joe Aldred addresses the University of Birmingham
Introduction
I estimate that there may be as many as 500,000 committed Black Christians in the UK, and for better or for worse, I am one example, maybe even a shining example, of what the Black Church they have created in Britain produces.

How many White vicars working in Black [majority] churches? They wouldn't even bother applying.

There's even a Council of Black Led Churches.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 00:05   #560
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And the other link which refers to "Black churches"?
I see nothing in any of the links that still work to say they exclude anyone from any background.
Quote:
How many White vicars working in Black [majority] churches? They wouldn't even bother applying.
That doesn't mean that the churches would exclude them if they did, and I wouldn't agree if they did purely on the basis of race either.
Quote:
There's even a Council of Black Led Churches.
Again not an indication of exclusion, but a co-ordination of a minority element of society to increase their voice
https://birmingham.cylex-uk.co.uk/co...-19209942.html
Quote:
The idea for a Council of Black Led Churches came about after the riots in Birmingham in the 1980's. It began in 1988 as the Black Led Churches Liaison Committee, BLCLC. This was initiated to respond to the need for black churches to be more united and to be represented in places of influence. Its aims were to improve the education, health and employment opportunities for the black community.
Many other minorities in the UK will co-ordinate through similar umbrella groups to speak with 'one voice' on issues that affect them.

Last edited by BenMcr; 19-06-2020 at 00:11.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 03:22   #561
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
White people stating they are bored of black lives matter is a curious one. As a white, heterosexual, Christian, male there’s a huge vast of equality based rights campaigns that I personally have no affinity to. Would I go out my way to say that lesbian rights bored me? I’d probably wish them well in principle and continue on with my day oblivious.

Depends how often it's shoved down your throat.

An obviously intelligent chap like yourself must surely be aware that, when you're bombarded with the same information over and over again, it simply becomes a monotonous drone.
I've been hearing about racism all my life, it was around before I was born, and will be around when I've turned to dust.

That's the human species (and nature) for you I'm afraid, we're all still just Primates at the end of the day, with the 'unconscious' traits of tribalism and territoriality still there in our biological makeup.

Given another 50 years you might reduce it to a minimal acceptable level, but with the threats of Global Warming (another monotonous drone), ever increasing population, food/water shortages, and madmen with red buttons, it could all come back very quickly with loud bangs and mushroom clouds

. . . or of course a meteor strike, Yellowstone eruption, another Krakatoa etc
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:18   #562
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I see nothing in any of the links that still work to say they exclude anyone from any background.
That doesn't mean that the churches would exclude them if they did, and I wouldn't agree if they did purely on the basis of race either.
Again not an indication of exclusion, but a co-ordination of a minority element of society to increase their voice
https://birmingham.cylex-uk.co.uk/co...-19209942.html

Many other minorities in the UK will co-ordinate through similar umbrella groups to speak with 'one voice' on issues that affect them.
Some sense at last.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Depends how often it's shoved down your throat.

An obviously intelligent chap like yourself must surely be aware that, when you're bombarded with the same information over and over again, it simply becomes a monotonous drone.
I've been hearing about racism all my life, it was around before I was born, and will be around when I've turned to dust.

That's the human species (and nature) for you I'm afraid, we're all still just Primates at the end of the day, with the 'unconscious' traits of tribalism and territoriality still there in our biological makeup.

Given another 50 years you might reduce it to a minimal acceptable level, but with the threats of Global Warming (another monotonous drone), ever increasing population, food/water shortages, and madmen with red buttons, it could all come back very quickly with loud bangs and mushroom clouds

. . . or of course a meteor strike, Yellowstone eruption, another Krakatoa etc
So we needn't bother doing anything.Apathy should be our watchword.
Old 19-06-2020, 09:19   #563
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
England rugby fans could be banned from singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot at games over the song’s associations with slavery.

Fans can usually be heard bellowing out the song from the stands at Twickenham but it's now being examined after the Rugby Football Union launched a review into racism.

The review was started after Black Lives Matter supporters called for a review of Britain’s cultural past and its links to the slave trade.

Protests flared up following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis while he was in police custody.

The traditional song was written by a black slave in southern America during the 19th century
As for "The Camptown Ladies"
Old 19-06-2020, 09:21   #564
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
1) Unless the "poor" cars are that dilapidated, it's unlikely to make much of a difference. If they're that poor they won't have cars to be visible in the first place.
2) The enhanced job opportunities are unlikely to be in that area. Why shouldn't they want to move?
3) The 2nd/holiday home argument is a bit of nonsense. When have the "poor" ever been able to buy properties there? Why should being "poor" give them the automatic right to live there, buy up the properties and then sell them on for a profit, and you're back to square one. The wages and job opportunities are said to be that bad, that no matter what, they couldn't afford to buy a property.

4) If an identifiable group has a higher chance of finding something, then that is exactly the reason they SHOULD be stopped. Eg Several years ago at the Notting Hill Carnival, a group of police decided NOT to search somebody, another group of police weren't so fussy and searched them, finding a gun in the process. Little point stopping little old ladies on the street. Then again if little old ladies on the street were found to be involved in crime, then they too would be stopped.
1) I've lived in areas where the "poor" where the ones with multiple cars, satellite TV etc as they weren't paying for their accommodation. Those who did work were sometimes worse off.
2) First you don't need to live and work in the same area and also you could remain in your community and work to improve it, spend your money there.
3)In some areas people could afford properties on wages available in that area and property prices reflected the area. But that (and the fact it's often a pretty area) made properties of interest to people outside the area who could offer more. The 2nd/holiday home is of relevance if it removes properties from the local housing stock.
4)Yup and it becomes a vicious circle.
Old 19-06-2020, 09:23   #565
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
If you're bored talking about racism, imagine how exhausted the people who are experiencing it must feel.
I wouldn't know, i wouldn't be so woke as to suppose to speak for them.
Old 19-06-2020, 09:29   #566
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I've had people try to "out woke" me on things that happened to my own family.
Old 19-06-2020, 09:30   #567
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If you're 'bored' the thread mate, you shouldn't have started it ! Maybe it isn't going the way you hoped ? See you managed to get the 'woke' word in though, so that must make you feel better
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:39   #568
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
"so woke as to suppose to speak for them"?

Well done, you have won the Brendan O'Neill award for "straw man argument of the day for stating others are doing something they are not as a defence for what you previously posted"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 11:25   #569
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
"so woke as to suppose to speak for them"?

Well done, you have won the Brendan O'Neill award for "straw man argument of the day for stating others are doing something they are not as a defence for what you previously posted"...
So what's your stupid excuse for asking him to do exactly that?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 12:11   #570
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If you're 'bored' the thread mate, you shouldn't have started it ! Maybe it isn't going the way you hoped ? See you managed to get the 'woke' word in though, so that must make you feel better
Thanks for your participation.

I was bored of The Walking Dead, but still continued to watch it for several seasons in the hope that something new and interesting might happen.

Same thing here.