Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2020, 13:51   #4186
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Coronavirus

PUB!
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2020, 14:01   #4187
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Boat
Old 23-06-2020, 14:41   #4188
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
In a major update today, Boris announced:

He was slashing the 2m rule down to '1m plus'
Staycations from July 4 got the green light as hotels and bed and breakfasts were told they could reopen
Pubs will also reopen from July 4 - but only one household can go inside with another and new measures will be in place
After three long months Brits will finally be able to get a haircut
But nail salons, gyms and nightclubs will remain closed for now
People will be allowed to see one other household inside - but they must still keep their distance
And sleepovers are finally allowed from July 4
Full list of all businesses allowed to reopen

He told the House of Commons: "Slowly but surely, these measures will restore a sense of normality.

"After the toughest restrictions in peacetime history, we are now able to make life easier for people to see more of their friends and families.

"And to help businesses get back on their feet and get people back into work."
Old 23-06-2020, 15:19   #4189
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The Daily Mail is making a different point. Right at the start of this, the government explained that the intention was to slow down the virus so as not to overwhelm the NHS. Do you really not recall that?

If you want a link to verify that was the intention, here it is, but you could have looked it up yourself rather than continually trying to discredit me.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ut-it-11962901
14th April
Quote:
We will not avoid deaths by the measures being taken. We can only delay them.

If you think the economy isn't important in determining when the restrictions are relaxed, I don't think the majority would agree with you.
24th April
Quote:
I would point out that NZ is relatively sparsely populated.

Having said that, I await the second wave. Have you looked at Japan?

As I have said consistently, you can delay, but you cannot prevent.

You can quote me on that
29th April
Quote:
No, you don't. You just delay these deaths. As soon as the lockdown is lifted, the infection rates will increase again. They have already seen that in Germany.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

Accepted.

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Your first sentence I do not dispute. What you are ignoring is my main point here, which is that you cannot sustain a lockdown until the end of the summer, let alone the end of the year, which is the earliest possible time that a vaccine will become available.

Last weekend was evidence that a growing number of people are ignoring the rules. It was very noticeable that there were quite a lot more cars on the road as well.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 23-06-2020, 15:24   #4190
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

This is a genuine divide in the expert community, some say there should been a greater effort to stand out the virus entirely. Others are completely convinced that it cannot be stamped out and will just re-emerge over and over again until herd immunity is reached (naturally or via vaccine).

I understand this is a well known phenomena in epidemic history, I cannot cite the evidence myself.
Old 23-06-2020, 15:29   #4191
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
14th April

24th April

29th April

My opinion of the above posts is that whilst they been consistent in opinion, they have been equally consistent in lacking supporting evidence.
Old 23-06-2020, 15:34   #4192
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
My opinion of the above posts is that whilst they been consistent in opinion, they have been equally consistent in lacking supporting evidence.
Especially when people avoid looking for it.
Old 23-06-2020, 17:40   #4193
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
14th April

24th April

29th April

Your point being?

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I’m sure you could find links supporting the views I have expressed if you looked.
Old 23-06-2020, 17:49   #4194
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
PUB!
Haircut! too! Mind you, might go down the local Spoons before getting my hair cut as I am starting to rock a Tim Martin hairstyle right now. Might get a staff discount...

That first beer is gonna be goooood...
Old 23-06-2020, 19:15   #4195
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
2%=130,000 deaths, the health service overwhelmed, and others with life threatening illnesses not getting treatment.

If we had locked down earlier half of the deaths we had could have been avoided, and we wouldn't have had the most deaths in Europe. Our Govt was sleeping at the beginning to of this, hence Boris proudly shaking Coronavirus patients hands. Guess what happened next?
Thank you for the totaly pointless reply.
None of that has anything to do with the point in question (demise of future generations).

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 23-06-2020, 19:24   #4196
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Your point being?

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

I’m sure you could find links supporting the views I have expressed if you looked.
Couldn’t find any, except from Karol Sikora, who’s an oncologist, not an epidemiologist or a virologist; he also said in early April
Quote:
I believe starting in early May we can begin to return to some normality.
Old 23-06-2020, 19:57   #4197
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Rumours of a second wave are circulating amongst the "South Asian High Risk Group". Either that or over a dozen 5kg bags of rice and maybe more in pasta in each of 3 trolleys going through the tills at Tesco was an aberration. Just one couple.

Toilet roll stocks stripped from ALDI too by the same couple half an hour before.
Old 23-06-2020, 20:22   #4198
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

So that will be the last Coronavirus Government update tonite?
Old 23-06-2020, 20:51   #4199
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Rumours of a second wave are circulating amongst the "South Asian High Risk Group". Either that or over a dozen 5kg bags of rice and maybe more in pasta in each of 3 trolleys going through the tills at Tesco was an aberration. Just one couple.

Toilet roll stocks stripped from ALDI too by the same couple half an hour before.
As I posted yesterday

Quote:
Just had a chat with my bro-in-law, who is a research SVP for a large* biosimilars company in the USA - they are, and I quote

Quote:
currently preparing a clinical trial at Johns Hopkins and UPenn to kick in the autumn when we expect a resurgence in the northeast
No matter what Governments are saying, he says most of the Pharma and biosimilar companies are expecting the 2nd wave September/October, and are planning for that - it’s not just following the science, it’s following the money behind the science.

The company he works for has already started human testing of an experimental Covid-19 antibody cocktail designed as a treatment for the disease, and they should know within a month whether the treatment is effective.

*market cap of $70 billion
Old 23-06-2020, 21:03   #4200
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Couldn’t find any, except from Karol Sikora, who’s an oncologist, not an epidemiologist or a virologist; he also said in early April
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...avirus-vaccine

[EXTRACT]

The virus will still be tough to conquer with a vaccine that lasts for years.

“It will be harder to get rid of Covid than smallpox,” says Brilliant. With smallpox it was at least clear who was infected, whereas people with coronavirus can spread it without knowing. A thornier problem is that as long as the infection rages in one country, all other nations are at risk.

As David Salisbury, the former director of immunisation at the Department of Health, told a Chatham House webinar recently: “Unless we have a vaccine available in unbelievable quantities that could be administered extraordinarily quickly in all communities in the world we will have gaps in our defences that the virus can continue to circulate in.”

Not looking good, is it, Hugh? As I said, this virus is not going anywhere soon.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Quote:
As I posted yesterday
And we'll believe it when we see it.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 23-06-2020 at 21:02.
Closed Thread