Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 29-04-2020, 22:19   #2821
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, since the first 40 comments I read actively disagreed with him, with good reasoned comments (cherry picking data, ignoring actions that affect outcomes, plucking figures from thin air), it seems it’s a bit more than "there are comments that give it a bit of a roasting" - that’s like saying the inhabitants of Hiroshima got a bit of sunburn...

Also, hard to take credibly when ha has this under the video
Fair enough, I only gave it the time of day because it was posted by someone I respect on a professional social media platform, you can guess which.

Happy for you to exercise you mod powers and remove it if you wish.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Just watched Panorama. The Tories have blood on their hands.
https://order-order.com/2020/04/29/h...-participants/
Old 30-04-2020, 00:01   #2822
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I disagree - I believe the majority will understand.
They will understand for a while, but that goodwill will start to wear out as time goes on.

People I speak to locally, and at work, are starting to wonder whats going on.
We are told the incubation is 7 - 14 days, but we have been in lockdown well over twice that, and no one [we know] is infected.
We dont actually know of any cases [at all] between us.

I can imagine anyone queued outside a shop in the rain today is not going to be as happy about it as in the sunshine last week.

We have been quite fortunate really that almost the entire lockdown so far has been in [unusually] good weather.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 30-04-2020, 04:23   #2823
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

BBC article for those who like to keep comparing countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52311014

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 30-04-2020, 08:13   #2824
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
They will understand for a while, but that goodwill will start to wear out as time goes on.
In which case they'll just have to put their big-boy pants on and realise they'll have no choice but comply.

Quote:
People I speak to locally, and at work, are starting to wonder whats going on.
We are told the incubation is 7 - 14 days, but we have been in lockdown well over twice that, and no one [we know] is infected.
We dont actually know of any cases [at all] between us.
So...you're saying the self-isolation seems to be working? Who'da thunk it?

Quote:
I can imagine anyone queued outside a shop in the rain today is not going to be as happy about it as in the sunshine last week.
Then maybe they could use something like an umbrella. I'm sure a little rain never hurt anyone. I hate using the word "snowflakes" but....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 30-04-2020, 09:03   #2825
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The rain will keep the numpties at home..Then hopefully the curve will flatten quicker.
Old 30-04-2020, 09:56   #2826
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Only read headline but was mentioning that though thousands have looked at or expressed interest in fruit/veg picking (tens of thousands of positions) only hundred or so have actually turned up.

Is this fear of mixing, unable to travel, or other reasonable reason or just that people don't want to do the job? Do the government need to be maybe firmer with those whose salaries they are picking up? My wife said she did the job one season while a student, lots of those not at college at the moment.
Old 30-04-2020, 10:01   #2827
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
There will be multiple dependant on the R0 number. my own personal pure guess? three to four over the next six to twelve months.

Anyone thinking that there would be just one lockdown is just plain delusional.

Martial law may well be whats coming

Also, as you haven't argued against the maths, Can we assume that you now understand that over a given period of time that lockdowns do in fact save some lives?
No. They just slow things down. Only two things will stop this virus. A vaccine or herd immunity.

What worries me is that the longer this virus is out there, the more of a risk that it will mutate, which means we start all over again.

The lockdown is an understandable and yet panic reaction to this virus which may turn out to be recognised as a huge mistake when we look back on it.
Old 30-04-2020, 10:12   #2828
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No. They just slow things down. Only two things will stop this virus. A vaccine or herd immunity.
You can forget about herd immunity as the government went down that road to start with in March and quickly dropped it.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:
The lockdown is an understandable and yet panic reaction to this virus which may turn out to be recognised as a huge mistake when we look back on it.
Not sure where you get your thinking for that OB as it was the best option on the table unless you wanted the NHS and all the important relevant services to be completely overrun.

The government has to review the lockdown measures by next Thursday and the word is its unlikely to ease it much.
Old 30-04-2020, 10:21   #2829
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Only read headline but was mentioning that though thousands have looked at or expressed interest in fruit/veg picking (tens of thousands of positions) only hundred or so have actually turned up.

Is this fear of mixing, unable to travel, or other reasonable reason or just that people don't want to do the job? Do the government need to be maybe firmer with those whose salaries they are picking up?
Probably need to up the salary, it's not an appealing job.
Old 30-04-2020, 10:25   #2830
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Is this fear of mixing, unable to travel, or other reasonable reason or just that people don't want to do the job? Do the government need to be maybe firmer with those whose salaries they are picking up? My wife said she did the job one season while a student, lots of those not at college at the moment.
The government is paying 80% of my salary, I don't want to work ing a field picking fruit & veg, it has nothing to do with me being an office bod. It's the fact I live at home and I'm currently looking after may dad who is 76, so have no intentions of risking him.

My HR manager calls every Wednesday to see how my mum is doing (in the Nursing home),

I did have a shock when I got my pay slip it was over half of what I should have been getting, but he said sorry he made a mistake (I had taked 2 day unpaid when I took my mum to A&E and 2 SSP while in self-isolation before being furloughed).

When corrected I was within £5 of what I guessed I should have got.

I've only left my home to go to Sainsbury's to shop when bread or milk run short, luckily my Sainsbury's has a Lloyds pharmacy who look after our meds and I now phone when the next prescription is due.

I stand outside my mums nurising home window and talk to her, yes we speak daily on the phone, but she NEEDS to physically see us at least once a week. (Back in 2015 she was in a hospital which was a 4 to 5 hour round trip, and I struggked to see her twice a week, her mental suffered as a result, that will NEVER happen again)

Last edited by Hom3r; 30-04-2020 at 10:29.
Old 30-04-2020, 11:05   #2831
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You can forget about herd immunity as the government went down that road to start with in March and quickly dropped it.
In public, yes...

Old Boy is right in that herd immunity is the only way to effectively stop this, either by getting the disease or immunisation while still running a functioning society. You could prevent cases and let the disease 'die out' by the strictest of strict isolation but that simply isn't possible without a sanitorium/leper colony type setup.

It's a tough one, balancing out the disease rate, vs. the impact of economic inactivity..

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

In other news, had my first COVID vaccine call today. Exciting times!
Old 30-04-2020, 11:09   #2832
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:

What worries me is that the longer this virus is out there, the more of a risk that it will mutate, which means we start all over again.

To take your points in order.

1) Again, There is NO guarantee whatsoever that herd immunity will work. Nor is there a guarantee that a vaccine will work. What you have failed to understand yet again is that the lockdowns are designed to limit the pressure on services and to limit the deaths sustained over a period of time. I'll leave the maths here, there's really no point trying to keep explaining it. Most others seem to understand.

2) The virus has already mutated. Chinese scientists identified 33 strains of it. Link to this is here

3) This isn't the last lockdown, My guess is we're in for quite a few over the next twelve months. Until such time as an effective vaccine or if we can prove that herd immunity will work then life as we know will considerably change people will simply just have to accept it and get used to it or face the criminal/medical consequences.

If neither herd or vaccine are achievable, then all bets are off & EVEN IF one of those two methods prove successful then life as we know it will change irretrievably in many aspects.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
In public, yes...

Old Boy is right in that herd immunity is the only way to effectively stop this, either by getting the disease or immunisation while still running a functioning society. You could prevent cases and let the disease 'die out' by the strictest of strict isolation but that simply isn't possible without a sanitorium/leper colony type setup.

It's a tough one, balancing out the disease rate, vs. the impact of economic inactivity..

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

In other news, had my first COVID vaccine call today. Exciting times!
Great, just point us to the evidence that herd immunity works for this virus?

Congrats on the vaccine call !
Old 30-04-2020, 12:12   #2833
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You can forget about herd immunity as the government went down that road to start with in March and quickly dropped it..
So they said, but there was a an exChief Medical Officer on BBC this morning that implied that they are still progressing the Herd Immunity concept but over a longer period, amd he advised the BBC presenter that they should question the government on this.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Quote:

If I had to, I would do it.

I did it when I was teenager, picking Strawberries on the outskirts of Liverpool in the mid-80's. Great when it's sunny, not so much when it isn't.
Old 30-04-2020, 12:22   #2834
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Could you clarify that, please?

What numbers of deaths, and for what length of time, do you believe are delayed?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 30-04-2020, 12:25   #2835
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
To take your points in order.

1) Again, There is NO guarantee whatsoever that herd immunity will work. Nor is there a guarantee that a vaccine will work. What you have failed to understand yet again is that the lockdowns are designed to limit the pressure on services and to limit the deaths sustained over a period of time. I'll leave the maths here, there's really no point trying to keep explaining it. Most others seem to understand.
If we do develop immunity once we have contracted the virius then Herd Immunity will work. There is very little in the way of reporting that says that once an otherwise healthy person has caught and beaten the virus that you can catch it again.

So based on that, you would summise that there is some immunity, we'll have to wait to an see. but it's the best option we have at the moment.

It is also possible that the Virus will mutate into a less damaging one for humans. A Virius that kills its host isn't doing its job properly.

Quote:

2) The virus has already mutated. Chinese scientists identified 33 strains of it. Link to this is here
As above, some worse than others, and it's quite possible that people will get some immunity to these other strains or that the strains may be milder.

It's all still a waiting game

Quote:
3) This isn't the last lockdown, My guess is we're in for quite a few over the next twelve months. Until such time as an effective vaccine or if we can prove that herd immunity will work then life as we know will considerably change people will simply just have to accept it and get used to it or face the criminal/medical consequences.
As I've said before this isn't really a "lockdown". I'm not lockeddown. The only impacts this is currently having to my life is that the Kids are at home, and I can't go the pub.