Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 04-07-2019, 20:38   #1096
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The V6 will downscale UHD if necessary.

Try connecting the amp to the 'ARC' HDMI socket on the TV, instead of going V6->amp->TV.
Alternatively, connect the amp by optical instead of HDMI.
Thanks for the info.I did not think it would downscale.Will try your idea tomorrow.Many thanks to everyone for your help.
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2019, 17:18   #1097
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The V6 will downscale UHD if necessary.

Try connecting the amp to the 'ARC' HDMI socket on the TV, instead of going V6->amp->TV.
Alternatively, connect the amp by optical instead of HDMI.
Thanks, spiderplant, that worked and saved me some money.
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:06   #1098
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublue View Post
Thanks for the info.I did not think it would downscale.Will try your idea tomorrow.Many thanks to everyone for your help.
Certainly does downscale UHD to HD - been watching BT Premier League via this method as it seems to give a better PQ.

2 downsides, the amount of disc space required for the UHD recording and you cannot watch a UHD recording over wifi connection from your 2nd v6 box.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:39   #1099
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublue View Post
Thanks, Ben for your reply.

My AV doesn't support it.If I connect directly from the TV to the V6 it does say 2160, whether I'm watching SD/HD,is that because of the upscaling?

But surely,when connected via my AV,I should not be able to view any UHD content,but I can.BT UHD does/seem to look very good to me.If you say that you can watch UHD but it some how descales down to 1080,then I will have to get a new amp.This is so confusing!

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Yes, it is, as it works if I connect straight from the V6 to the TV.
Your Amp is not 4k compatible then. I have the same issue. When I do get a 4k TV I will also need to invest in a new Amp.
Old 07-07-2019, 13:22   #1100
ultraplex
cf.member

ultraplex is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted earlier in this thread as not getting the UHD option on the V6 iPlayer Wimbledon Centre Court. I solved this with your help by enabling Deep Colour on the TV HDMI port. However, comparing this option with using the iPlayer app directly on my LG OLED TV I've discovered that whilst UHD is working on the V6 iPlayer, HLG HDR isn't. Any ideas, please?
ultraplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:31   #1101
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Virgin and Sky don't broadcast HDR yet.
Old 07-07-2019, 13:38   #1102
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Virgin and Sky don't broadcast HDR yet.
French Open tennis and (I believe) Champions League Final were broadcast with HDR. And the various iPlayer UHD events were either all or mostly with HDR HLG as I understand it. A quick web search brings up many articles.

Unless you were specifically meaning a channel there 365/6 days a year.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:40   #1103
ultraplex
cf.member

I appreciate that but Virgin did state that UHD & HDR (HLG) was available on their iPlayer app for Wimbledon Centre Court.
Old 07-07-2019, 13:44   #1104
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
French Open tennis and (I believe) Champions League Final were broadcast with HDR. And the various iPlayer UHD events were either all or mostly with HDR HLG as I understand it. A quick web search brings up many articles.

Unless you were specifically meaning a channel there 365/6 days a year.
Indeed I was referring to broadcast channels.
Old 07-07-2019, 14:05   #1105
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It definatly works on the V6 as the tv is displaying that the signal is HLG.

But a couple of times I have had to exit and restart it to switch to HLG - maybe depending on demand at the BBC's servers.

Does Netflix go HDR on your V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraplex View Post
I appreciate that but Virgin did state that UHD & HDR (HLG) was available on their iPlayer app for Wimbledon Centre Court.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 14:08   #1106
ultraplex
cf.member

I've tried exit and restart but to no avail. Yes, HDR does work on Netflix, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's not working.
Old 07-07-2019, 14:17   #1107
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It may be you tv is not compatible with the HLG service - or still needs a further menu change.

Or it could be simply the HLG does not work on your TV via HDMI.

There is a test stream in the Beta area on iPlayer to check HLG.

One setting gives UHD Planet Earth without HLG - the other is FA Cup football in UHD with HLG.

Quote:
I've tried exit and restart but to no avail. Yes, HDR does work on Netflix, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's not working.
Old 07-07-2019, 15:08   #1108
ultraplex
cf.member

My mistake, the Netflix app on the V6 - HDR is not working. Just about to try the UHD loop on iPlayer.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

The UHD loop won't work, it come up with an error message.
Old 07-07-2019, 15:16   #1109
ozsat
cf.mega poster

What make/model is the tv? And which HDMI port are you using?

Seems some Samsungs only do HDR via limited HDMI inputs - not all of them.

Quote:
My mistake, the Netflix app on the V6 - HDR is not working. Just about to try the UHD loop on iPlayer.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

The UHD loop won't work, it come up with an error message.

Last edited by ozsat; 07-07-2019 at 15:23.
Old 07-07-2019, 16:10   #1110
ultraplex
cf.member

It's an LG OLED55E6V and the V6 is plugged into HDMI2.