Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 02-06-2018, 08:04   #481
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't understand the obsession of wanting to record everything, especially with the world cup.

If you miss a game, there is no way to escape the results, they are going to be everywhere instantly.

Not an obsession - just a matter of time switching.

The games are on throughout the afternoon - some people have to work!
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2018, 10:12   #482
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Not an obsession - just a matter of time switching.

The games are on throughout the afternoon - some people have to work!
They are, but getting away from the results is going to be difficult these days.

That's why I don't record any live football games. I can get away recording the f1, but with the football I know I'll accidentally see it somewhere lol
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:44   #483
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
They are, but getting away from the results is going to be difficult these days.

That's why I don't record any live football games. I can get away recording the f1, but with the football I know I'll accidentally see it somewhere lol
Well England played early yesterday evening, started watching the recording this morning 10.30am - absolutely no knowledge of the score whatsoever.

I would like to watch things live but work and other commitments make this impossible, so recording is next best thing.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 22:02   #484
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of the tivo/V6 box video output settings mystery?

Why do the boxes love 720p so much, if you tick every output and go into the supposed native mode 720p comes through, when surely for HD here in the UK it should switch to 1080i, and for the tennis on Eurosport4K it should switch to the 4K resolution.

Surely someone out there knows exactly how it works and what it's doing.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Thinking about it, makes me wonder if Virgin are scaling the 1080i and maybe even the 4k to 720p at their end. Hence when you tick all the outputs you are presented with 720p. How crap would that be if the case.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 23:38   #485
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Isn't 720p better than 1080i? Or much the same in pq?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:05   #486
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Progressive is better than interlaced but picture quality wise 1080i is better as it is 1920 x 1080 were 720p is 1280 x 720.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:11   #487
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

All my Google searches say 720p is better than 1080i and i agree.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:37   #488
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
All my Google searches say 720p is better than 1080i and i agree.
For motion but picture quality wise then it's clearly 1080i. Broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i anyway so it's so it's a moot point arguing for progressive when it's all interlaced anyway.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 21:17   #489
marlman
cf.member

marlman is on a distinguished roadmarlman is on a distinguished road

My V6 box has got the new firmware update and the BBC iPlayer app has now got the UHD HLG demo loop.

Looks impressive!
marlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 21:23   #490
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

It's seriously hard to work out the way the virgin boxes work video output wise.

I've read elsewhere that there could be a bug and the ticking of all outputs(supposedly native mode) isn't working properly. So I guess the idea is even if it says it's '720p' it really still is '1080i' for HD as it should be.

I don't think it's the case though, my Sony TV only does full pixel mode when either a 1080i or 1080p source is inputted. 4K is full pixel regardless. When all outputs are ticked(native mode) full pixel mode isn't available.

Bottom line best option is probably only tick 1080i and 1080p/2160p passthrough, native mode is ******.

I know this has been done to death on here and on the virgin media forum but every now and again it bugs me. They still can't sort it.

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlman View Post
My V6 box has got the new firmware update and the BBC iPlayer app has now got the UHD HLG demo loop.

Looks impressive!
Damn, when?

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Is this the update that adds the blue button to change over to an HD channel when you've turned onto an SD one?

If so I got this a day or two ago and haven't tried the iplayer since, I forgot. I maybe better go try.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 22:41   #491
marlman
cf.member

marlman is on a distinguished roadmarlman is on a distinguished road

Yes if you want to check if you have the new firmware select an SD channel like 101 and press the blue button.

It will go to the HD channel 108
marlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 22:50   #492
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Update hasn't hit mine yet.
I'm in Berkshire, what about yours OB?
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 23:06   #493
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Yes, I have it. The way I found it was to go to the BBC i-Player in Apps and Games, go to 'settings' then 'Try new features in iPlayer BETA, then go down to 'Play Ultra HD Trial'. There are two short videos in there. Lovely pictures on my screen. Worth taking a look.

Can't wait to see full length programmes other than sport starting to appear in some quantity on the Beeb - hopefully not long now.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:03   #494
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes l have it as well this morning on ours.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:14   #495
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

I got the blue button HD channel update yesterday
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote