Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 01-06-2018, 09:43   #466
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Regarding World Cup in UHD

You'll need a compatible 4K TV. The full list of compatible 4K iPlayer TVs is here, and it includes 2016, 2017 and 2018 LG TVs, 2017 and 2018 Samsung TVs, plus TVs from Loewe, Panasonic, Philips and more.

There are some notable absentees, including Samsung's 2016 TVs, which though they do support HLG, don't support DVB-DASH, the technology standard behind the BBC's adaptive streaming. Similarly Sony's 2017 A1 OLED isn't on the list.

If you have a 4K TV that isn't on the list, you do have the option of the Virgin TV V6 box. Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be support for live 4K iPlayer broadcasts on Sky Q, even though the Sky Q platform does appear on the list of supported devices for on demand (rather than live) Ultra HD iPlayer content. We're looking to clarify that with the BBC.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/4k-b...tra-hd-iplayer
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2018, 10:06   #467
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

The V6 box is pending though.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:29   #468
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
The V6 box is pending though.
Yes - says TBC on the devices list - I'm not sure why the article didn't mention this.
Old 01-06-2018, 16:26   #469
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

tens of thousands... this isnt going to go well, especially if the v6 is added.

I used to be quite pro the bbc but with the world cup being set for long time, they really should and could have got this sorted a long time back.

i suppose the cuts are all part of this....

edit: what virgin should do is to offer the bbc their bandwith for virgin customers so we can all access it and it frees up more slots for non virgin users. if the v6 is on the list, its going to hit the cap instantly. dunno if virgin could host a live stream or just give the bbc a bucket of extra bandwidth to use.

Last edited by awesometeeth; 01-06-2018 at 16:50.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:04   #470
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post

I used to be quite pro the bbc but with the world cup being set for long time, they really should and could have got this sorted a long time back.

edit: what virgin should do is to offer the bbc their bandwith for virgin customers so we can all access it and it frees up more slots for non virgin users. if the v6 is on the list, its going to hit the cap instantly. dunno if virgin could host a live stream or just give the bbc a bucket of extra bandwidth to use.
Well they're offering more than ITV. If people want more from the BBC, they are going to have to pay a bigger licence fee, which compared to a VM subscription is great value.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:06   #471
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

I can see many people getting frustrated when they cannot access the stream. I think I will just pretend its not available and enjoy the world cup.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:08   #472
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I can see many people getting frustrated when they cannot access the stream. I think I will just pretend its not available and enjoy the world cup.
You're not supporting England then
Old 01-06-2018, 17:10   #473
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You're not supporting England then
I support England all the way until the inevitable happens.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:20   #474
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

They have Hitatchi but not Hisense???
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:25   #475
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I support England all the way until the inevitable happens.
Don't forget about the tissues..
Old 01-06-2018, 17:43   #476
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Don't forget about the tissues..
Wrong channel Den
Old 01-06-2018, 18:01   #477
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

Someone else has suggested the BBC offer VM an exclusive "Red Button" stream that could use the TV bandwidth rather than the app. Trouble is it is bound to rub someone up the wrong way. I can see the headlines now:

BBC gives preferential treatment to paying Virgin customers over all their other licence fee payers.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 18:32   #478
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Someone else has suggested the BBC offer VM an exclusive "Red Button" stream that could use the TV bandwidth rather than the app. Trouble is it is bound to rub someone up the wrong way. I can see the headlines now:

BBC gives preferential treatment to paying Virgin customers over all their other licence fee payers.
yeah I would normally agree as I know it was a pain when oddly the v6 didnt get the planet earth stuff but sky did etc.

but in this case it would be a win win and it mean they get more chance of seeing a stream.

but to be honest, this has gained quite a lot of attention and with only tens of thousands of streams, I think its going to end up being a potential massive own goal (very apt pun!)....

Im genuinely amazed at how stupid the bbc has been about this considering the fixed dates etc.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 21:01   #479
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
yeah I would normally agree as I know it was a pain when oddly the v6 didnt get the planet earth stuff but sky did etc.

but in this case it would be a win win and it mean they get more chance of seeing a stream.

but to be honest, this has gained quite a lot of attention and with only tens of thousands of streams, I think its going to end up being a potential massive own goal (very apt pun!)....

Im genuinely amazed at how stupid the bbc has been about this considering the fixed dates etc.

Quite agree they have had a long time to get the testing done in preparation for providing a service (which is what we pay for).

The ide of providing the stream for virgin BB users is a good one (leaving the limited availability for others) - could even use channel 100 for it so we could record if required.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 22:30   #480
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Quite agree they have had a long time to get the testing done in preparation for providing a service (which is what we pay for).

The ide of providing the stream for virgin BB users is a good one (leaving the limited availability for others) - could even use channel 100 for it so we could record if required.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't understand the obsession of wanting to record everything, especially with the world cup.

If you miss a game, there is no way to escape the results, they are going to be everywhere instantly.