Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntlworld.com Webmail Login Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't send Email from alternate account ?

Old 13-07-2014, 19:33   #1
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Can't send Email from alternate account ? SOLVED

Fails to send with the error 'rejected you as the sender'

Server Response: 530 Authentication Required (vm401)

Error Number: 0x800ccc78

No passwords changed, no setting changed (unless VM have done something in the background) so what gives guys ?

I have 4 email addresses and this is the only one causing a problem
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2014, 20:02   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Can't send Email from alternate account ?

Is this an ntlworld or virginmedia address? and what mail client are you using?

I had a headache setting up the latter recently and found the smtp settings to be a bit weird, and guesswork. If I had to do that again it will be a stab in the dark.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 20:13   #3
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Hi Rob

It's a virginmedia address and using outlook on the wifes laptop. I've tried altering the port numbers etc but no change to the error - I even double checked the outgoing address was correct . . . it's going to a Hotmail account if that makes a difference ?

it was working ok, now it's not, very weird (and the wife is no help at all when I question her lol )
Old 13-07-2014, 20:21   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If I recall correctly in Outlook 2010, unlike with the ntlworld account, I had to find the advanced settings for the virginmedia setup and make sure I was setting the ports - 993 for IMAP incoming, 465 for SMTP out to smtp.virginmedia.com, and that the outgoing server did need authentication.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 20:32   #5
Carth
cf.mega poster

Using the old POP3 for incoming (which has always worked fine)

Outgoing SMTP is (was) the problem, and unbelievably I just checked yet again and the box wasn't ticked for 'outgoing authentication'

No idea how on earth I missed that during my checks but after ticking the box the Emails are now being sent.

many thanks Rob
Old 13-07-2014, 20:54   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

A few years ago I had issues sending emails from my Globalnet account via NTL. But it was solved by the ISP.