Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2008, 09:13   #6706
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Guys

Something is playing on my mind. look at this quote

Quote:
"We can track someone looking for a luxury car, not just a car - someone searching not just for travel but travel to the south of France or Las Vegas," is how NebuAd CEO Bob Dykes described the service in a recent interview with The Reg.
Is this not the the thing spouted by Kent by phorm. Maybe i have read to much and have a false memory.
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2008, 10:45   #6707
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Excuse me if this has already been posted: http://www.antiphorm.com/page_software.htm

"AntiPhormLite is a unique application that intelligently self surfs the internet and generates natural surfing information to confuse anyone who is spying or tracking your internet activity"
Old 16-05-2008, 10:46   #6708
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I've finally had a reply from my bank regarding the new banking code, and I expressed my concerns over Phorm and it's possible impact on online banking activity with them.

They have stated that providing that I've not given my security details to anyone, and I've used reasonable care that they guarantee they will refund any loss from an account.

This paragraph did cause me a little concern though

Quote:
With regards to the use of Webwise by Internet Service Providers, I am unable to discuss or investigate the use of this system with you. Please may I advise that you contact your Internet Service Provider directly
I find this a little unsettling, why can't they discuss it with me? If someone was cleaned out as a result of hackers exploiting the Phorm system, would the banks use this as a get out clause to refund peoples loss?

I'm not happy with this reply, and I'm going to write back. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:06   #6709
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
Excuse me if this has already been posted: http://www.antiphorm.com

"AntiPhormLite is a unique application that intelligently self surfs the internet and generates natural surfing information to confuse anyone who is spying or tracking your internet activity"
Be wary of that site. Whilst it may have good intention it looks suspicious as does the way it was announced over at badphorm:

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugi...pic.php?5687.0
Old 16-05-2008, 11:47   #6710
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Letter to legal team at BT now completed. If you want to see a copy, then PM me for a url to a pdf copy.

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
I've finally had a reply from my bank regarding the new banking code, and I expressed my concerns over Phorm and it's possible impact on online banking activity with them.

They have stated that providing that I've not given my security details to anyone, and I've used reasonable care that they guarantee they will refund any loss from an account.

I find this a little unsettling, why can't they discuss it with me? If someone was cleaned out as a result of hackers exploiting the Phorm system, would the banks use this as a get out clause to refund peoples loss?

I'm not happy with this reply, and I'm going to write back. I'll keep you all posted.
Ask your bank if they have any commercial link to OIX.net. And press them a bit harder with a specific question asking who is legally liable if your use of Webwise exposes you to bank fraud. Phorm, your ISP, the bank or you? PUSH!
Old 16-05-2008, 12:12   #6711
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
Please, this is a very very bad idea.

The *only* situation in which this is ever justified is the point where you have no alternative.

Here is a simpler, more effective solution, with no legality problems.

Switch to a Phorm Free ISP.

Don't hack the ISP. Don't hack Phorm.
Don't ruin the network for other users.
Don't abuse innocent web sites.

Choose freedom.

Easy Instructions here.

Pete
Old 16-05-2008, 12:12   #6712
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Kent's rather dismissive and patronising claim that users were not technically savvy enough to switch on anti phishing in internet explorer has been addressed in MS roll out of XP SP3.

After the installation of the SP, IE7 has a fully functioning and by default switched on anti phishing.

There are two sides to an argument and if according to Kent the masses are too thick to turn on anti-phishing they by default will be too thick to turn it off.

By the time Phorm is ready for roll out, the only half way redeeming feature will have long since been made redundant by Microsoft.
Old 16-05-2008, 12:43   #6713
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post

By the time Phorm is ready for roll out, the only half way redeeming feature will have long since been made redundant by Microsoft.
From what we have been told, it seems you only "benefit" from Phorm's anti-phishing protection if you opt-in to being spied on, BUT I think Phorm itself suggested blocking webwise.net cookies if you wanted to permanently opt-out, and I think it was reported that this would be detected by their system's loop detection which would then "blacklist" your IP address for 30 minutes.

Now that would suggest to me that if you have more than one PC using your connection and webwise.net cookies were blocked by any of the users, then none would be protected while they were browsing. So Phorm Phishing protection would give the others nothing but a false sense of security.

I also wonder what happens if the IP address your ISP allocates to you when you connect had just been released by a person who blocks webwise.net cookies, disconnecting. Unless they've put some measure in place to prevent it this could result in you not being protected by Phorm's anti-phishing protection for up to 30 minutes.

If either of these scenarios could result in someone who was opted-in not being protected, then my view is Phorm's anti-phishing is not fit for the purpose and they should not advertise nor claim their service provides it. If users are told by opting-in their ISP will provide them with anti-phishing protection, they might well turn their existing (effective) anti-phishing protection off.
Old 16-05-2008, 13:00   #6714
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post
After the installation of the SP, IE7 has a fully functioning and by default switched on anti phishing.
A number of us still use Internet Explorer v6 for one or more resins, I still use Internet Explorer v6 for it's ease of use plus it's ftp capability watt I use weekly, Internet Explorer v7 is not as easy to use as Internet Explorer v6 & as I said Internet Explorer v7 doesn't have ftp capability, I here you thinking why don't you use a ftp client, the simple answer is because I haven't found one that is easy to use with me ben Dyslexic!
Old 16-05-2008, 13:24   #6715
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Investors Chronicle

Now it has been published I can tell you all that the article concludes with a Sell Order on the grounds that Phorm Stock is too high risk.

I have not seen the article yet, but I knew this several days ago. If anyone has managed to read it yet please post a few little tidbits, I am still waiting for details.

Alexander Hanff
Old 16-05-2008, 13:29   #6716
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Investors Chronicle

Now it has been published I can tell you all that the article concludes with a Sell Order on the grounds that Phorm Stock is too high risk.

I have not seen the article yet, but I knew this several days ago. If anyone has managed to read it yet please post a few little tidbits, I am still waiting for my login details to access it.

Alexander Hanff
This should help the share price no end.

I notice it is now back to roughly where it was before last weeks rise, but is now falling at a rate far faster than it was. Lets see what effect the IC article has.
Old 16-05-2008, 13:36   #6717
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
This should help the share price no end.

I notice it is now back to roughly where it was before last weeks rise, but is now falling at a rate far faster than it was. Lets see what effect the IC article has.
Well I am very pleased to say that Claer Barrett (the author) contacted me via Chris Williams at the Register to consult on the article a couple of weeks ago. I had a very pleasant conversation with her about 2 hours long and have been providing her with updates and news between that phone call and now.

OK I have read the article I will post some quotes from it shortly but I have to finish this piece of work first.

Alexander Hanff
Old 16-05-2008, 13:47   #6718
smcicr
Inactive

smcicr is an unknown quantity at this point

to blatantly steal from others:

let the ethical bloodsport that is watching phorms shares go tank tank tankety tank commence...

please? would be a most pleasant end to the week
Old 16-05-2008, 13:56   #6719
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
There may well be a few BT executives involved in the illegal Phorm trials that may be interested as well.

Stratis Scleparis like it so much he bought the company... Emma Sanderson is currently beta testing the production version and has asked if gears can be added to speed it up!
Old 16-05-2008, 14:05   #6720
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post

Quote:
With regards to the use of Webwise by Internet Service Providers, I am unable to discuss or investigate the use of this system with you. Please may I advise that you contact your Internet Service Provider directly

This is what my bank had to say about webwise...

We understand your concerns regarding Phorms open internet exchange monitoring your internet usage. The phorm service is limited to monitoring none-secure web only. This means that although it may see you visit our web site, it can not trace your activity when you log on to your Internet Banking.

If you are worried about your Internet Banking log on information being captured by Phorm, details will not be captured from our log-on screens as the are encrypted https pages. If you use the same log on information for any none-secure (http) sites we would recommend that you change your Internet Banking details to something new that you do not use elsewhere.

They are fully aware of Phorm and insist there is nothing to fear.

My second financial institution however has not yet responded other than to acknowledge receipt...
Closed Thread