Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

Old 14-10-2018, 16:30   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

In a discussion concerning tomatoes, I noticed that Maggy spelt them the same way as I do, however, 'tomatos' is also correct.

This got me thinking about any more words where different spellings are also correct. Does forums and forai count?

Can anyone think of any more?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2018, 17:39   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

Beware of spellcheckers swerving you towards American English.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 20:51   #3
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Yea Ass and Arse ..
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 21:43   #4
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

ghoti = fish

'gh' from enough
'o' from women
'ti' from station
Old 14-10-2018, 22:48   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Beware of spellcheckers swerving you towards American English.
As far I can tell, forai isnt word in any English.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 01:37   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
As far I can tell, forai isnt word in any English.
* Fora.
Old 15-10-2018, 09:34   #7
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Judgment and Judgement
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:39   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Stationary and Stationery.
Old 15-10-2018, 18:07   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Licensed and licenced, though I believe the first is the English spelling and the second American.

Re: Tomatoes. Maggy pointed out that tomatos is not a correct spelling. The original site that I used to check said that both were ok, but another says that there is only one spelling. As Maggy is a teacher I think it best to take her advice on this.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-10-2018 at 18:11.
Old 15-10-2018, 18:15   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Stationary and Stationery.
One is "to be still" the other is "materials for writing".

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

Mrs. and Missus

I suppose the former is a contraction of Mistress. Try referring to your wife as such....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 00:22   #11
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Licence is a noun, license is a verb. to drive you need a licence but the DVLA must license you.The L in DVLA is licensing. Though in America only license is used regardless of context.
Old 16-10-2018, 12:25   #12
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Spelled and spelt
Old 16-10-2018, 13:46   #13
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Gaol and jail. I hate that Jail seemed to be more uniformly used. I love the eccentricities of the English language.
Old 16-10-2018, 15:26   #14
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Gaol and jail. I hate that Jail seemed to be more uniformly used. I love the eccentricities of the English language.
That is more of an olde English spelling and is not really used any longer.

I noticed that many of the suggested different spellings of words are actually not the same word at all, and people are getting confused with what words and their meanings are. A lot of the time its the American English version.

This one below is slightly different though as both are sort of correct

Spelled and spelt - the American English past tense form is spelled. In other varieties of English, both spelled and spelt are common. So, if you're in the United States, you would probably write it like this: The past tense of the verb “spell” can be spelled in two ways.
Old 17-10-2018, 08:36   #15
Tinky
To err is human

Color and colour