Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

Old 17-10-2018, 08:39   #16
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Re: Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

"z" and "s". Many of the places that one might expect an "s" actually has "z" listed first in the Oxford English Dictionary and they predate the "s" spellings, rather than being an Americanization, per se.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2018, 10:49   #17
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Curb and Kerb although different meanings
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:58   #18
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Curb and Kerb although different meanings

Lots of those progers, grate and great, bow and bough, have and half, lock and loch, tail and tale, etc, etc, etc, but not the subject of this topic it would appear.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:47   #19
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Unfortunately the bugbear that exercises a teacher's annoyance immemorial is their and there.

Another that truly makes me incandescent is lose and loose as neither is pronounced the same but they repeatedly get used in the wrong context. The term looser for loser really is enough to turn me into the Hulk.

Oh and please use a spellchecker whether it is US or UK. You will always be right somewhere in the world.At least you will not be driving me up the wall.

Last edited by Maggy; 18-10-2018 at 09:50.
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 12:26   #20
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

...because I feel like smiling I thought I would share a silly quote that my son sent to cheer me up.

“Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.”
― Anthony G. Oettinger

Sorry for bending the topic a tad.
Old 18-11-2018, 16:37   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Inflection and inflexion.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 13:28   #22
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish people knew the difference between lose and loose. Drives me crazy.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 15:04   #23
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Favorite and favourite
Old 20-11-2018, 17:50   #24
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
Favorite and favourite
Another Americanism. They always miss out the u. Harbor and harbour.
Old 21-11-2018, 01:13   #25
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Depends which dictionary you use.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:43   #26
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Depends which dictionary you use.

Of course it does. However my fellow colleagues in the world of UK education tend to stick with the standard UK dictionary in order to secure good examination passes for their students.
Old 21-11-2018, 10:29   #27
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I have a copy of the Collins concise dictionary as my paper has a word puzzle (sun dial) that uses that as its reference and there you see different spellings: One of the most common I've seen is when a word ends in an "e" but has a version ending in "y"

e.g. Ropy and ropey which are both correct and the same meaning.

There, their and they're

Your and you're

As for apostrophes...
Old 21-11-2018, 10:56   #28
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Gaol and jail. I use the former.
Old 21-11-2018, 11:37   #29
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
I just wish people knew the difference between lose and loose. Drives me crazy.
The people who lose their loose change.

In other words, if you lost you don't gain an O when you lose.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:41   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Inventer and inventor seem to be spelt differently, but mean the same thing.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote