Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-07-2008, 21:38   #12916
Peter N

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

However we try to analyse this system and figure out how it will be implemented we come up against one major obstacle - it doesn't actually work. If it did BT would already be using it.

Advertisement
Old 29-07-2008, 21:50   #12917
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
However we try to analyse this system and figure out how it will be implemented we come up against one major obstacle - it doesn't actually work. If it did BT would already be using it.

You could say it's the same problem as 121Media aka Phorm had with their notorious rootkit, once it was discovered others worked out how to combat or nullify it!

Without a cookie how can individual surfers be identified for a single session or otherwise, without the Webwise System using PII Info?
Old 29-07-2008, 22:03   #12918
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

can they use ip ranges for those mugs who opt in ?
Old 29-07-2008, 22:14   #12919
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
can they use ip ranges for those mugs who opt in ?
Routers only present as One IP address to the ISP for multi-accounts, unless a way is found to identify an individual (even if so called anonymized) this would not be a target advertisement System?
Old 29-07-2008, 22:18   #12920
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
have BT legal not heard the expression when considering the invitation page

"you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear"

it is used to suggest that some improvement projects of different kinds are doomed to failure.

peter
apparently you can
#92 ,its OC a derivative work and using other peoples prior work /property, but perhaps BT don't care about paying for these licenses if it makes them some cash. they being just your average commercial pirate for profit after all.
Old 29-07-2008, 22:39   #12921
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
and don't forget that if you use certain web browsers (safari is one) then the Phorm system in it's current form won't work and they don't even try to invite you/drop a cookie on your system - the layer 7 kit just automatically routes you straight to where you wanted to go in the first place.
As it stands, Safari is compatible with Phorm's cookie forging via redirects, but wasn't supported because phorm's adverts use third party cookies, which it blocks.

If only someone could convince Safari's developers to treat cookies set after a redirect to another domain as third party cookies as is done by Opera, and convince Opera's developers to block third party cookies by default as is done by Safari, then both browsers would be incompatible with Phorm's system. Although I for one still would not be happy with my browsing going through Phorm's DPI kit, whether they claim to process it or not.
Old 29-07-2008, 23:36   #12922
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaJack View Post
Thanks for the explanation of TOR.

Because this is way above my head do any of you who responded to my question mind if I cut and paste the relevant parts and and post them on the other message board?

I'll make sure I don't claim credit for it and won't put any usernames there either. I'll wait a couple of days to give you a chance to object, I read all the posts here so I'll spot it if anyone doesn't want me to do it.

If nothing else it keeps the thread I opened a couple of months ago on BT/Phorm appearing on the front page of the board.

I have posted a link to this thread too but I imagine it's a bit too much to expect someone to read right through 800+ pages!
I don't mind, but the post following mine is more correct.
Old 29-07-2008, 23:51   #12923
Peter N

Have any webmasters here contacted Phorm as potential customers?

Old 29-07-2008, 23:52   #12924
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Here is an update of the text version of the Phorm Flyer. Please use this one instead:

http://pastebin.com/f54cc5603

...For posting on relevant Forums, Newsgroups, Mailing Lists, etc.
Old 29-07-2008, 23:54   #12925
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
BT are going to pour their coffers into the pockets of web site creators if this is switched on.

To the point where investment in next generation infrastructure is going to be the very least of their problems.

And instead of paying BT for broadband... we will make money off BT

Old 30-07-2008, 00:07   #12926
Peter N

A nice quote regarding targetted advertising...

"This stuff doesn't work. Amazon is still showing me things they think I will like based on my Christmas purchases and one-shot wedding gifts."

Old 30-07-2008, 00:09   #12927
Hank

Oh, it's after midnight. No appearance of a Webwise Phorm BT partership actually doing anything. Sweet dreams

Old 30-07-2008, 00:25   #12928
phormwatch
Inactive

Entity-Relationship diagram update:

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7875/phormumlsu8.jpg

Please check for correctness and suggest updates.

---------- Post added at 00:25 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

BT/Webwise Topic on Save As... forum started yesterday.

http://www.filesaveas.co.uk/cgi-bin/...1217334228/1#1

Feel free to join in...
Old 30-07-2008, 00:48   #12929
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
apparently you can
#92 ,its OC a derivative work and using other peoples prior work /property, but perhaps BT don't care about paying for these licenses if it makes them some cash. they being just your average commercial pirate for profit after all.
there is always one smart alec that can prove people wrong

peter
Old 30-07-2008, 01:26   #12930
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
As it stands, Safari is compatible with Phorm's cookie forging via redirects, but wasn't supported because phorm's adverts use third party cookies, which it blocks.

If only someone could convince Safari's developers to treat cookies set after a redirect to another domain as third party cookies as is done by Opera, and convince Opera's developers to block third party cookies by default as is done by Safari, then both browsers would be incompatible with Phorm's system. Although I for one still would not be happy with my browsing going through Phorm's DPI kit, whether they claim to process it or not.
Since I enabled browser logging and started looking at browser requests and server responses in those logs, I find that some tracking scripts are setting cookies even though they are what I would think of as 3rd party scripts / cookies. For example, scripts called from tracker.domain.tld are setting cookies in the domain domain.tracker.tld. Some even go so far as to set cookies for domain.tracker2.tld.
(Most cookies are set when images are called so surfing without images greatly reduces the risk of cookies, even when javascript is enabled.
Visit bt.com home page.
Without images, bt.com only sets cookies in the domain .bt.com.
With images enabled, the home page sets cookies in the domains:- .doubleclick.net, .2o7.net, btow.touchclarity.com, .bt.com.
Virginmedia.com home page has fewer cookies:- .virginmedia.com and .advertising.com plus without images the travelsupermarket.com cookie not declaring a domain, and no javascript option giving me a cookie in the domain .atdmt.com
Settings included no images from foreign servers and no javascript from foreign servers.)

If this is what ordinary 'trusted' websites are doing with their 3rd party analytics / tracking / profiling scripts which start off calling a first party script hosted on their server, how much more can a DPI system do? There is nothing in the DPI process that will decrease the number of 3rd party trackers and profilers that have your surfing data, it just adds one known layer of profiling and hides multiple other potential layers.

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Oh, it's after midnight. No appearance of a Webwise Phorm BT partership actually doing anything. Sweet dreams
Does anybody know when the BT servers are 'rebooted'. I would expect it to be somewhere between 2 am and 4 am.
Even if they are only sending out 10k invites on the 24 hour notice, most mail systems will fall over if more than 50 emails are sent out per batch so it will take a few hours to send out all those advance warning messages.
Closed Thread