Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Landlines to be axed by 2025

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Landlines to be axed by 2025

Old 26-08-2021, 18:12   #31
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Landlines to be axed by 2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
What if you dont use the BT smarthub as your router, what is there solution there?
Doesn't seem to be an official one. BT's Hubs don't have a modem mode so you can't do what you can with the Virgin Media Hub for a third party router.

Lots of discussion about how to make it work by bypassing as much of the router as possible - https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-pho...r/td-p/2095493
Old 26-08-2021, 23:33   #32
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r
The phones in my last job switched to VOIP, the downside was in a power cut, or the network goes down you can make zero phone calls, including 999.
Yup same here....... Lousy network,drops call all the time........

I would love to have our GOOD landline service back!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 17:25   #33
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

IIRC operators will allow each other to use their towers, this will save a fortune in building new towers.

Especially those in remote areas.

https://www.choose.co.uk/news/2019/m...k-4g-coverage/
Old 10-09-2021, 17:33   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
A great idea and, further to one potential barrier to it coming about, we are no longer in the EU so the state aid component has stuff-all to do with the European Commission.

I’ve long thought that the emergency services infrastructure in remote areas should be open to tower sharing. It seems a bit pointless if the emergency services can talk to each other in these places but you can’t use your mobile phone to call them out there in the first place.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 18:03   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A great idea and, further to one potential barrier to it coming about, we are no longer in the EU so the state aid component has stuff-all to do with the European Commission.
The linked article was from end of 2019 at which point we were still in the EU and it wasn't clear when the final exit would be.
Quote:
but you can’t use your mobile phone to call them out there in the first place.
Remember though, emergency mobile calls use whatever network is available. No 'normal service' network sharing required
Old 10-09-2021, 18:08   #36
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The linked article was from end of 2019 at which point we were still in the EU and it wasn't clear when the final exit would be.
I know - hence “further to”

Quote:
Remember though, emergency mobile calls use whatever network is available. No 'normal service' network sharing required
Can a mobile phone make a 999 call via a TETRA mast? I was unaware … I thought there needed to be at least one public cell in range for that function to work.
Old 10-09-2021, 18:10   #37
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
I know - hence “further to”
Can a mobile phone make a 999 call via a TETRA mast? I was unaware … I thought there needed to be at least one public cell in range for that function to work.
Well probably not but then the Emergency Services are moving the ESN which is 4G based so the coverage will then be similar as far as I understand it?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rvices-network
Quote:
Investment in ESN will also mean improvements to 4G network coverage, which will enable 999 calls to be made securely from mobile phones in some of the most remote and rural parts of Great Britain.
Old 10-09-2021, 18:15   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Well probably not but then the Emergency Services are moving the ESN which is 4G based so the coverage will then be similar as far as I understand it?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rvices-network
I suspect that work is connected to the earlier plan in some way.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:08   #39
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

currently, IIRC all 999 calls will piggyback on the best signal, regardless if it is your operator or not.

So if that can be done, surely it's easy to allow them to make ordinary calls
Old 17-09-2021, 16:25   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
currently, IIRC all 999 calls will piggyback on the best signal, regardless if it is your operator or not.

So if that can be done, surely it's easy to allow them to make ordinary calls
It’s technically easy but not desirable. Cells have limited capacity, as we know only too well around here. Most of the year I can get close to 150Mbps from my local EE cell, which is its maximum. But for a few weeks in the summer when all the local caravan sites are full I’m lucky to get 2Mbps download in the evening. Now, EE is the only functional network in the area, and it struggles to cope at times, just from an influx of its own customers. Imagine the havoc if they just allowed any phone to use the cell.

Infrastructure sharing, I think, is likely to go little further than tower sharing. Each network operator is going to have to put their own hardware on the tower and ensure there’s enough backhaul capacity for their needs.
Old 18-09-2021, 19:14   #41
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

A mobile phone will be able to make a 999 call even if you have no sim card in it.
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote