Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 11

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Windows 11

Old 25-06-2021, 12:28   #1
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Windows 11

Ok so MS did their official announcement yesterday and it is due for release this year

I knew with end of support for windows 10 being 2025 that the release was going to be close. I thought it had to be before the end of next year but this year is sooner than I expected

Looking forward to it tbh fancy a change

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/24/mi...BR8RZRvWrOxPx3

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Just for reference I run the min req test and my PC said not compatible. This was due to TPM being disabled in the bios ( guess that was default setting maybe ) enabled it and now compatible
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2021, 14:31   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Windows 11

Looks like i won't be upgrading to Windows 11 due to TPM and my onboard Intel 4400 graphics as my PC is too old and probably my CPU too but works perfectly fine.

Bloody ridiculous, the adoption rate will be terrible, i also ready Laptops will need to support Bluetooth 4.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 25-06-2021 at 14:46.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 14:50   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

If you check out the insider preview it is letting people that do not meet the requirements to join the channels in some circumstances. So it could well be the fact it is not written in stone what will be upgradable or not

Have you checked the Bios for TPM settings?

I just jumped in on the Dev channel and installed the latest windows 10 preview ready for 11 next week
Old 25-06-2021, 14:58   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

you can try it soon, I have a couple machines using Windows 10 insider build which have been pretty much ok

https://www.theverge.com/22544024/wi...view-microsoft

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-in...of-windows-11/
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 15:18   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
If you check out the insider preview it is letting people that do not meet the requirements to join the channels in some circumstances. So it could well be the fact it is not written in stone what will be upgradable or not

Have you checked the Bios for TPM settings?

I just jumped in on the Dev channel and installed the latest windows 10 preview ready for 11 next week
I've checked the bios and can't find anything, so far my system fails for:

CPU not supported
NO TPM
No Directx12

Not a chance this thing will run. lol
Old 25-06-2021, 15:44   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I've checked the bios and can't find anything, so far my system fails for:

CPU not supported
NO TPM
No Directx12

Not a chance this thing will run. lol
laptop?
Old 25-06-2021, 15:47   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
laptop?
Desktop, no plans to change CPU motherboard or graphics card as I game on PS5 exclusively.

I think MS have shot themselves in the foot and an extremely high percentage of people will stay on Windows 7 and 10 as they won't feel the need to upgrade, including alot of businesses.
Old 25-06-2021, 16:21   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Why on earth have they moved the start button to the middle.

That will just confuse and irritate, everyone expects it on the left.

Once again, change simply for the sake of change.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 16:38   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Why on earth have they moved the start button to the middle.

That will just confuse and irritate, everyone expects it on the left.

Once again, change simply for the sake of change.
It stays there until you register your copy, then it can be moved. Odd?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 17:49   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

For older PCs (eg pre 8th Gen Intel), the MB may have a TPM connector. My Z87 MB from 2013 has one.
It may only need a BIOS setting change eg my MB(MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming).

Quote:
Trusted Computing
Sets TPM (Trusted Platform Module) function.
TPM SUPPORT [Disabled]
Enables or disables the TPM function to build the endorsement key for accessing the system
Don't know if that would work on my PC.
Link
Quote:
To resolve this issue, you just need to jump into the UEFI/BIOS—generally by hitting [Del] as your machine boots and switching it on. It shouldn't take too much tracking down, but different manufacturers do hide it in different places. On my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard, it could be found by selecting Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Trusted Computing 2.0 and switching the Security Device Support to Enable. We also tested on an MSI motherboard with similar steps: Advanced Settings > Security > Trusted Computing.

PS:- Checked my BIOS setting and the MB needs a TPM module installed for the setting to be available.

Last edited by nomadking; 25-06-2021 at 18:21.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 19:17   #11
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I’m not upgrading my PC just to upgrade the OS.
Old 25-06-2021, 19:24   #12
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

If W10 is going to be supported for another 4 years, there isn't a big rush needed. As TPM modules are available for less than £15, it's not too big an expense if W11 is a must.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 19:38   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Plus just cuz MS no longer support an OS does not mean it shoudl not be used. Just normal care and upto date security and most will be fine
Old 25-06-2021, 20:00   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Plus just cuz MS no longer support an OS does not mean it shoudl not be used. Just normal care and upto date security and most will be fine
Exactly why many people still avoid W10 at all costs, and run W7 (or W8).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 20:11   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Exactly why many people still avoid W10 at all costs, and run W7 (or W8).
Correct, I'm still on W7 and will stay there while extended support is available. If I move to a new OS it will not be a Microsoft product.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote