Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 24-06-2022, 17:55   #541
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They do, but it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t listen to them.
But given their likely agenda, we should listen to them with a critical ear and judge for ourselves whether the other evidence we can see bears out their testimony.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2022, 10:48   #542
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I'm just sick of TV advertising whether I have or have not paid to watch it.I'm sick of all those 10-20 minutes of my life taken up with adverts.It's mounting up and and at nearly 70 I've not got the time to waste watching the tripe in the ads.
Old 25-06-2022, 11:06   #543
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I'm just sick of TV advertising whether I have or have not paid to watch it.I'm sick of all those 10-20 minutes of my life taken up with adverts.It's mounting up and and at nearly 70 I've not got the time to waste watching the tripe in the ads.
ITV and Channel4 I watch on demand using Brave browser and adguard and get no adverts.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 01:15   #544
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I havent seen an advert for years

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 10:41   #545
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/ofcom-want...ew-frequencies

Quote:
Ofcom wants to save Freeview frequencies

Broadcast regulator Ofcom has outlined its preliminary view over what should happen to the frequencies currently used to broadcast Freeview after 2030.

Next year, delegates at the World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC 2023) will make binding decisions. This will affect countries throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Frequencies currently ringfenced for terrestrial TV services like Freeview, as well as programme making, e.g. wireless microphones, could be opened up for other uses.

But further limits to the number of frequencies available to Freeview could undermine the platform’s viability.…

… Ofcom has published its preliminary view: it is for ‘no change’ for the Freeview frequencies. This would keep the status quo. But it will be a hard sell. Ofcom admits several countries are pushing for a co-allocation. That would allow the remaining frequencies to be used for either terrestrial or mobile broadband services.

What Ofcom has said:

“Our priority will be to ensure that, following the outcome of WRC-23, DTT services can continue to operate in the 470-694 MHz. Any decision on the future use of this band in the UK rests with the UK authorities.
We also note that, recognising the types of technologies currently used in domestic television and mobile broadband wireless services, sharing of the band between these services is not feasible in the same frequencies in the same geographical area. (i.e., both the 700 MHz and 800 MHz bands were cleared of broadcasting to make the widest and most rapid possible deployment of mobile broadband services.)

Nor do we feel that a reequipping of domestic TV to facilitate sharing between broadcast and mobile services is either feasible or practical at this stage.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 11:17   #546
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Oh dear.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 12:29   #547
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Three important words there. "At this stage", which means they are not ruling it out altogether.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 12:41   #548
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Given that our broadcast region includes African nations that are nowhere near as far down the road of high speed mobile comms and on demand TV as many European ones, I’d say that Ofcom won’t be the only regulator pressing for little or no change.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 13:24   #549
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Three important words there. "At this stage", which means they are not ruling it out altogether.
I don’t think anyone views mixed mode use of the spectrum as something that won’t happen at some point, just most of us aren’t pushing an arbitrary deadline plucked from thin air.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 14:31   #550
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don’t think anyone views mixed mode use of the spectrum as something that won’t happen at some point, just most of us aren’t pushing an arbitrary deadline plucked from thin air.
We'll find out next year after the WRC.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 19:54   #551
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
2035 was not plucked from thin air, jfman.

For example -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...casting-sector

[EXTRACT]

’Make changes to the local TV licensing regime to enable the extension of the local TV multiplex licence until 2034…’

Last edited by OLD BOY; 26-06-2022 at 19:58.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 20:08   #552
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
2035 was not plucked from thin air, jfman.

For example -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...casting-sector

[EXTRACT]

’Make changes to the local TV licensing regime to enable the extension of the local TV multiplex licence until 2034…’
Impressive - you are using a Government paper published in April 2022 to support a proposition you made in 2015…
Old 26-06-2022, 20:24   #553
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Impressive - you are using a Government paper published in April 2022 to support a proposition you made in 2015…
Maybe Old Boy saw a draft, but the final version suffered from a bit of buffering on its way to the printers?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 20:31   #554
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
There have been a number of reasons why I picked 2035, Hugh. This is just further confirmation that this could turn out to be a significant year which sees the end of broadcast TV.
Old 26-06-2022, 21:36   #555
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
There have been a number of reasons why I picked 2035, Hugh. This is just further confirmation that this could turn out to be a significant year which sees the end of broadcast TV.
Sounds a bit like post hoc justification...

"See! Seven years after I said something, someone else said something similar - that proves I didn't pluck that date out of thin air..."