Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 01-06-2022, 18:06   #526
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No - where did you get that idea?

I said before that putting BBC3 alone online was not the brightest idea the Beeb ever had. It should be all or nothing. That’s why Disney ceased to allow its material to be available on TV channels in favour of the streamer.

But it is a pretty wacky idea for them to bring back BBC3, a young person’s channel, because of disappointing viewing figures, and then putting a channel predominantly aimed at older viewers, to on line only.

One wonders who the hell is making these decisions if they are not being made simply to have a go at the government.
I think the BBC is constrained from acting like Disney because it's a PSB. I think those without broadband or without good quality broadband would be unhappy to pay a licence fee without the guarantee of reliable access outside a web-based platform.

As regards BBC 3, I get the irony here but due to cut-backs, I think there would be insufficient new content to maintain BBC 4 as a linear channel.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2022, 19:50   #527
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think the BBC is constrained from acting like Disney because it's a PSB. I think those without broadband or without good quality broadband would be unhappy to pay a licence fee without the guarantee of reliable access outside a web-based platform.

As regards BBC 3, I get the irony here but due to cut-backs, I think there would be insufficient new content to maintain BBC 4 as a linear channel.
Agreed, so they would be better just ditching the channel and save the cost of running it.
Old 01-06-2022, 19:58   #528
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Agreed, so they would be better just ditching the channel and save the cost of running it.
Actually I think that’s what they are doing - 1 and 2 between them are more than capable of picking up the slack so far as broadcast arts content goes. On iPlayer, BBC4 need be no more than an arts brand that can be used to group arts content from across the BBC in one place.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 20:38   #529
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Actually I think that’s what they are doing - 1 and 2 between them are more than capable of picking up the slack so far as broadcast arts content goes. On iPlayer, BBC4 need be no more than an arts brand that can be used to group arts content from across the BBC in one place.
Yes, I think that’s absolutely right, and it conforms absolutely to my belief that ultimately all content will be categorised rather than split by channels in the way they are now when IPTV becomes the sole method of access. This is because the labels BBC1, BBC2, etc will become meaningless when all the content is to be found on the same streaming platform.
Old 01-06-2022, 20:57   #530
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yes, I think that’s absolutely right, and it conforms absolutely to my belief that ultimately all content will be categorised rather than split by channels in the way they are now when IPTV becomes the sole method of access. This is because the labels BBC1, BBC2, etc will become meaningless when all the content is to be found on the same streaming platform.
And if your Internet buffers, no tv. Linear/freeview has its advantages, its far more robust.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 21:09   #531
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
And if your Internet buffers, no tv. Linear/freeview has its advantages, its far more robust.
That will improve, Mr K.
Old 01-06-2022, 22:00   #532
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I agree that channel names are meaningless in a streaming environment, but really this only applies in a streaming-only environment. BBC1 and 2 as identifiers within the iPlayer would only become obsolete if iPlayer were to lose its catch-up functionality, and it won’t lose that as long as it’s hosting material that has first been broadcast. For the time being the genre headings are already in iPlayer and anyone can browse under them if they choose. Whether the BBC will become streaming only in the next 10 years (or 20, or 30) is of course the whole question that keeps this thread going.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:38   #533
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I agree that channel names are meaningless in a streaming environment, but really this only applies in a streaming-only environment. BBC1 and 2 as identifiers within the iPlayer would only become obsolete if iPlayer were to lose its catch-up functionality, and it won’t lose that as long as it’s hosting material that has first been broadcast. For the time being the genre headings are already in iPlayer and anyone can browse under them if they choose. Whether the BBC will become streaming only in the next 10 years (or 20, or 30) is of course the whole question that keeps this thread going.
Agreed!
Old 02-06-2022, 11:31   #534
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
my belief that ultimately all content will be categorised rather than split by channels
What is the difference between a category and a channel?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:47   #535
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
What is the difference between a category and a channel?
It depends on the extent to which the channel is themed. For the commercial PSBs plus BBC1 and 2, it’s a very significant difference because they are all generalist channels. For what we used to call digital multi channel tv there’s generally a lot less difference because the channels are already heavily themed.

The biggest noticeable shift *if* we went streaming only would be in pubic service tv. These operators would have to decide whether their channel brands could survive the change and how useful they would be as indicators of what they were offering. Does a BBC ONE brand, for example, make any sense if you’re not looking for something that was broadcast on BBC1, but rather a decent drama that could have been on any one of their channels?

I should add that it’s in this area the “streaming only” argument is weakest because I think it underestimates the usefulness and the popularity of a curated schedule. Plenty of people don’t know exactly what they want and are happy for the controller of a channel brand they trust to decide for them.
Old 21-06-2022, 20:38   #536
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It depends on the extent to which the channel is themed. For the commercial PSBs plus BBC1 and 2, it’s a very significant difference because they are all generalist channels. For what we used to call digital multi channel tv there’s generally a lot less difference because the channels are already heavily themed.

The biggest noticeable shift *if* we went streaming only would be in pubic service tv. These operators would have to decide whether their channel brands could survive the change and how useful they would be as indicators of what they were offering. Does a BBC ONE brand, for example, make any sense if you’re not looking for something that was broadcast on BBC1, but rather a decent drama that could have been on any one of their channels?

I should add that it’s in this area the “streaming only” argument is weakest because I think it underestimates the usefulness and the popularity of a curated schedule. Plenty of people don’t know exactly what they want and are happy for the controller of a channel brand they trust to decide for them.
I agree with your explanation of the difference between categories and channels. And that has been my point all along - when channels are IPTV only, differentiating, say, BBC 1 and BBC 2 will be pointless. Pulling all the game shows, documentaries, films, dramas etc into their appropriate categories makes much more sense.

As for broadcast TV, its days are limited.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/what-happe...cleared-for-5g

[EXTRACT]

Will any further TV frequencies be cleared for 5G or other mobile services?

That’s under consideration. Next year, delegates from around the world will attend the World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-2023), where this is an agenda item.

The WRC is organised by the ITU, a United Nations agency. At their conferences, decisions are made over the global use of frequencies and which services should use them. There are three ‘regions’, the UK, EU and Africa are in region 1. Some, particularly in the mobile industry, are pushing for further TV frequencies to be made available for mobile services. This would bring region 1 in line with region 2, which includes the USA and Canada. Here, the 600 MHz band is already used for mobile services, with terrestrial TV increasingly shunted into the VHF band.

Others want region 1 to adopt a shared use for the remaining TV frequencies, allowing them to be used for a variety of technologies. TV and PMSE (Programme Making and Special Events) would no longer have exclusive rights. There is great opposition, with African Union countries demanding no change to current usage. European broadcasters also object. Ofcom hasn’t yet confirmed its position.

But whichever decisions are made, the UK will have to abide by them. That’s why there is ongoing uncertainty over the future of terrestrial television beyond 2030.

Beyond 2030

All new multiplex licences will contain a revocation clause, which can be activated from 31st December 2025 giving the multiplex operator five year’s notice. Effectively, this means that viewers would get five years to some point in the 2030s that their TV service is being switched off. If the licences are not prematurely revoked, then they will expire naturally in 2034.

Other countries are pushing for 5G Broadcast to replace the current digital terrestrial TV service. It could use the current terrestrial transmitter network to deliver an open-access signal to all types of device. However, the UK has not signalled any push to 5G Broadcast or any other alternative. By 2034, TV frequencies may not been needed for anymore 5G services, but 6G.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-06-2022 at 20:41.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 18:01   #537
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

https://advanced-television.com/2022...o-be-streamed/

Anthony Wood, CEO of streaming and device platform specialist Roku, has predicted that, eventually, all TV will move to streaming platforms, with advertisers following the audience away from traditional linear TV broadcasts.

Speaking to CNBC at the Cannes Lions festival on Roku’s take on the ad market, Wood said that “all television is going to be streamed. That means all TV advertising is going to be streamed”.

But we knew that, didn’t we? You heard it here first, after all!
Old 22-06-2022, 18:08   #538
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

So the head of a company whose entire line of business is providing streaming devices is predicting that all TV is going to be streamed?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 18:29   #539
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So the head of a company whose entire line of business is providing streaming devices is predicting that all TV is going to be streamed?
It’s almost as if these people go to events like this to promote their products …
Old 22-06-2022, 18:43   #540
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I think he knows what he’s talking about. I’d rather be listening to people like him than these diehard establishment figures who are constantly resisting change.

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Quote:
It’s almost as if these people go to events like this to promote their products …
They do, but it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t listen to them.