Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 12:39   #6346
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’d require Starmer to develop a spine unfortunately.
Calling the Delta variant the Johnson variant is a good start!
Quote:
Sir Keir Starmer calls the Delta variant of #COVID19 the 'Johnson variant' and calls the government's approach to lifting lockdown restrictions 'reckless'
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1412732153234923522
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2021, 12:42   #6347
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Haha Christmas is a bit far.

Distancing I get there’s an economic argument around. Masks less so.
Quote:
all mitigating measures that have been taken in Denmark to prevent a second wave had no tangible effect on the spread of Covid-19. Those measures included a universal mask mandate.
https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4586/rr-6
Old 07-07-2021, 13:01   #6348
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Quote:
The study did not evaluate whether people with masks are less likely to infect someone else. However, given that we now know that surgical masks have limited filtering capacity, we must derive that it is very unlikely that surgical masks provide a substantial protection from an infectious wearer.
A guess then with an unclear definition of “substantial”.

Nobody is presenting masks as a silver bullet. But it’s a tool to be utilised along with everything else if we have a serious intention of keeping the economy open.

I mean the alternative isn’t the best:

Quote:
The message from the science of epidemiology is clear: isolation is the only scientifically-sound measure that we have to prevent a SARS-CoV-2 infection now. Whether or not imposing isolation to populations through lockdowns is a political decision that has to take many factors into account, but the distinction between evidence-based and non evidence-based measures is unequivocal.
Old 07-07-2021, 13:37   #6349
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Around nine in 10 adults in the UK are estimated to have Covid antibodies, new figures suggest.

The Office for National Statistics said that in England, 89.8 per cent of the adult population would be likely to have tested positive for antibodies against coronavirus in the week beginning 14 June – suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated. That was an increase from 79.6 per cent a month ago.

The figure stretched from 84.7 per cent in Scotland (up month on month from 71.8 per cent) to 91.8 per cent in Wales (up from 82.1 per cent). In Northern Ireland, it is estimated that 87.2 per cent of the adult population would have tested positive for antibodies, up from 80.0 per cent.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-b1879643.html
Old 07-07-2021, 13:42   #6350
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Quote:
Around nine in 10 adults in the UK are estimated to have Covid antibodies, new figures suggest.

The Office for National Statistics said that in England, 89.8 per cent of the adult population would be likely to have tested positive for antibodies against coronavirus in the week beginning 14 June – suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated. That was an increase from 79.6 per cent a month ago.

The figure stretched from 84.7 per cent in Scotland (up month on month from 71.8 per cent) to 91.8 per cent in Wales (up from 82.1 per cent). In Northern Ireland, it is estimated that 87.2 per cent of the adult population would have tested positive for antibodies, up from 80.0 per cent.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-b1879643.html
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...d-coronavirus/
Quote:
What an antibody test can tell you

An antibody test can tell you if it's likely you've had COVID-19 before.

But it does not work for everyone, as some people who've had the virus do not have antibodies.

An antibody test does not tell you:

- if you're immune to COVID-19
- If you can or cannot spread the virus to other people

How an antibody test works

An antibody test checks for antibodies in your blood.

Your body makes antibodies when you get an infection. They help fight the infection.

If you have COVID-19 antibodies in your blood, it's likely you've had the virus before.

It's not known if having antibodies stops you getting the virus again.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 07-07-2021, 14:02   #6351
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
Fed-up Brits are deleting the Covid tracing app in their droves amid warnings millions will be pinged within weeks - despite the vaccine rollout.

Ministers are facing massive fury after they announced double jabbed Brits will have to wait until August 16 to escape draconian self isolation rules.

As infection rates soar, up to 3.5 million Brits are expected to be stuck in self isolation by early August if infection rates hit 100,000 per day as ministers predict.

Despairing business chiefs say the overzealous app - which tells around three people to self isolate for a single Covid case - is forcing entire restaurants to close.

Kate Nicholls, chief executive of UK Hospitality, said the ultra-strict rules are devastating businesses already hammered by rolling lockdowns.

She saids: “Around a third of our staff are self isolating at any one time at the moment because they have been pinged.

“The app is pinging more and more people, and that number is going to go up in the coming weeks.

“The economy is going to grind to a halt.

“It is overzealous and people are just starting to delete it. My timeline is full of people saying they have turned it off because their sister’s wedding is coming up and they don't want to miss it.”

Many restaurant and bar workers have already deleted the app or turned off the bluetooth to stop it working so they do not get pinged, which could mean days of missed work and vital income.

Iain Duncan Smith told The Sun: "What will happen now is as people walk into the pub, they will delete the app.
My phone doesn't do the app so I have no need to delete it.

My local records my name and landline number in their own trace system. As a rule I try to sit outside.
Old 07-07-2021, 14:35   #6352
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
A guess then with an unclear definition of “substantial”.

Nobody is presenting masks as a silver bullet. But it’s a tool to be utilised along with everything else if we have a serious intention of keeping the economy open.
It's a non-argument. If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask. Wear a Hazmat suit if you want.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

My local records my name and landline number in their own trace system. As a rule I try to sit outside.
I've never had the T&T app, whenever I've gone anywhere they just point at the Q-code and I just flash my phone at it.
Old 07-07-2021, 14:37   #6353
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Since the app has been available I have it but only use it if the pub requires it. Then I turn on mobile data, bluetooth and location on my way to the pub scan the Q code on entry and turn them all off when I sit down.

Last edited by pip08456; 07-07-2021 at 14:37. Reason: Typo
Old 07-07-2021, 14:59   #6354
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
<SNIP>

I've never had the T&T app, whenever I've gone anywhere they just point at the Q-code and I just flash my phone at it.
Many places now demand to see the green tick.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 07-07-2021, 15:01   #6355
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It's a non-argument. If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask. Wear a Hazmat suit if you want.
One individual wearing a mask has negligible effect on anything.

It’s only through a collective endeavour it has any meaningful impact. I know, I can just imagine the sick in the back of your throat at that idea.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Quote:

Fed up Brits can get fed up in the next lockdown.
Old 07-07-2021, 15:37   #6356
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It’s only through a collective endeavour
Governmental diktat?
Old 07-07-2021, 16:40   #6357
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Maybe people who are paranoid about others not wearing a mask should wear two masks.
Old 07-07-2021, 16:47   #6358
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Speaking to someone in the events industry and their organisation is a bit annoyed. They wanted BoJo to hang on a bit longer so that they had more certainty for the return of their in-person Winter events.

Now it feels all uncertain again and exhibitors are now rowing back on their earlier enthusiasm after yesterday's news.
Old 07-07-2021, 18:50   #6359
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe people who are paranoid about others not wearing a mask should wear two masks.
Perhaps people who don’t seem to understand that masks mainly help prevent those already infected infecting others aren’t in the best position to be making "helpful" comments ?

Wearing a mask is mainly to help others, rather than yourself - is that why you have difficulty with it?

From a study of studies earlier this year, from the National Academy of Sciences (USA).

Quote:
We have seen that the efficacy of public mask wearing is largely supported by epidemiological and ecological data, as well as models. This could be due to masks filtering virus from an infected wearer, or protecting the wearer from infectious people around them, or both
Quote:
Conclusion

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.

The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce Re
to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained. Economic analysis suggests that mask wearing mandates could add 1 trillion dollars to the US GDP (32, 34).

Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high (39). We recommend that mask use requirements are implemented by governments, or, when governments do not, by organizations that provide public-facing services.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 07-07-2021 at 18:58.
Old 07-07-2021, 19:10   #6360
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Perhaps people who don’t seem to understand that masks mainly help prevent those already infected infecting others aren’t in the best position to be making "helpful" comments ?
But if you’re vaccinated:

A) you’re unlikely to get seriously ill

B) your ability to transmit the virus is cut by half after one dose

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56904993

So if your argument is that 90%+ overwhelming majority of the population should wear masks for a tiny % of people that can’t or won’t be vaccinated.

Well that’s a pretty warped stance to take.