Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 08-12-2016, 12:35   #2101
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
But a V8 sounds better
I'm getting 2 V6s, does that make a W12?....nah that's just stupid lol

Although it seems there are 8 tuners as 2 are being kept back....
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2016, 12:42   #2102
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
I assume its called V6 because of the 6 tuners?

whens the V8, and V12 coming out lol? everyone knows a V12 Is better than a V6.
I thought it was the age they were targetting with TellyTubbyTablets and their "Hey there! Stuff's getter better" communication style
Old 08-12-2016, 12:52   #2103
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post

The 2 reserved tuners could easily be used for feeding live TV to a non PVR set top box like Tivo in the USA does.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:56   #2104
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The 2 reserved tuners could easily be used for feeding live TV to a non PVR set top box like Tivo in the USA does.
They was originally planning to use the VHD box as a TiVo box without recording capability, but it never saw the light

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Quote:

if 2 are being held back, even better... a W16!
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:16   #2105
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky's UHD currently doesn't include HDR but that said neither does BT's.
There is no difference in UHD support situation, specifically no HDR difference, between the V6 and Sky Q. The difference quoted was due to a misunderstanding by the reviewer, who said the Sky Q box was only HDMI 1.4 compatible.

Sky Q launched before the UHD service, so the HDMI capability was listed as HDMI 1.4 at the time. When Sky launched their UHD service they upgraded to HDMI 2.0 by firmware, necessary to support 4K/50 8-bit and 10-bit they now output.

There are two versions of HDR the boxes will need to be able to support in the future - HDR10 for most On Demand content and another, that has yet to be standardised, for live broadcast, but likely to be Hybrid Log Gamma, or HLG.

Sky said in the spring that they will do all they can to upgrade the box to support these two standards, once they are agreed, believe it should be possible, but can't say 100% until a broadcast standard is finalised. Virgin have said they will support HDR in the near future, but haven't talked about the two types, don't have any visible plans for broadcast HDR and are in the same position as Sky, chasing a yet-to-be-finalised standard (although, as the article linked above shows, The BBC are launching today test HLG broadcasts via iPlayer).

If Virgin have an advantage, it's because they are talking 7 or 8 months after Sky's last interview on the matter and probably have a clearer picture on broadcast AVR. On the other hand, they were not specific and could just have been talking support for HDR in On Demand content, and specifically for Netflix.

So really, we are still in limbo over "full" HDR support by both boxes and need to "watch this space".

Edit: seems the standards for broadcast HDR, which include HLG, are now "finalised but not yet published": http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/dvb-a...st-hdr-tv.aspx. So hopefully broadcasts using this will be incoming in the next year or so (iPlayer hopefully sooner).

Last edited by Jong1; 08-12-2016 at 14:39.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:27   #2106
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
If you need the extra tuners it provides or just want a faster box than you have just now then sure. It's not going to offer you anything in the way of 4K that you don't already have though as your TV will have Netflix built in anyway.

Will it be nice to have? Of course. The question is whether it's worth £65, or in my case as i'm not on a top tier package £115. Personally i don't think so and will be waiting until i can get it free when they do the bi-yearly subscription fee raise in a few months.
I was thinking about the football mate, some are showing games in 4K, I think? Might be BT, not sure, so would the V6 be capable of showing these games in 4K?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:32   #2107
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I was thinking about the football mate, some are showing games in 4K, I think? Might be BT, not sure, so would the V6 be capable of showing these games in 4K?
If...or when (if you're feeling positive) we get 4K football/movies/on-demand, yeah the V6 will be able to show it.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 08-12-2016 at 13:45.
Old 08-12-2016, 13:46   #2108
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I wonder whether BT and Sky will delay letting virgin have sports in 4K for a while, it's quite a big thing to be able to hold over their heads given the money in football these days.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:52   #2109
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I wonder whether BT and Sky will delay letting virgin have sports in 4K for a while, it's quite a big thing to be able to hold over their heads given the money in football these days.
I can imagine Sky & BT both holding out for as much as they can from Virgin for their 4K sports. It is big business after all.

Where VM may have some luck with Sky, is 4K movies and possibly on-demand 4K content for things like The Blacklist that is available on Sky Q.

Depends how much they want and how much VM are prepared to pay. Might not be in the next few weeks or months, but I would hazard a guess that VM are already in discussions....I hope lol
Old 08-12-2016, 14:17   #2110
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I can imagine Sky & BT both holding out for as much as they can from Virgin for their 4K sports. It is big business after all.

Where VM may have some luck with Sky, is 4K movies and possibly on-demand 4K content for things like The Blacklist that is available on Sky Q.

Depends how much they want and how much VM are prepared to pay. Might not be in the next few weeks or months, but I would hazard a guess that VM are already in discussions....I hope lol

The sensible business decision IMHO for Sky/BT, would be to hold on to them, as a USP, given that both boxes are equal and the only real distinguishing difference is personal usage requirements.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:19   #2111
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The sensible business decision IMHO for Sky/BT, would be to hold on to them, as a USP, given that both boxes are equal and the only real distinguishing difference is personal usage requirements.
Did the same thing happen with HD, PB? I can't remember lol

It might take a while, but VM are in the business of providing content. Just how far/how much will they pay, to provide that content is anyone's guess at the moment when it comes to 4K.

I have faith....I think they'll come good

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 08-12-2016 at 14:23.
Old 08-12-2016, 14:38   #2112
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I rang Virgin Media tonight to order the V6 box after 24 hours i decided to go ahead i spoke with a Asian lady who told me i would need to pay £99 plus £15 Activation fee and that i need to keep my old tivo box that will cost me £7.50 more a month she told me that the V6 would Launch in January 2017, i do wish these customer service people would read up before speaking with us m btw i was told yesterday i would pay £64 for my V6 box i wish i had ordered it yesterday lol
**** UPDATE 8TH Dec ******

I rang Virgin media to try to order the V6 Box i mentioned that i rang last night and got a install for 5th Jan 2017 the lady last night told me sooo much BS they person i spoke with couldn't believe what the lady said to me i even got the Activation Fee FREE and even got Sky Sports and Movie £20 less a Month for 6 months so i'm a happy Bunny , it looks like you have to have your modem next to your superhub i just hope they got to alter the Traffic Management before too much data is used
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:42   #2113
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Did the same thing happen with HD, PB? I can't remember lol

There were several years delay, and VM (Telewest then?) ended up selling the channels they owned and associated content to Sky in exchange for HD plus restoration of Sky channels that had been withheld by Sky in a financial dispute. It wasn't quite as simple as that but that was the outcome. A few months after that, Sky launched Atlantic and kept it exclusive.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 15:03   #2114
swindonindieguy
Inactive

swindonindieguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought I would share my renegotiation with Virgin in the hope that it could help someone.

We have 200mb BB, XL TV and Talk Weekends (paying now the deals ended £51.49 + the line rental with a 1TB Tivo and an additional basic box upstairs.

Currently come to the end of our deal with Virgin and had cancelled on the 30th November, when I spoke to an adviser and raised a complaint about his attitude, I didn't hear anything back and then spoke to someone from the complaints team yesterday who offer who could offer me £48 per month if I kept my existing Tivo box something that I didn't want to do but they could offer me it at £51.49 + £150 for a V6 box in installation something that I decided not to take, however the credited the account with £50 to close the complaint.

I phoned back today and spoke to retentions, who said they would ask the outbound retentions team to call me as I was now in cancellations. A lovely chap phoned me back and in the end did my full package for £41.50 per month (200mb/TV XL/Talk Weekends a V6 and the extra box upstairs) although I had to pay £50 for the box and £50 for the install the £50 credit covered some off and now they've changed the package It recalculated our bill crediting the account with a further £30 leaving us effectively with £20 to pay.

Only downside is they can't install till 8th Feb although he advised me to call back after Christmas to see if there were any new slots - gives us some time to watch the recorded shows!
swindonindieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 15:20   #2115
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

My 2 V6's have just been installed and they are on wifi and working fantastic

[img][/img]
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote