Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2020, 09:26   #7231
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Daft?

I just put "Copyright" on some posts when using information from Sources to stop my posts being use on other web sites without using my name.
“Copyright” protects your wording, to the extent that it is an original creative work. It doesn’t protect the information you have just shared on a public website. Anyone can repeat the information you’ve posted here wherever they like and you have no remedy in law to stop them.

You obviously don’t have a clue what copyright is, or about copyright law, so yes, sticking copyright notices on your posts in bold type makes you look daft. As does pretending you’re a “we”, but that’s another issue entirely.
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2020, 16:35   #7232
Richardr
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, Braodband
Richardr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Disney+ launching in the UK at £5.99 is an absolute steal of a price. No different tiers just one price to get all content at the best resolution offered.

Netflix price for the same 4k content is about £11.99.

They need to get their pricing down.
It's not the same content though is it. As someone pointed out above, Disney goes for a certain stream of the audience, albeit a large one.

Different services with different content will be worth different amounts to different people.
Old 22-01-2020, 18:11   #7233
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
“Copyright” protects your wording, to the extent that it is an original creative work. It doesn’t protect the information you have just shared on a public website. Anyone can repeat the information you’ve posted here wherever they like and you have no remedy in law to stop them.

You obviously don’t have a clue what copyright is, or about copyright law, so yes, sticking copyright notices on your posts in bold type makes you look daft. As does pretending you’re a “we”, but that’s another issue entirely.

lmfao...
Old 22-01-2020, 19:23   #7234
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

So true, I have pretty sure I have made this comment in the past and been shot down in flames!
Old 22-01-2020, 20:12   #7235
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

With Netflix shares slipping 3.3% so far today I don't think the market is too enthusiastic about the results vs expectations.

Shelling out billions more in content to make marginal gains in North America but more significant gains in Latin America/Asia Pacific is a classic example of the law of diminishing returns.
Old 22-01-2020, 20:21   #7236
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Chris whether you think this or not i'm not sure why it annoys you so much? Media boy is an excellent poster and if he wants to say "copyright" due to a belief it'll stop his post being put elsewhere does that really impact the rest of us?

Also as a member of the cable forum team is it really appropriate to send this message ans call someone "daft"?

Now to get my post back on track. What are the odds of the next big streaming service coming to virgin media? Disney? Now tv? WWE network? Or any other?
Old 22-01-2020, 20:29   #7237
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Chris whether you think this or not i'm not sure why it annoys you so much? Media boy is an excellent poster and if he wants to say "copyright" due to a belief it'll stop his post being put elsewhere does that really impact the rest of us?

Also as a member of the cable forum team is it really appropriate to send this message ans call someone "daft"?
Really? Have you never read any of Mick or Paul’s posts on here?

Believe me if I’d wanted to put the boot in, “daft” is not the word I’d have used. And yes, occasional comments about the accuracy of people’s posts is fair game, whether made by team or otherwise, as long as it doesn’t derail the thread. Claims of copyright over anything posted on a public web forum are dubious in the extreme. It does no harm to say so, and may help prevent users embarrassing themselves elsewhere.

On which note.
Old 22-01-2020, 20:32   #7238
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Daft?

I just put "Copyright" on some posts when using information from Sources to stop my posts being use on other web sites without using my name.
You are posting news or information that is freely available online. You adding that word means nothing, so yes it is daft. The same way you use the term us, when in fact it is just you, a singular person.
Old 22-01-2020, 21:26   #7239
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Now to get my post back on track. What are the odds of the next big streaming service coming to virgin media? Disney? Now tv? WWE network? Or any other?
Britbox yes, Disney+ yes, WWE network no idea but doubtful, nowtv no chance. Peacock no as it's not launching in uk.
Old 23-01-2020, 12:20   #7240
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You are posting news or information that is freely available online. You adding that word means nothing, so yes it is daft. The same way you use the term us, when in fact it is just you, a singular person.

For once I agree, what you say makes sense .Didnt think I would ever say that in a post
Old 23-01-2020, 16:43   #7241
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Britbox yes, Disney+ yes, WWE network no idea but doubtful, nowtv no chance. Peacock no as it's not launching in uk.
I’m confused about britbox. I thought it was just for people outside the Uk to watch bbc and itv shows? I would have thought all these bbc shows and itv shows are on Netflix, prime, iPlayer and itv play ?

Or are we literally paying the same price as other subscribers even though we paid our license fee for the bbc stuff already...
Old 23-01-2020, 16:55   #7242
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I’m confused about britbox. I thought it was just for people outside the Uk to watch bbc and itv shows? I would have thought all these bbc shows and itv shows are on Netflix, prime, iPlayer and itv play ?

Or are we literally paying the same price as other subscribers even though we paid our license fee for the bbc stuff already...
Britbox is supposed to become the ultimate box set library of UK-produced tv entertainment. Stuff that is currently on other services, like Netflix, is likely to disappear from there and go Britbox-exclusive in the long run. The app was available at launch on various devices in the UK including (I think) any Samsung smart tv from series 7 onwards (so less than about 3 years old). It’s available for mine but I’m not going to add it unless I decide to give it a try (which I might, when I foresee a long spell of bingeing ... I quite fancy going through all that classic Doctor Who).

But anyway, aside from the fact that a lot of the material on Britbox wasn’t ever shown on the BBC (ITV is the co-owner), it is a common misconception that the TV licence grants UK TV viewers rights in perpetuity to BBC content. This has never been the case. The BBC doesn’t even own a lot of supposedly BBC shows, and won’t be the sole beneficiary of slices of the subscription pie for much of the stuff they originally broadcast. Often the BBC receives pitches from third parties for their drama ideas, and in return for commissioning them, the BBC gets a say in the creative development of the show and first run rights. After that the production company usually gets to sell overseas and on blu ray.

Last edited by Chris; 23-01-2020 at 17:01.
Old 23-01-2020, 20:24   #7243
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Britbox is in uk now in a joint venture between itv, bbc and Channel 5. Channel 4 stuff is rumoured to be arriving soon.
As Chris said there is a lot of content on there that was never aired.
Old 23-01-2020, 23:17   #7244
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

In my opinion yes, read a post the other day which pointed out that you can watch sky sports on a tablet abroad but cannot watch BBC - who's stupid idea is that?
Old 24-01-2020, 16:54   #7245
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
In my opinion yes, read a post the other day which pointed out that you can watch sky sports on a tablet abroad but cannot watch BBC - who's stupid idea is that?
I assume if you subscribe to Britbox you'll be able to watch that in Europe while on holiday.
Closed Thread