Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Switch/router difference - internet connection - help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Switch/router difference - internet connection - help!

Old 17-04-2008, 11:59   #1
DaddyHoggy
Inactive

DaddyHoggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Switch/router difference - internet connection - help!

Due to the arrival of a new baby I've had to rearrange my house somewhat, lose the study and move my PC downstairs.

The VM cable modem (VM branded NTL250 - 2Mb/s connection) still lives upstairs (due to where it was fitted many years ago). I've run a 20m network cable from the cable modem upstairs to the new space for the PC downstairs. It all works fine.

Then I thought I'd be clever as I've got an XP machine already downstairs that I use as a PVR that has never been connected to the internet (due to the geography of the house).

So, I bought a cheap 2nd hand Netgear FS105 off ebay. The switch works fine, my original internet PC connects to the internet just fine through it. But my PVR (XP), my old laptop (dual boot Feisty Fawn/Win98SE) and my new gaming PC (dual boot Gutsy Gibbon/XP) don't connect to the internet via the switch.

Then a little warning bell went off in my head and the word "router" came into my mind. I've cocked up haven't I? I don't want a switch, I want a router don't I?

If the answer is yes - what do I do? Buy a router and put it upstairs with with the cable modem, connect that to my switch downstairs (through the 20m ethernet cable) and then connect all my PCs downstairs to the switch?

Any recommendations for a router? Emphasis on cheap (but good, if you know what I mean).

Apologies if I come across as a bit of a numpty - I'm not new to PCs but I am new to networking!

Cheers,

DaddyH
DaddyHoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2008, 12:24   #2
Sybex9
Inactive

Sybex9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Switch/router difference - internet connection - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyHoggy View Post
Due to the arrival of a new baby I've had to rearrange my house somewhat, lose the study and move my PC downstairs.

The VM cable modem (VM branded NTL250 - 2Mb/s connection) still lives upstairs (due to where it was fitted many years ago). I've run a 20m network cable from the cable modem upstairs to the new space for the PC downstairs. It all works fine.

Then I thought I'd be clever as I've got an XP machine already downstairs that I use as a PVR that has never been connected to the internet (due to the geography of the house).

So, I bought a cheap 2nd hand Netgear FS105 off ebay. The switch works fine, my original internet PC connects to the internet just fine through it. But my PVR (XP), my old laptop (dual boot Feisty Fawn/Win98SE) and my new gaming PC (dual boot Gutsy Gibbon/XP) don't connect to the internet via the switch.

Then a little warning bell went off in my head and the word "router" came into my mind. I've cocked up haven't I? I don't want a switch, I want a router don't I?

If the answer is yes - what do I do? Buy a router and put it upstairs with with the cable modem, connect that to my switch downstairs (through the 20m ethernet cable) and then connect all my PCs downstairs to the switch?

Any recommendations for a router? Emphasis on cheap (but good, if you know what I mean).

Apologies if I come across as a bit of a numpty - I'm not new to PCs but I am new to networking!

Cheers,

DaddyH
I would personally invest in a Linksys Router, and depending on how you want to go, either wireless or wired, I think you would be best going for the Linksys wrt54G as this would be ideal for if you ever want to go wireless.
Sybex9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:34   #3
cleshe
Inactive

Services: virgin 4Mbs ,now upgraded to 10Mbps
cleshe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybex9 View Post
I would personally invest in a Linksys Router, and depending on how you want to go, either wireless or wired, I think you would be best going for the Linksys wrt54G as this would be ideal for if you ever want to go wireless.
Yes you need a router, not a switch. When you get one,use your long lead to connect the router instead of the switch.The switch will come in handy if you want to connect more than four devices.Connect the first three, plus the switch, the rest to the switch. If you only have 4 to connect, resell the switch!
As a matter of interest, what speed are you on? if you are on the top layer, I believe that Virgin will now supply a router on request.On the other tiers, it's probably as cheap or cheaper to buy one.I just bought a D-Link DKT-110 kit from PC World for £35, which includes a wireless adaptor which would allow connection of one of your computers, but not an XBox, and save using the switch maybe.
It works ok for me, and was easy to set up. Best of luck whichever you decide.
cleshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:34   #4
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

I think your plan of router upstairs and switch downstairs would work.

OR if you've got 4 or less PCs you could just put the router at the end of the 20m cable downstairs and do away with the switch (unless I've missed something in your post).
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 13:14   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

This article helps explain networking kit layout http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94...em-router.html
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 16:28   #6
DaddyHoggy
Inactive

DaddyHoggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody for the speedy and helpful replies. To quickly answer "Tall" quickly - I actually have two FS105s before I realised I'd need the router the plan was to put one switch upstairs and connect my daughters PC to it (plus have a few spare sockets so I could connect my laptop upstairs if I wanted to). What I'll do now is get a router and put that upstairs and leave the switch downstairs where I will connect all my downstairs PCs - that'll leave me a switch to sell and recoup some of my router purchase cost.

@Rob - I did search the Forum before posting for just this kind of info - it's exactly what I wanted, it just didn't come up in my search. Thanks for linking to it.

I will let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

DaddyH
DaddyHoggy is offline   Reply With Quote