Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynomode router problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Dynomode router problem

Old 13-04-2008, 06:45   #1
poddy
Inactive

poddy is on a distinguished roadpoddy is on a distinguished road
Dynomode router problem

Hi all,

Help needed.

Its a long un but please bare with me...

Firstly my ISP is V*rgin and I was setup through a modem in the set top box which in turn was connected to my router (the was bit will come clear soon). From the router I ran a desktop pc with a wireless usb supplied with the router and a wireless laptop.

The problem started when I lost my internet conection, after contacting India....Sorry V*rgin and spening several hours on the phone to them they told me it was my router, I ended up connected via LAC straight to my laptop.

I emailed Dynomode who replied with an update to the fimware, I did the update re-connected the router and..... Back to square 1!! So after another hour on the blower to you know who... I am back connected via LAC.

BUT.....

This time they told me it was the STB modem causing the problems, so they've sent me a seperate modem which i'm now connected to via LAC.

This is where you guys and girls come in... Do I....

A- Try the updated router again at the risk of ending up at sq1 again ?

B- Bin the router and buy a new one ?

C- Connect the desktop via LAC and buy a new USB wireless dongle for the laptop to run from the desktop ? (or will the laptop pick up the Dynomode dongle from the desktop even though the router will be in the bin???)?

Thank you for patience in reading this if you still are

And many many thanks in advance for any tips, advice and help in any shape way or form.

Regards.
poddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2008, 07:14   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Dynomode router problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddy View Post
Hi all,

Help needed.

Its a long un but please bare with me...

Firstly my ISP is V*rgin and I was setup through a modem in the set top box which in turn was connected to my router (the was bit will come clear soon). From the router I ran a desktop pc with a wireless usb supplied with the router and a wireless laptop.

The problem started when I lost my internet conection, after contacting India....Sorry V*rgin and spening several hours on the phone to them they told me it was my router, I ended up connected via LAC straight to my laptop.

I emailed Dynomode who replied with an update to the fimware, I did the update re-connected the router and..... Back to square 1!! So after another hour on the blower to you know who... I am back connected via LAC.

BUT.....

This time they told me it was the STB modem causing the problems, so they've sent me a seperate modem which i'm now connected to via LAC.

This is where you guys and girls come in... Do I....

A- Try the updated router again at the risk of ending up at sq1 again ?

B- Bin the router and buy a new one ?

C- Connect the desktop via LAC and buy a new USB wireless dongle for the laptop to run from the desktop ? (or will the laptop pick up the Dynomode dongle from the desktop even though the router will be in the bin???)?

Thank you for patience in reading this if you still are

And many many thanks in advance for any tips, advice and help in any shape way or form.

Regards.
Seen this problem before, and yes, you can now reconnect the Dynamode router to the modem, the problem was that the Dynamode was actually requesting new DHCP info all the time, and as such, was eating all the local areas IP addresses. Sounds odd, but someone else here posted with it not long back.

As long as you applied the firmware update Dynamode gave you, you should be safe to reconnect.

---------- Post added at 08:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 ----------

Also, sorry i missed your earlier thread, which showed up after a quick search.

---------- Post added at 08:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 ----------

And here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ongestion.html is the thread that discussed this problem
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:58   #3
poddy
Inactive

Cheers.

I'll give it a whirl then..
I'll let the forum know if it works.

Thanks again.
Old 13-04-2008, 07:58   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddy View Post
Cheers.

I'll give it a whirl then..
I'll let the forum know if it works.

Thanks again.
No problem, hope it works
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:25   #5
poddy
Inactive

Yes it worked.

Thank you

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

Ha ha I;m back again !!!!

Right the router is sorted, laptop connected and desktop all connected without wires

BUT now i'm having trouble adding security to the network. I can connect with the laptop but the desktop is having none of it. And i'm having to restore the factory settings in the router to get both connected on a non-secure network.

Is a secure net work that important ??

And.....

Am I right in saying the only way to add this security is by connecting to the router via ethernet and going into the properties via the address bar and adding them that way ???

Or can I secure each pc seperately using windows. Laptop is vista and desktop XP if that helps.

Thanks in advance once more