Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear RP614 v4 and NTL bb. cannot setup router :(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Netgear RP614 v4 and NTL bb. cannot setup router :(

Old 12-04-2008, 14:22   #1
DeadLoss
Inactive

DeadLoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear RP614 v4 and NTL bb. cannot setup router :(

Hi,
Recently bought a Netgear RP614 v4 to setup a simple wired network on 2 Pc's running XP sp2.
Running the setup wizard on the installation cd should have been a straight forward affair but.......The wizard insisted on a static ip setup, although NTL (virginmedia) states that i have a dynamic ip.needless to say, the setup failed no matter how many times i ran through the re boot options. I reported this to Netgear and they suggested :-
1. Reset your router by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds with a paper clip, which you could find next to the antenna on the router.

2. Look at the diagram provided on the bottom of the router to locate this button. Now power off & power back the router.
3. Log in to the router configuration page.

4. Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and access the site: http://192.168.0.1 0r 192.168.1.1

Note: By default, the username is admin, the password is password.

5. Click Setup wizard - it will detect the type of internet connection you have - enter your ISP parameters and save the settings.

Dynamic IP - Click Next and Click Apply to Save the settings. (If you have a Cable Connection)
Tried that ( could not find a Setup wizard to click ) but followed the rest of the instruction. Still no joy.
Sent another support request and the response was similar to the above.

The problem seems to be getting the router to accept that i have a dynamic ip not a static one.

Any suggestions please?

Keith
DeadLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 15:05   #2
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic
Re: Netgear RP614 v4 and NTL bb. cannot setup router :(

Are you using the latest firmware from Netgear?

Netgear's firmware can be problematic sometimes, at least, that's my experience of them.

The firmware can be obtained here.

Even if you're using the latest, it may help to roll back to an earlier version, and then upgrade again. As I say, Netgears can be a little temperamental.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 22:16   #3
DeadLoss
Inactive

DeadLoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Netgear RP614 v4 and NTL bb. cannot setup router :(

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
Tried u r suggestion but the router would have none of it!
Gave up in the end and took it back to the retailer, got a replacement
(same model) it worked 1st time :S

Dead
DeadLoss is offline   Reply With Quote